Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-12-08, 20:03   #1
interstellardave

Default I'd like CD to take 3-4 years to make a truly NEW TR... who's with me?

I haven't played TRU yet... but, whether you love TRU or not, it's still the same old' same old'. I want them to take Tomb Raider to a different level...

I brought this up years ago after the AOD fiasco and it's been discussed many times on the forum by many people, all of whom have had great ideas about what can be done within this framework I'm about to discuss; recently, however, another game has brought this to the forefront of my mind again: Tomb Raider needs to be free-roaming!

I've been playing Fallout 3, a game which took 4 years to make, apparently. Although it's not without it's problems, and it is a different genre of game, it does create a large seamless "world" that you can explore to your hearts' content and engage in all kinds of activities in. This is what the next Tomb Raider should be--but it NEVER will be if the next game is slated to come out 1 or 2 years from now!

I want CD to create a large island environment (to explain why you can't explore on and on and on forever...) that feels like a real place. No levels or any of that. You land on the island and from that point on you explore in any direction you wish. You can go anywhere and try anything right from the start--not that you'd always succeed, of course, you may have to go elsewhere and find something in order to come back and progress further (such as find a missing idol necessary to enter a small temple you've found), but the point is that you'd be truly exploring the game world. In your own time, in your own way--just as if you were there, and didn't have all the answers at your fingertips--and weren't being steered in any particular direction at any point.

As I've said this topic has been discussed numerous times, but other developers are now making this happen--just not w/in the exact style of game that Tomb Raider is. Fallout 3 has numerous people to interact with and is more of an action/RPG than anything... but that's good news for CD. They wouldn't have to put the same amount of work into creating characters, dialogue, and player choices changing storylines in that fashion. CD would just have to create the gameworld and populate it with animals and maybe a few people--the time saved (as compared to Fallout 3) could be spent on dotting the island with the typical large-scale temples and tombs found in traditional Tomb Raider games. Gameplay w/in those areas would be more traditional, but the game as a whole would be an entirely different direction for the Tomb Raider franchise.

I don't know if I'll love TRU or not when I play it, but it doesn't even matter to me at this point. Playing Fallout 3 has changed my expectations. I want a DIFFERENT TR experience from now on... who agrees with me? Would you wait the required 3-4 years for CD to be able to make a good effort in this direction, or do you just want more games in the "traditional" sense?

I'd really like to hear what Keir or Jaywalker thinks of ideas like these...

Last edited by interstellardave; 04-12-08 at 20:09.
interstellardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:18   #2
jackles

I am totally torn. Part of me wants my quick fix of lara, yet the other part would like a great game which plays for 30 hours like a dream etc.
jackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:19   #3
LegendLost

I'm the same, I can't wait that long, but god, we need a truly good game.
LegendLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:19   #4
Drone

money can't wait either

Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:24   #5
ajrich17901

No thanks keep free roaming for games like GTA
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:25   #6
Swaye

I'm totally up for this idea!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:28   #7
Megalith

Eidos is not with you!

I always said that TR games deserve the same kind of treatment franchises like Metal Gear Solid,Resident Evil,Final Fantasy and many others get from their respective publishers.
Unfortunately this was never Eidos policy and look where the series is today...Also i've noticed that for many TR fans this is the only game they play/interested,so they really need to get their fix as soon as possible.:/

Anyway,i hope when the franchise eventually changes hands we'll see some more thought and labor going into it.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:28   #8
Fallen.Angel

I kinda agree at this moment. There are other games to keep me occupied, and other games I can look forward to until the next TR. The more time they put into it, the better the game will be (hopefully).
Fallen.Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:31   #9
Rachael

I really like this idea, and whether they go for the open TR world or not i still hope they take 3-4 years and give us a fuller more complete game.
Rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 20:40   #10
Verdilet

Thumbs up

I love your idea, interstellardave. So long as the essence of the game was classic TR, I'm sure that would be great.
Verdilet is offline   Reply With Quote