www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 08-06-18, 03:15   #1
Danath
Archaeologist

Angry Room Viewer (RView) OpenGL error?

I am facing a BIG problem for properly doing floor zones on Dxtre3D levels.
The tool Room Viewer, made by Turbo Pascal, always hangs when trying to load Texture info into OpenGL with this error:

I am using Windows 10 Home x64 and i have an AMD RX470 videocard. The software is running with admin privileges. I have already tried all compatibility modes, even Win98, nothing works, always the same error...

I have also tried running RView on a Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x86 virtual machines running with VMWare and it doesn't want to work, same error ( VMWare tools is installed and working on both ). The error image shown above is taken from the virtual Win7.

It is driving me crazy. Does this program just hate AMD? I have updated Crimson drivers for the videocard.

Last edited by Danath; 08-06-18 at 03:16.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 08:04   #2
psiko
Archaeologist

Problem does not seem to be on your end, but because rview is an old program which is not getting a proper update since ages. Have you tried to open an official tr file? Maybe yours is too filled with items or has items with too many vertices.. or too many textures. Either way, if it is a tr4 file, try open it with trviewer, and resave with a different name... then, wish you luck and try to use meta2tr, which is a tool which works with trle levels (not with unofficial editor, but opening it with trviewer and saving, might create a compatibility). Meta2tr allows editig room geometry, items editing, with metasequoia, which is a free cad software for games search on google images to watch what it possible to do with meta2tr

Last edited by psiko; 08-06-18 at 08:05.
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 13:57   #3
thewolf
Historian

Try to open an original TR2 base file with the program. If it works your custom file must have an issue.

You could try to run the program on compatibility mode.
thewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 18:25   #4
Danath
Archaeologist

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
Problem does not seem to be on your end, but because rview is an old program which is not getting a proper update since ages. Have you tried to open an official tr file?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Try to open an original TR2 base file with the program. If it works your custom file must have an issue.

You could try to run the program on compatibility mode.
I have successfully opened an official TR2 level file in Win10 by setting the compatibility to Windows 8 ( the only one i didn't try... ) but even then i have the same random error about access violation come up when changing between view modes or switching rooms, etc.

I was able to open the current TR2 level i'm making with the program, by disabling in the options "Load textures in video memory", but the same as above happens, random access errors show up and don't let you work with it. I also tried changing the buffer size in the options ( 32, 24, 16 bits ) but same thing.
All my current levels are edited with TRViewer, so compatibility should be there... I haven't gone over any of the limits ( vertices, textures, objects ).

I guess i could try making a Win8 virtual machine, since it's the only one i didn't try...

Last edited by Danath; 08-06-18 at 18:26.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 19:23   #5
thewolf
Historian

Thumbs up

Yes give win 8 a try , it must work because I have win 8 and it is working fine for me.
Old 08-06-18, 19:38   #6
Danath
Archaeologist

Wink

Quote:
Yes give win 8 a try , it must work because I have win 8 and it is working fine for me.
Do you have an AMD card, or a NVidia? Just curious.
Old 08-06-18, 19:41   #7
thewolf
Historian

Nvidia
Old 08-06-18, 22:19   #8
Danath
Archaeologist

Thumbs down

This is seriously crap. I have made a virtual machine with Win8 and... surprise! It doesn't want to work.
So this means that unless someone has a magical solution, i am unable to do proper zones for my TR2 or 3 maps.

Quote:
Nvidia
Somehow i guessed it.... i mantain my opinion that this program doesn't like AMD cards for some reason.
Old 08-06-18, 23:37   #9
Topixtor
Hobbyist

It works good on my Nvidia win 10 pc.
Do you own any other computer? Even some random and forgotten notebook from years ago You could try Rview on that. Or even on someone else pc
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 23:57   #10
Danath
Archaeologist

Another NVidia user, another one who doesn't have problems with RView...

No, unfortunately i don't have any old PC, and the other PC in the house also uses AMD. So i'm completely screwed.