Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 13-07-14, 18:55   #1
daventry

Smile TR TLA Opening Confusion

Im confused when reading Tutorials about the Game and watching Youtube Videos, plus im playing it. The fact is that everywhere you read the Opening.

From Stella
Quote:
Backstory: Only minutes have passed since the hideous creature that Dr. Willard had become gasped the last breath of its violently short life cycle. The experiment had failed, the gleam of immortality returned to the stars from which it came.
Lara looks on silently, oblivious to the press of the bitter Antarctic wind. Suddenly a ragged figure emerges from the dark, gaping hole of the meteor cavern—it is Willard, a human reborn, but in the throes of death. A hand gestures wildly, a final guttural laugh tears through the silence, the figure slumps forward and is still.
With the snow already forming a ghastly shroud over the body, Lara quickly tears an object form the dead man's grasp. A wallet, its monogrammed "W" now standing sadly against Willard's last earthly remains. Inside, the usual collection of tattered mementos, a hodge-podge of foreign currency and. . . but this cannot be! A familiar expression glides across Lara's face—an eyebrow raised by a wry and knowing smile. Before her, a telegram urging an immediate return to take possession of another artifact now secure beneath the Scottish mists at Willard's Loch Ness estate.
"The adventure continues," says Lara, to nothing but Willard's dark laughter still ringing in her ears. "So there was a fifth.
Where in heavens name is that Opening, how do they even know that or is it all made up by Eidos back in the day.
daventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 19:02   #2
Quebsenuef

I remember reading this somewhere ingame.. can't remember where though. Sorry!

Although it's super odd that that all happened considering Lara steals a helicopter, dodges some missiles, shoots down a chopper, then flies away..

But I guess maybe she dropped some cash while she was climbing out of the crater and decided to go back and see if it was still there, then Willard came about.. Who knows!?
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 19:03   #3
veratinum

The description comes from: TR:TLA disk > Documentation > TRTLA17m.pdf
veratinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 19:09   #4
daventry

Smile

Would've been an Awseome FMV though
daventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 19:29   #5
Adaethus

It's just a bit of backstory they came up with for the game, I think the idea is that all of that happened after Lara defeated Willard but before she left.
Adaethus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 19:42   #6
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaethus View Post
It's just a bit of backstory they came up with for the game, I think the idea is that all of that happened after Lara defeated Willard but before she left.
Makes sense.

However the ending FMV is too narrative for that to happen I think.
But I'll roll with this explanation anyway
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 17:47   #7
Drone

Lost Artifact should've had opening FMV even if it lasted for 20 seconds.
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 18:06   #8
michaeldt

The DLC/Gold expansion packs for TR1-3 should have had cutscenes, full stop.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 22:31   #9
Sardoc

If they had been developed by Core, they would have FMVs.

However, they were developed by a small 3 people Eidos studio in the US. They got the level editor from Core, and they were allowed to make their own textures, but didn't hire the original voice actors (Shelley/Judith).

Different developer isn't a bad thing at all. Quite the opposite: the levels feel a little bit different, but they are awesome. If you hadn't played or fully finished the game before, I'm sure you'll love the secrets in TR3 Gold.

In this expansion, they integrated the story a lot more into the game. Have you noticed what the loading screens show? I'm not gonna say more, because I'm not sure how familiar you are with the game, but let's just say they're worth looking at for a while.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 12:08   #10
sackboy123

Lost Artefact was the best expansion pack and not a lot of people play it theres not even that many let's plays of it I might be one of 3 to actually Let's Play it
sackboy123 is online now   Reply With Quote