Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 04-05-12, 08:26   #51
LuigiEspadachin

Guess who's back? Back again?

Sheepy's back. Tell a friend. Guess who's back? Guess who's back? Guess who's back?

Awesome reviews man.

Hm, the Prologue. It does its job of giving you a "WhoaWTF" level to start off with. I do agree with you there's not much to it, but hey, its the first level. It gets you into the game.

The Med - I love descending into the ocean here. As I mentioned in the AOD Archaelogical dig review, I love TR levels where it feels like you're starting on the journey with Lara instead of meeting her in the tomb or something. The Kraken room, I actually felt quite tense in that room. >.> I was expecting one false step and BAM! Kraken pwns you. So imagine my half relief/disappointment when the kraken dosen't move. I was like "Wut?". Still, its an interesting idea for Crystal to have a puzzle boss. The rest of the level, aside from the glove puzzles is standard fare. l3

The ship level - Not much I can really say about that. Shooter fare. Nice action sequences. But what can ya do.

Keep up the good work
LuigiEspadachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 17:03   #52
mepsipax

I should come out of lurking for this...
Awesome, more Sheepman reviews! I'm expecting three very high scores...
As for the Med Sea review... Meh, I guess I agree with most of it. It's a very 'meh' level in general, apart from a few pretty cool parts. The opening section, finding the little cog/handle-thingys looks a LOT more fun than it actually is. After that, it's pretty good. I don't actually mind the ship section, and the escape bit is excellently done (I just wish it wasn't recycled later on... ). I would have given it 7, for being pretty good, but not great.
Looking forward to the reviews! (Also lmao at your little 'diagnosis's''....).

Last edited by mepsipax; 04-05-12 at 18:03.
mepsipax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 20:03   #53
charliesewell

Excellent Med. Sea final review and conclusion. I agree on mostly every point. I thought it seemed like Desert Railroad as well. The fleeing from the sinking ship was awesome, and took me back to the TR5 days, with the good old submarine!
charliesewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 16:37   #54
MMAN

On the backtracking: When I first started Underworld and had to backtrack out of the first level, while it was semi-annoying I gave it a pass as I thought it was an attempt to make each area feel like a place rather than just a path to the end. Then, at the end of Jan Mayen island, where there was no easy way to backtrack, rather than coming up with another path they just cutscene-teleported Lara out. That was point where it all unravelled and it became obvious the backtracking was nothing more than a lazy way to pad out the playtime.
MMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 22:42   #55
Gracious Days

I'm a little late for this much-anticipated event, my apologies.

The Prologue: I mostly agree with you, it's a nice and exciting start with simple gameplay that does the job for being the first taste of some mechanics. I never thought there was meant to be any explicit 'foreshadowing' as to why the manor is suddenly on fire, and I like that we're left with Zip shooting at Lara, and acknowledging that it's Lara. It left me with what I feel was the more intended, 'What-the-heck-was-that' feeling. I could argue that giving us a more revealing, obvious shot of the doppelganger would've had some complain that not only does Crystal hand-hold with its gameplay, but also now with its plot.

The Med: Again, it is as you descirbe, nothing too special. I like the swimming, but I, like you, ALWAYS spend way too much time going in circles among the various ruins at the bottom looking for missed treasures (I don't think I've ever found them all, actually). Getting past the Kraken I also enjoy. Everything is mostly brown and blah afterward, and it goes a little downhill from there, even though I don't mind the backtracking. Combat aboard Amanda's ship (really, throughout the entire game) is...not too good. I don't like the camera, the slow rate of fire on the pistols, the often-forgotten sticky grenades, the seemingly useless acrobatic dodges, etc. That said, the ship environment itself helps me to forgive this somewhat. The escape as it sinks is nice and cool. On the whole, not bad. *phew*

Looking forward to Thailand, of course.
Gracious Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 23:35   #56
sheepman23

Holy crap, this is going to be a long post. Thanks for the comments everyone, they're much appreciated.

As for Thailand, I've played The Remnants already, but since I have finals next week I'm kind of booked this weekend and I don't know when the next review will pop up. If all goes well, it could be tomorrow or Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiEspadachin View Post
The Med - I love descending into the ocean here. As I mentioned in the AOD Archaelogical dig review, I love TR levels where it feels like you're starting on the journey with Lara instead of meeting her in the tomb or something.
That's a good point you make about the "descending" thing; it does feel like you're getting deeper and deeper as you explore the Norse ruins. I think I mentioned it in my review, but the atmosphere is so dark and foreboding here, and overall the entire "feel" of the level is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepsipax View Post
As for the Med Sea review... Meh, I guess I agree with most of it. It's a very 'meh' level in general, apart from a few pretty cool parts. The opening section, finding the little cog/handle-thingys looks a LOT more fun than it actually is. After that, it's pretty good. I don't actually mind the ship section, and the escape bit is excellently done (I just wish it wasn't recycled later on... ). I would have given it 7, for being pretty good, but not great.
"Meh" pretty much sums up the Med. Sea for me. There nothing bad, but nothing really good either. Even the Kraken and the sinking boat section weren't too great (IMO).

I agree about swimming in the sea; at first glance, it's like "OMG THERE'S SO MUCH TO EXPLORE!!!" But after a bit, it gets tedious and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAN View Post
On the backtracking: When I first started Underworld and had to backtrack out of the first level, while it was semi-annoying I gave it a pass as I thought it was an attempt to make each area feel like a place rather than just a path to the end. Then, at the end of Jan Mayen island, where there was no easy way to backtrack, rather than coming up with another path they just cutscene-teleported Lara out. That was point where it all unravelled and it became obvious the backtracking was nothing more than a lazy way to pad out the playtime.
I could understand if there was actually a really significant difference in the area that we backtrack through, but absolutely NOTHING changes on our way back. Sure, there are a few new parts of the Kraken room we can access, but other than that, it does feel like a cheap excuse to add some minutes of gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracious Days View Post
Combat aboard Amanda's ship (really, throughout the entire game) is...not too good. I don't like the camera, the slow rate of fire on the pistols, the often-forgotten sticky grenades, the seemingly useless acrobatic dodges, etc. That said, the ship environment itself helps me to forgive this somewhat. The escape as it sinks is nice and cool.
Exactly my thoughts. They could've taken the ship environment and created some really nice puzzles, but ultimately the action is just way too much and Lara's awkward combat in Underworld doesn't help that cause. It's funny that you mention the sticky grenades, since I always forget them as well.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 08:37   #57
Mr Tomb

Awesome review sheepman23 !
The prologue : I have to agree with you on this one, this level was exciting and it was the perfect opening to a game, and even though we're going to go through it again the level as a whole looked good .

The Med : here's my problem with this level, I don't know it had all the good elements but lacked the passion or any interesting thing that could make me interested . Besides, the level as a whole seemed bland and full of empty spots, ledges were kind of random to be honest and the swimming didn't live up to expectations . Like I said, The Med had potentials like the swimming in the med and endless oxygén ( is that right ? ) but CD failed to manage them
Mr Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 13:17   #58
misho98

Great reviews. I'm expecting a high score for Thailand

Last edited by misho98; 07-05-12 at 10:42.
misho98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 09:27   #59
jeffareid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
The Kraken, which has tons of tentacles that can stretch in seemingly endless directions, can kill Lara in a heartbeat.
I didn't see any mention of the fact that if Lara turns off her flashlight, she can usually swim in the water without the Kraken attacking her, although I seem to recall that splashing sounds can get it's attention.
jeffareid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 01:49   #60
sheepman23

Thanks for all of the comments guys.

Ugh, I'm getting behind aren't I? I'll continue soon enough, although it might not be 'til later this week. I've got a lot going on at the moment.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote