Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 05-07-17, 15:17   #1
MartimMonteiro

Question Tomb4.exe 4K Steam Version Fix

Hi everyone

A few months ago I created a thread about having issues with TR4's FMV in 4K... I found that innuendo1231 made a 4K tomb4.exe steam version, but like he said, it doesn't work properly..

I was wondering if anyone here could fix his 3840x2160 tomb4.exe for the steam version of the game... He wrote how fix it, but I can't do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo1231 View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pmfs07s3h...m3840.zip?dl=0

No prob. Here it is. I couldn't test it because it doesn't work with the CD version, but I changed the same hex values for 3840x2160
↑ This is the download link for the 4K tomb4.exe steam version..

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo1231 View Post
Anyway... Here's what to do if you want to create your own version:

Download one of the exe's I'd posted earlier. If you have a steam-originating version download the stem exe, if you have a disc version, download the non-steam versions.

Use a hex editor. I recommend hex workshop.

Use hex workshops COMPARE function. Comare an original exe and one that was modified by me. The progam will find the spots that are different in the two exe's. It should only be 4 values (4 two-digit values) that are different. The two middle values control the FOV, that's what you need to fiddle with to make the 16:9 exe look exactly like the 4:3 exe in trems of vertical field of vision. I usually just start a new game and find a particular position where there are clear signs at the top and bottom of the screen that you can compare to. Now save your game and you can load the same position every time.

The bits in the hex editor are in reverse order, so out of the 2 middle 2-digit values, the first 2-digit number is acutally fine tuning and the second 2-digit numer makes a huge change.

Note that the hex numbers go from 0 to F, and the two values are in reverse order, so if you would have this there:

00 04
Then the closest smaller value is:
FF 03.
(smaller value makes bigger fov)

Experiment
If anyone here could help me it would be great and sorry for asking you this, I can't do it alone

Last edited by MartimMonteiro; 09-07-17 at 18:10.
MartimMonteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 09:16   #2
Wooxman

I've never used that .exe but instead applied the widescreen patch to my tomb4.exe to play in 1440p. Additionally I use dgVoodoo to improve the performance and stability of TR II-V. With these tools I can play the games in 1440p without any problems with the FMVs or anything else.

Widescreen patch: http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html
dgVoodoo: http://dege.freeweb.hu
A tutorial for dgVoodoo: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/com...odoo-tutorial/
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 09:39   #3
MartimMonteiro

I use those tools on the 4K tomb4.exe, but it only works with a CD even if you have the steam version... The innuendo1231 tomb4.exe for the steam version works fine, but it is not widescreen (i've tried to use the widescreen patch, but it didn't work).. I was wondering if someone could fix that so I could play without the CD
Old 06-07-17, 09:55   #4
Wooxman

I'm using these tools with the Steam versions and it works fine. With the widescreen patch you've to select the aspect ratio and manually type in the maximum resolution you want. Then you've to select the .exe you want to patch.
Old 06-07-17, 10:29   #5
MartimMonteiro

If I use the original steam .exe the FMV crash, the innuendo1231's .exe is the only one that lets me play the game in 3840x2160 with the FMV working perfectly
Old 06-07-17, 10:36   #6
Wooxman

Have you tried using dgVoodoo? It emulates a Voodoo graphics card and makes the old games work better on modern systems. Maybe it can help with your FMV problem.
Old 06-07-17, 11:31   #7
MartimMonteiro

Yes, I use Voodoo and the widescreen patch and still the FMV won't work because the game is in 4K (3840x2160), only the 4K .exe works for me, but I would like to play the game without the CD and with the right aspect radio, since I bought it on steam
Old 06-07-17, 12:27   #8
Wooxman

That's weird... I play it at 1440p which isn't 4k but also a "unusually" high resolution and the FMVs work fine. Have you tried setting the game to a lower resolution?
Old 06-07-17, 12:46   #9
MartimMonteiro

Yes I did and they only start working at 1080p which doesn't look good in a 4K screen :/ I tried to do what innuendo1231 said to fix the 4K Steam .exe, but I don't understand how the hex editor works... Isn't there anyone who could help me? There might be others having the same problem that I have...
Old 15-08-17, 19:58   #10
daninthemix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartimMonteiro View Post
Hi everyone

A few months ago I created a thread about having issues with TR4's FMV in 4K... I found that innuendo1231 made a 4K tomb4.exe steam version, but like he said, it doesn't work properly..

I was wondering if anyone here could fix his 3840x2160 tomb4.exe for the steam version of the game... He wrote how fix it, but I can't do it myself

↑ This is the download link for the 4K tomb4.exe steam version..

If anyone here could help me it would be great and sorry for asking you this, I can't do it alone
I used the one that innuendo uploaded, and then applied the TR 2-4 widescreen patch (just the aspect ratio fix only, I didn't touch camera distance or FOV) and that looked fine to me at 4K

Seemed to me like innuendo sorted the FOV / camera distance but forgot to do the aspect ratio.
daninthemix is offline   Reply With Quote