www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 03-08-05, 00:18   #1
FallenxFromxLight

I know this discussion was brought up before but while watching Cradle of Life all the way through some things seemed to bother me. Not only does Legend mirror half of the locations from Cradle of Life, but Lara is also going after a well known myth (Pandora's box) in this movie as well. Naturally she probably wont pursue the box in this game..but here are some points of interest:

First is the distinctive similiarity between Lara's hairstyle in Legend and in Cradle of Life. If you put the two side by side they're almost exactly alike. Lara has a bluetooth headset much like in the movies and her boots are literally the same brand as jolie wears in both movies. She also now has the guns from the movies in her possession.

Character similiraties aside, anyone notice how they share half the locations?

Shared Locations
Malaysia/Japan
Africa
Russia

I'm pretty sure it shares at least one more but I cant remember off the top of my head.

It's just a little disturbing cause it makes Crystal Dynamics seem very unoriginal. I watch Cradle of Life and I think "Okay, that's in Legend...so is that...wow so is that...okay what the heck, that's in Legend too."

Just a suggestion to Eidos if they see this: DONT MAKE IT LIKE THE MOVIES. The movies were okay, but nothing spectacular, so making it like the movies is almost spelling certain doom.

[ 03. August 2005, 01:19: Message edited by: Derek -FallenxFromxLight- ]
FallenxFromxLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 01:27   #2
SMSL
Professor

I actually find Legend much more in par with the first movie, not the second. The bluetooth headset in COL has that thing for the eye, while the one used on the first movie is simple, just like in Legend. The color palette for Lara's accessories, even the guns, tend more to the golden and brownish colors, while the first movie used much more black for the accessories. The boots, the pistols, the belt, the backpack, all is very close to the first movie.

About locations, COL goes also to Greece and London, being London the other common point, due to the mansion. But the environments I've seen on Legend again remind me more of the first movie, the jungles and lost temples in Cambodja.

All and all, if they're good ideas, I don't care from where they take them and, if the visuals for the game are borrowing some inspiration from the movies, both Lara and the environments are looking terrific, I think, so it was a good choice.
Old 03-08-05, 01:37   #3
xMiSsCrOfTx
Tomb Raider

No matter where the ideas are from, the game will still probably be amazing. The locations in COL were very good ones, don't get me wrong, but IMO I'd like to see Lara visit somewhere we haven't explored much of already.
Old 03-08-05, 01:49   #4
shockwave_pulsar00
Archaeologist

Derek -FallenxFromxLight-, Angelina didn't go to Malaysia or Japan in Cradle of Life. She was in China, not those other two countries. She went to the continet Aisa many times, but hasn't been to the above places in any of the games.

Also about Africa.....

Is it really fair to say that Legend is copying COL because Lara is going back to Africa again? She went there in TR 1 and 4 when she was in Egypt. Now she is going to Ghana in Legend and in COL she went to Kenya.

The guns have been used in TR:AOD, so why not use them in this game(I think they are cool, lol).

As SMSL said, I don't think borrowing some equipment from a movie is really going to make the gameplay or story bad. Now to base a game on one of the movies would be a bad move(even though I like them).

[ 04. August 2005, 03:33: Message edited by: shockwave_pulsar00 ]
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 03:12   #5
FallenxFromxLight

Well, i was pretty sure she was in malaysia due to her jumping off of that very tall building (very similar to one of the concept arts) and I thought it was the same place.
FallenxFromxLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 11:15   #6
Greenkey2
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Origianlly posted by Derek-FallenxFromxLight-:
Well, i was pretty sure she was in malaysia due to her jumping off of that very tall building
I thought it was Singapore ? I've only seen COL once though . Can someone please set me straight?

Going on what we do know, I'm quite looking forward to the locations in Legend .
Greenkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 11:26   #7
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

There was hardly any actual Tomb Raiding going on in COL... that right there will significantly distinguish the game from the movie regardless of locations.

For example: saying she went to Russia in the movie and also in the game is a big stretch. We saw her in Russia for maybe 5 minutes, just to get that guy out of prison. I'm sure the game activity will be quite a bit different.

Also Africa is a continent that still has much land area that is unexplored or at least "untamed". It's the perfect fit for any Tomb Raider game provided it's not Egypt every time!

As for other elements, such as hair style, guns, headset, etc., I see no detriment to them being similar in look or anything else. That stuff is just like Lara's boobs: cosmetic (yeah, even the guns, because it seems they work just like they always did).
Old 03-08-05, 11:30   #8
Pietras
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by Greenkey2:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Origianlly posted by Derek-FallenxFromxLight-:
Well, i was pretty sure she was in malaysia due to her jumping off of that very tall building
I thought it was Singapore ? I've only seen COL once though . Can someone please set me straight?

Going on what we do know, I'm quite looking forward to the locations in Legend .
</font>[/QUOTE]She was in Hong Kong due to her jumping off of that very tall building. It was 2 International Financial Center:

Pietras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 12:37   #9
LaRaMaster
Archaeologist

It dont matter where the ideas come from :s

I know the game will ROCK !

Lara is back !
Old 03-08-05, 12:41   #10
MikeJM
Historian

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRaMaster: