Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 08-07-20, 14:05   #1
jackraider
Inactive

Default Amulet of Power Novel (SPOILERS)

I just finished this and I guess it bridges the gap between TR4 & AOD. For example, the ending Lara goes to France to visit Von Croy, which sets up AOD. However, my question is where does The Lost Cult and Man of Bronze fit in? Do those take place sometime after AOD or a continuation of Amulet of Power novel?
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 17:50   #2
gioA

From what I remember they both take place after aod, with only a few references to it. But it is a while since I read them. Did you enjoy the novel? I think the three of them are quite good in terms of the spirit of classic tr. I know some people have commented negatively on some of the detail in things like weapons. Do you have the other two? I know they are hard to find cheaply now.
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 18:36   #3
jackraider
Inactive

It’s obviously not Core’s or Murti’s vision , but it’s better than nothing. I nice gap in between. I own Lost Cult too. Haven’t started it yet might play Action Adventure DVD before if lost cult takes place after.
Old 08-07-20, 20:47   #4
Girafarig32

I liked The Amulet of Power a lot and I really don't understand all the negativity it receives. It was pretty faithful to the classic TR vibes with some interesting but BELIEVABLE headcannons added to make it interesting. I wish I knew where my copy of it went. Didn't read the others yet.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 21:09   #5
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I just finished this and I guess it bridges the gap between TR4 & AOD. For example, the ending Lara goes to France to visit Von Croy, which sets up AOD. However, my question is where does The Lost Cult and Man of Bronze fit in? Do those take place sometime after AOD or a continuation of Amulet of Power novel?
I'll quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
I just started to read 'The Lost Cult' book, which supposed to happen after AoD.

There is a small mention of it, which makes me wonder, when these books were written exactly, because all 3 were released in 2003. Also, I'm curious how much background were given to the writers.

So... according to Murti, Lara never really cleared her name.
The Lost cult's prologue on the other hand built upon this:

She's on Interpol's list, as in she has to be stopped at 3 countries. It is not specified, but if you played AoD you know it's France and Czech republic ... and Germany, which never made it to the game.
She's also paying several deposits for lawyers, because of what happened in these countries and because of Von Croy's death.
So, to clear her name (or at least to get clearence in those countries) she accepted a job. Not specified from who, but she was carried by the australian air force above the indian ocean.
She fulfilled her part of the bargain, so when the book actually starts, she has a clean dossier.
Didn't started the third book yet.

Last edited by Zsott; 08-07-20 at 21:20.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 22:01   #6
jackraider
Inactive

Cool, I'm going to start Lost Cult. For me Angel of Darkness PS2/PC experience is obsolete. This is the order I prefer for Classic TR;

TR1-3
The Last Revelation
(Chronicles)
Amulet of Power
The Action Adventure
The Lost Cult
Man of Bronze

I don't even count Chronicles or Angel of Darkness. I thought the Action Adventure DVD condensed and summed up the story for it to work as a standalone and to erase confusion via the actual console/PC mess. The way I see it, Kurtis dies and Lara destroys Karel and the Nephilim. So really The Action Adventure DVD leads into the Lost Cult novel if your following the classic chronological canon. At the end of The Action Adventure, Lara says she has found Von Croys Murderer, will carry his memory, wherever her future takes her.

All you need to experience Classic Lara is a PSOne console, a DVD/Blu-Ray Player, and the novels. I've never read the classic comics, but always figured that was its own universe.

Last edited by jackraider; 08-07-20 at 22:11.
Old 08-07-20, 22:27   #7
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post

I don't even count Chronicles or Angel of Darkness.
I do... I mean it's interesting to think while the power of the amulet happens, in england Chronicles taking place where a whole nation mourns her.

Quote:
I thought the Action Adventure DVD condensed and summed up the story for it to work as a standalone and to erase confusion via the actual console/PC mess.
I'm not really familiar with this... I saw a video or two, but not the whole thing, unfortunately.

Quote:
The way I see it, Kurtis dies and Lara destroys Karel and the Nephilim. So really The Action Adventure DVD leads into the Lost Cult novel if your following the classic chronological canon. At the end of The Action Adventure, Lara says she has found Von Croys Murderer, will carry his memory, wherever her future takes her.
I disagree... like I said in my post,the Lost Cult's prologue is focusing on how she (supposedly, because acoording to Murti she never really achieved that) cleared her name.After all, she still broke into the Louvre, escaped the police despite being innocent, the explosions in Paris (in the ghetto, at Von Croy's place) and we didn't counted the events of Prague yet.
Though, it doesn't dismiss the fact that she came to terms with Von Croy's death and forgave him. (which was also shown in a cut segment of the flashback FMV)
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 10:08   #8
gioA

Girafarig32, I agree with you. The main critism I've seen about amulet is inconsequential things like having the wrong type of gun compared to the games. I don't let things like that get in the way of a good story.
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 02:34   #9
jackraider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioA View Post
The main critism I've seen about amulet is inconsequential things like having the wrong type of gun compared to the games. .
That didn't bug me at all because after TR4, Lara had different kinds of pistols anyway in AOD/ The Action Adventure DVD.
Old 10-07-20, 20:37   #10
.snake.

For me the main flaw in that book is how the author says Lara survived the collapse of the Temple of Horus in Edfu... when we know the Temple of Horus that Lara gets trapped in at the end of TR4 is in Giza beneath the Great Pyramid.

It seems the author wasn't given the correct information, and he then did some of his own research. There is a real Temple of Horus at the town of Edfu in Egypt, but that is hundreds of miles south of the Great Pyramid at Giza, which is where Core placed their fictional Temple of Horus. This sort of major flaw in staying in tune with the game's canon really irks me.

Furthermore, the book ends with Lara saying something like she's in the mood to go to Paris and buy Von Croy a nice dinner... which once again totally goes against the canon of TR4, 5, and how AOD opens which clearly shows that there's bad blood between them both.

Again, it's probably that the author (who isn't a TR gamer or fan) was given bad/weak plot point advice from Core and was asked to make due. Still, that's why this book sort of doesn't fit in as a satisfying bridge between the events of TR4 and AOD.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote