Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 10-02-18, 09:10   #1
HD Simplicityy

Default Greatest and most memorable game performances

In terms of writing, character development, and pure acting, what game performances stand out most to you? What are your favorites, or those you deem the greatest in game history?

As for me:
-- Steve Downes as Master Chief - John 117. While he's a quiet character and doesn't talk a lot, Steve breathed life into Chief like no one else could. His performance in Halo 4 is arguably his best in the series. Remember Cortana's death scene at the end of 4? Easily the best scene of the two characters so far in the series. I hope Steve finishes Chief's journey before he gets too old, and does it well; its been the most memorable gaming journey of my life.

-- Might as well put Jen Taylor down too. Her portrayal as Cortana has been vital to Halo - she's bought wit, sarcastic humor, intelligence, and toughness that makes her memorable.

-- Ashley Johnson as Ellie. An obvious one, to me. I mean...who can remember being so impressed by her? I know I was. Thanks to Neil Druckmann's writing, and the chemistry between her and Troy Baker, she gave an outstanding performance. Seriously excited for what awaits us on Part II!

--Yes....also Troy Baker as Joel. Troy...he's just too good. As much as I want new, fresh voice and performance acting in games, his portrayal as Joel showed his conflict -his turn from a grieving father who lost Sarah to a surrogate father to Ellie - in a simple, subtle and powerful way.

--Melina Juergens as Senua. Wooow! Absolutely one of the greatest performances ever in a game. For someone with zero acting experience, she was just sensational. Senua's psychosis, hallucinations, and struggles to literally fight her own demons, in the form of mythological creatures, is intense and emotional. A major part of why Hellblade is one of the most visually and audibly powerful games I've ever played is how her acting combines with the gameplay.

--Nolan North and Emily Rose as Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher. The best (eventual) married couple I've seen in games. They're sarcastic, funny, but also show strain. They depict a relatively realistic relationship through their four games, and in Uncharted 4 they put a perfect cap on it.

Trying to consider any others. I'll come back if I need to add more.
I reaalllyy want to add Ashly Burch as Aloy, but I don't know...

Wants to add more Xbox characters

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 10-02-18 at 09:26.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 18:42   #2
Cochrane
Golden

Fun fact: I haven’t played any of the games in the OP. I think I really should.

I’ll look up the names later, but great examples of voice acting I recall immediately:

- Booker and Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite. Been meaning to replay that, actually.
- Everyone in Saints Row IV. They all seem to be having a lot of fun, and so are we. And for such a silly game, it is surprisingly adept at telling real stories.
- The little sister in Gone Home. Great story, very effectively told, most of it through the environment. But the voice acting is absolutely crucial, too.
- Davey Wreden’s character in “The Beginner’s Guide”. The first game I ever played that was all about expressing oneself through game design, and how you can get that right and wrong. Well made and well acted. While “The Stanley Parable” is probably stronger overall, this is the one that really tells a story.
- I’ve been meaning to finish Deeamfall Chapters, but the first game and what I played of this were both amazing.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 19:03   #3
biscuits

-Jennifer Hale is one of the many reasons as to why Commander Shepard is my favourite video game character of all time.

-I LOVED Hannah Telle as Max Caulfield in Life is Strange. Ashly Burch also did a wonderful job as Chloe Price.

-All three leads in GTA V deserve a mention. I liked all three characters.

-I really like Camilla Luddington's performance as reboot Lara. She was one of many reasons as to why I fell in love with the character.

-I also really enjoyed the performances of all four leads in FFXV. I LOVED everything about that cast. I don't think I would have loved the game as much as I did if it wasn't for them.

Last edited by biscuits; 10-02-18 at 19:04.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 20:21   #4
paulojr_mam

I'm not one to take attention to this sort of thing. But GLadoS and Wheatley were awesome in the Portal games.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 21:28   #5
HD Simplicityy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
-Jennifer Hale is one of the many reasons as to why Commander Shepard is my favourite video game character of all time.

-I LOVED Hannah Telle as Max Caulfield in Life is Strange. Ashly Burch also did a wonderful job as Chloe Price.

-All three leads in GTA V deserve a mention. I liked all three characters.

-I really like Camilla Luddington's performance as reboot Lara. She was one of many reasons as to why I fell in love with the character.

-I also really enjoyed the performances of all four leads in FFXV. I LOVED everything about that cast. I don't think I would have loved the game as much as I did if it wasn't for them.
I considered Hannah Telle. She was great and all...just not on the level, in my opinion, of those I listed. Ashly was good, but she's better as Aloy.
And I also thought of Camilla. Seeing as the reboot games have struggles with some, not all, characterization (arguable), I decided not to mention her. But she's amazing anyway.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 00:24   #6
Moosey

Another vote for Ashly Burch as Chloe Price. Literally could not have been any better for her character. I was really disappointed when she didn't return for Before the Storm Rhianna Devries did a very good job playing her though as well.. but it didn't feel the same.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 20:23   #7
Dennis's Mom

Terence Carter as Kratos in God of War. He really does a nice job, and give some great readings to obvious lines. God of War has some great VA period IMO.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 21:06   #8
Nigel Cassidy

Andy Serkis as King Bohan in Heavenly Sword. Actually, all the villains in that game are pure gold:

And then there is also the guy who plays Blake Dexter in Hitman Absolution.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 21:14   #9
Quebsenuef

- Everyone in TLOU. Joel, Ellie, Tess, all the way to the evil dude who I think his name is Jacob but I think it’s david and I’m too lazy to look it up. He’s got the creeps for Ellie... that guy.

- Nolan North as Nathan Drake and Claudia Black as Chloe Frazer in the Uncharted Series.

- Most of the main characters from GTA4. That game really feels like a city full of some of the best and worst kinds of humans. They’re all three dimensional as well. You learn to care for those who help you and hate those who betray you.

- David Hayter as Snake in the MGS series. A lot of the villains as well, like Revolver Ocelot played by ... Patrick Zimmerman? I think Again, too lazy to look it up.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 22:18   #10
Yeauxleaux

I agree so much on Nathan and Elena from Uncharted, and I'd add Chloe's voice as well. I love the petty back-and-forth teasing between them, nicely written and delivered perfectly by the actors. I could listen to a conversation between two or all three of them for hours and still be entertained, it's like something off Friends.

The Last of Us is an artistic masterpiece in terms of both writing and acting (even though as a game I don't think it's as strong as everyone makes out).

I remember being impressed by a lot of the voice actors in the first X-Men Legends game. There weren't many super dramatic scenes in it, but most of the actors really nailed the voices of the characters (Wolverine, Cyclops, Emma Frost and Jean Grey's actors really stood out).
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote