Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding > XNALara

Old 12-01-12, 03:19   #1
don-cotton

Default Blender problem with removing doubles

hey Blender-Pro's,

I'm a bloody Blender noob so please excuse, but I can't seem to fix this problem. None of the tutorials I've read were of any help either.

Here we go.
Removing doubles seems to cause problems on the hair part.
It comes out all messy. I thought flipping normals might help, but it doesn't.

Please take a look at the pictures attached.

Does it have to do with the normals facing the wrong way, or them being double sided, ...transparent... are they? :-/
Any idea what I'm doing wrong/what I'm supposed to do instead?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by don-cotton; 12-01-12 at 03:20.
don-cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 03:30   #2
alpha91

I have not yet done anything for XNAlara but I have created and or converted plenty of hair for oblivion, fallout 3 and new vegas. My own advice is to never remove doubles from hair meshes.

the problems you are seeing can be corrected though, you will need to go into edit mode and select the effected areas and flip only those areas, you are selecting to much at once and as a result you are flipping spots that should not be flipped

this does not always need to done though if its only a few spots here and there i normally leave it alone

when its all done done do not forget to press ctrl+a and apply your changes

Last edited by alpha91; 12-01-12 at 03:31.
alpha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 03:42   #3
don-cotton

That sounds reasonable. I'll try.
Thank's alpha!!

Edit: Wow, works like a charm. Thank you so much alpha!!!

Last edited by don-cotton; 12-01-12 at 04:05.
Old 12-01-12, 20:17   #4
Love2Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by don-cotton View Post
Does it have to do with the normals facing the wrong way, or them being double sided, ...transparent... are they? :-/
Yeah, that. ;-)))
A combination of those. The Tekken 6 models have awful, truly awful hair meshes to work with. Some pieces have double sided faces, some not, seems completely random. And many flipped normals. Nina is one of the early models released, more recent ones should be okay.

Last edited by Love2Raid; 12-01-12 at 20:19.
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 20:51   #5
RazKurdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Raid View Post
The Tekken 6 models have awful, truly awful hair meshes to work with.
Beyond awfulness I would say XD
RazKurdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 22:15   #6
don-cotton

Thanks for clearing that up Love2raid.
Doing as Alpha suggested is such a pain (flipping each of the faces seperately). Flipping one face (is that even the right term for it?) has an effect on the faces next to it and so on, it's like a really tedious puzzle ... but a puzzle, nonetheless, so it's kind of fun :-/

I'm trying to release some Tekken models, since a lot of them have been taken off the recap archive. (?)

Love2raid and RazKurdt, I just noticed you've been working on T6 models too, is it OK if I come back to you for advice if I run into any other problem giving me a headache? Also Alpha's and anyone else's advices are higly welcome.

Last edited by don-cotton; 12-01-12 at 22:17.
Old 13-01-12, 00:11   #7
RazKurdt

Yeah sure, I've only updated one, but I could try to help. To be sure you're doing things right, don't hesitate to switch the Draw type from Solid to Textured from time to time, as sometime you can't see the real result in Solid. Well, besides that, only patience is required.

A good amount of it.
Old 13-01-12, 04:48   #8
alpha91

Quote:
Originally Posted by don-cotton View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Love2raid.
Doing as Alpha suggested is such a pain (flipping each of the faces seperately). Flipping one face (is that even the right term for it?) has an effect on the faces next to it and so on, it's like a really tedious puzzle ... but a puzzle, nonetheless, so it's kind of fun
once you get the hang of it you'll notice that your future projects take far less time, well until you run into that hair mesh with a 200k poly count.
alpha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-12, 05:41   #9
don-cotton

Here we go again.
Alphas method worked wonders and I finished all that, but I stumbled over another problem.

I have 2 totally different objects sharing the same texture, no matter what I do.
As you can see in the picture the 2 little tear ducts (counting them as one object since they are supposed to share the same texture) are somehow not separate from the mouth cavity.

So if I select the eyeducts the mouth cavity will automatically be selected too, as if one object.
Now whenever I put a texture on one, the other one will have the exact same texture.

I've tried separating the tearduct parts from the mouth part, and visually it works (at least in edit mode) and one of them will be renamed (xxx.001)
but still I can't seem to have them behave as two separate object since they still share everything except the name.

How to properly separate them? Any idea?

Old 14-01-12, 08:41   #10
RazKurdt

Keep in mind that i'm not a pro, but when this happen, I tend to consider this as a glitch, so I usually export the model and assign the guilty textures in notepad, then import the model again, and everything is fine. But there might be other solutions though!