Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 15-11-18, 19:10   #1
MilkShakespear

Default Underworld Wii, worth the replay?

So TRA has a pile of Wii specific gameplay, and even a new room in Croft Manor.

Does TRU have any wii specific gameplay? How much?
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 02:35   #2
WhoIAm

If you're comparing it with the PS3/360/PC version, the Wii version is practically a different game. The basic designs are similar, but the level layouts are sometimes completely different with exclusive puzzles. For example, you get a significantly different (and nicer IMO) Croft Manor section, with an entire waterwheel room that was cut out of the HD version, and an extended biking sequence in Jan Mayen Island.

It's actually a pretty nice version of the game, if noticeably gimped compared to its big brothers. As it was developed in parallel by Buzz Monkey outside of Crystal Dynamics, it actually retains some features that were cut out of the HD version - such as the waterwheel room described above. It's worth playing as it's practically a second version of Underworld. It has some stuff utilizing the Wii's pointer that replaces switches in other versions of the game.

The one to avoid is the PS2 version. Yes, it's a third "version" of the game, but it's just the Wii one with all the polish, puzzles, and combat stripped out.
WhoIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 17:34   #3
MilkShakespear

YES! Thank you for the thorough response! That's exactly the news I was hoping for.

Look out Ebay! Time to raider the Underworld!
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-18, 00:58   #4
Portugalraider

The levels are actually well designed, and I have to say that Croft Manor is much better than the HD version because of that water-wheel segment that was cut for the "Beneath the Ashes" DLC, and I actually prefer the Xibalba Trap Rooms segment of this version to the one in the HD version: they have a nice Fire/Ice motif that was actually quite cool.

Just be careful that this version is really buggy. You can get a nasty bug in Thailand where a lever gets missing and you cant progress (there is a "patched" save file that crystal provided and was available at TRC, though, if you get it )
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 21:12   #5
Samz

I like Wii Underworld a good bit, while it's sadly got really dumbe down combat, (Regen health and infinite ammo for anything that isn't grenades and you can't choose your secondary weapon) I really like how Lara can interact with gears for small gear puzzles and the tool kit is immersive.

These wii-exclusive elements I feel could enhance the main games if they were brought into them.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-18, 15:40   #6
Legends

I've never played Anniversary or Underworld on Wii. Maybe I should get those games and actually try them on my old console.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 08:58   #7
Pyro99

I think it's worth it, and I'm definitely curious to try it. PS3/Xbox/PC is the "real version", Wii is like an "alternate" version, and then PS2 is just the Wii one horrendously dumped down
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote