Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 13-08-07, 15:00   #1
blu39

Default Tombraider or Anniversary!

Hi all!

Haven't been on here for a while but I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the anniversary game and original platinum tombraider game.

I've done Anniversary dozens of times now and for something to do, I thought I'd go back and do the original Tombraider.

To be honest, now that I've finished the original, I find myself comparing the two games and Tombraider comes up the lesser game.

I'm not putting it down, these are only my own views on it but I did find it a let down after playing Anniversary. Its good in its own way, and certainly for 96 which is what introduced me to Lara and Playstation it was good, but after seeing the beautiful graphics and challenging levels of Anniversary, it was really just a shoot and kill kind of game and didn't really challenge the player at all. I was amazed at how easy it was to kill the atlanteans and natla in the game since it was just point and shoot. Okay, it had more levels but that was all it was.

For me, Anniversary was the better game and I take my hat off to CD who made such a good game even better in my view and certainly more challenging than just filling everything with lead.

I wonder how many of you feel the same or are you all for the original with all its shoot em up style.

Blu
blu39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 15:13   #2
maximum_123
Golden

TR 1 easily - TRA doesn't even scratch the surface
maximum_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 15:19   #3
Legend of Lara

Tomb Raider 1 will ALWAYS the the best... although TR3 looks pretty damn awesome as well...
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 15:32   #4
jungle raider

TR1 for me but i like tr2 most
jungle raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 15:38   #5
-Roli-

TR1, of course!! Crystal Dinamycs never made/making a really Tomb Raider... Core Design is the best!! - Really TR-feeling
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 15:55   #6
tomblover

Core Design is the God of Tomb Raider and always will be. TR1 is the better game IMO, and the countless shooting in TRA became boring after the first 3 enemies. In TR1 you would always be a bit surprised whenever an enemy popped up, and that added to the scary feeling of the game. (I just jumped out of my chair once in TRA, and that was when playing the demo and that goddamn bear hopped onto me.)

Though my all-time favorite TR is actually TR3.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 15:58   #7
SamReeves

Both are great for their eras. It would be hard to judge them just on graphics alone. Though I did enjoy the shreds of a plot CD threw in to make Lara a bit more realistic than Core did.
SamReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 16:02   #8
domina

I really can't compare them. I guess that's kind of weird because they have the same storyline, the same levels, the same characters, etc., but they're just in two separate categories for me. Apples and oranges, if you will.

TR was meant to be an original game, and it was. It was incredibly innovative for its time in pretty much every regard: the main character, the movements, the level design and so on. And I think for that reason, the reason the TR started it all, you'll probably find that just about every person here will say TR is better than Anniversary.

But, Anniversary wasn't meant to be a new game. It wasn't supposed to be innovative, like TR, or reinvent the series, like AOD. It was a tribute (and a way for CD to make Lara's past work with Legend, but that's another matter), and tributes can't compare with the game, story, song, etc. that they're celebrating.

For me, I can't say one or the other is better, but I do like playing Anniversary more. It's modern, it's beautiful, and while I love the original TR, I do struggle a bit playing the older TR games now.
domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 17:21   #9
silver_wolf

Tomb Raider 1 is certainly longer and more difficult, however: this is largely due to the fact that Lara is slower and there are lots of long hallways. Because she is slower and less agile it takes longer to get somewhere and do something, and it is harder to avoid enemies and traps. If you take that into account, I think you'll find that both TR1 and Anniversary are equal in length and difficulty. Anniversary has deadlier traps and enemies, but because Lara is faster and more nimble, she can avoid them easier, and that sort of balances it out with TR1.
silver_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 17:24   #10
Joe_16

I still prefer the original
Joe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote