Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 28-04-10, 15:18   #1
Smog

Default Taking apart your stuff; a good idea?

Lately my laptop screen has taken up flickering annoyingly whenever I adjust the hinge. It's not a huge deal and doesn't happen all the time, and it even gives it a bit of scrawny character, which is almost cute (call me weird ). It's still a bit worrying though. Also my PS3 decided it didn't want to read discs anymore a few weeks ago. I'm led to believe that this is probably a problem with the laser and could easily be fixed if the unit was deconstructed and the offending part cleaned with a swab. But...

Take apart my machines? There are countless videos on YouTube detailing in faultless clarity how to to do the job yourself, but I just don't trust myself. Pay a hundred pounds to have some else to it right, or take it upon myself and risk screwing things up even further? Not to mention the enormous and inevitable plummet in self-esteem if things go wrong.

So do you have the proverbial balls or expertise to deconstructive your own expensive and fragile electronic equipment? Have you done so in the past? Did it go disastrously wrong, or did you manage to pull it off?
Smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 15:19   #2
Nenya awakens
Golden

I am rubbish at doing this like that, I managed to fit a new graphics card in my Pc last year, but that's as far as it goes.
Nenya awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 15:22   #3
Alpharaider47

I'm pretty handy, but I've done a lot of this stuff before. I got the red rings of death on my xbox, but I took the case apart and vacuumed the thing out, never had any more trouble with it.
Once you do similar stuff, then you become more confident in your abilities (at least I did) and can probably fix a lot of this stuff yourself.
Alpharaider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 15:26   #4
]{eith

I've taken laptops, computers and consoles apart and have never really been unlucky. I was usually able to fix the problem. Out of everything I've repaired myself though, a DELL Inspiron charger was the hardest. O_O
]{eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 16:24   #5
CelticGuard

Haven't taken a lot of stuff apart but at least lucky when I have.

I just fixed some headphones (if that counts?)
CelticGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 16:27   #6
robm_2007

i am in no way good at repairing electronics. but my cousins PS2 wasnt reading discs.

so, i decided to get a mini screwdriver, and i took off all of the screws and opened it up.

inside, there is a square piece of metal tape, which has wires connected to it. it wasnt sticking to the spot that i assumed it was supposed to be, so i reattached it.

there was also several dust bunnies, and a feather! (the kind from a pillow.)

after that, it worked fine.

but i would say that you should save up your money to get it fixed by a pro, that way, you dont mess it up if you try.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 16:53   #7
Alpharaider47

You could also try one of those cleaner discs with the bristles. It won't hurt the console, and if it's just dirty that outta fix the problem.
Alpharaider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 17:00   #8
irjudd

Oh yeah, I can't think of an electronic device in my home that I haven't taken apart at least once. Whether it be to fix it or just to see how it works. I've never broken anything beyond repair in the process.
irjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 17:02   #9
Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjudd View Post
I've never broken anything beyond repair in the process.
I beg to differ.

I've taken apart my desktop pc and stuff and it worked fine afterwards.
Nerd For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 17:10   #10
Love2Raid

So far a PSP, XBOX360, PS2 (fat one), PC and car radio (just replaced the radio, not opened the thing itself). No problems so far...
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote