www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 11-09-18, 13:23   #13401
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

About to watch the movie again to hype me up for Shadow
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 20:11   #13402
Grizzly Bear
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
About to watch the movie again to hype me up for Shadow
I did the same yesterday night! I almost can't believe we're so close!

By the way, I got the steelbook and it's even better than I expected! It has my three favourite shots of Alicia (the poster with the axe (I'm not a big fan of the main poster so I'm glad they chose this one), the one with the bow and the one from that final scene that was cut), I'm so happy that I got it and I imagine that it will be very expensive in a few time.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 11-09-18 at 20:33.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-18, 09:55   #13403
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

If Shadow performs well I think Square Enix should start developing CGI films for streaming services and limited cinema release in Asian territories. Their final fantasy movies work really well and the Biohazard films are quite popular. Tomb Raider has good brand recognition after the Chinese success at the box office too.
Old 16-09-18, 20:49   #13404
CraigL
Student

I'm watching the movie right now. Lara's just killed for the first time. Such a brutal and powerful scene. I really want a sequel. I don't think it'll happen but after the set up with Ana I want to see where that was going.
Old 18-09-18, 05:17   #13405
Grizzly Bear
Explorer

Probably I'm the only one but I think that a 1:1 adaptation (with some cuts of course) of TR13 would have worked better,
The best scenes (for me) were the first kill, the impalement scene and the coffin scene; all of them were more violent/brutal than the regular tone of the movie.
I believe that a rated M version of Tomb Raider would have worked better with USA audience, too.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 07:51   #13406
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Probably I'm the only one but I think that a 1:1 adaptation (with some cuts of course) of TR13 would have worked better,
The best scenes (for me) were the first kill, the impalement scene and the coffin scene; all of them were more violent/brutal than the regular tone of the movie.
I believe that a rated M version of Tomb Raider would have worked better with USA audience, too.
Some people are going to tell you you're wrong but you're right.

100% right.
Old 18-09-18, 09:26   #13407
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Problem is this kind of movie would have cost a lot of money. Tomb Raider as a cinematic franchise is always stuggling with budget since the first movie with Angelina they ditch the Achilles Shield because it will have cost too much to make.

Also don't forget TR as a cinematic franchise in the early 2000 have success because of Angelina and nothing else.

So you are a studio who have a lot of hit and miss recently and you gambling on a first movie who could be a potential franchise you don't want to spend a lot on a first try and repeat the issues with LC TR 2001 (Paramount fired Simon West because he was over budget but everyone seems to have forgotten this). Ad to this Alicia Vikander who isn't American and doesn't have what some of the peoples expect from Lara to have (If you know what I mean).

There was a lot of risk in this story.

Thankfully they have made a good start with what they have. ^^

Last edited by Ellioft; 18-09-18 at 09:27.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 09:28   #13408
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
I'm not so sure a 100% adaption of the game cinematics would have worked, but I do 100% agree that a more mature rating may have done the movie a favour with the US audience, but this may then have had a negative for the Chinese market.

At the end of the day, WB did a rubbish job of marketing the movie and they didn't do enough to engage the US audience who many have only ever associated Angelina Jolie as Lara. Someone who is very much still a current, A-list actress in Hollywood.
Old 18-09-18, 09:34   #13409
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
I'm not so sure a 100% adaption of the game cinematics would have worked, but I do 100% agree that a more mature rating may have done the movie a favour with the US audience, but this may then have had a negative for the Chinese market.

At the end of the day, WB did a rubbish job of marketing the movie and they didn't do enough to engage the US audience who many have only ever associated Angelina Jolie as Lara. Someone who is very much still a current, A-list actress in Hollywood.
I agree, there was too many mistakes done in the marketing. They only have one task to do and they screwed up. The first teaser poster photoshop, the teasers, using of part there isn't in the actual movie etc.

The lack of a collector edition with a lot of bonus.
Old 18-09-18, 09:41   #13410
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Some people are going to tell you you're wrong but you're right.

100% right.
And here comes one of those people!

Complete 1:1 wouldn't work simply because there's too much story in the game to be crumbled in 2 or even 2:30 hours. I think they took the correct approach with making a different story with the same basic premise. Should they have been a bit more faithful and not use the daddy story? Absolutely. But being completely faithful would just be a disservice to both the game and the movie.

As for the tone, I don't really know. Most gory scenes from the game were Lara's deaths, and maybe her first kill, but the movie version was better, and I honestly didn't miss the swearing. Maybe for a bit of more blood for when people get shot or impaled, but I don't know if that really would justify going for an M rating. Wouldn't be against it though...