www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-08-18, 12:38   #11
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post

Are you saying they actually prioritised Jacob’s endless waffling about “the gifts of the earth” over this? To think they had a backstory planned, one the story sorely needed, but just left it out goes to show how disappointing the writing was as a whole. Does anyone know where I can read it myself? It sounds really interesting.
I really wish Jacob was fleshed out, honestly every reboot character needed alot depth, (since we're supposed to care about them emotionally now and worry if they're gonna die) more so since Jacob is the first one that wasn't a straight Cliche and was actually interesting, too bad the interesting stuff (like him lying to his people) was never actually explored.

So they left this out just to make it more mysterious? I'm getting 2013 ending flashbacks again as well as the first meeting with Matthias, why are they actively ruining the writing? the initial Matthias first encounter is WAY better than the final product's version and Jacob is literally the only character with any depth and the only one I actually cared about for numerous reasons, the fact they actually had more stuff to flesh him out but choose not to annoys me, guess they thought we needed more of Lara's dad.

Last edited by Samz; 20-08-18 at 12:45.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 12:56   #12
biscuits
Professor

Agreed about Jacob. As much as I liked the character and his relationship with Lara he felt like wasted potential.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-18, 11:43   #13
annacroft
Historian

Location: Parisian Backstreets, somewhere in a parallel universe...

I've always thought that Jacob kept it from her for so long because he wanted to see how much she wanted to protect the Source from getting into Konstantin's hands.
Old 28-08-18, 11:43   #14
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Jabob was a good character but they could have fixed some things, for example, he said that the divine source is not divine but we don't know what it is!
If Shadow doesn't explain it (I was hoping that Shadow would have explained the whole Himiko's and Divine source's origin, but now I have some doubts) it will remain a mystery forever...
With the whole "divinity" thing of the divine source, I assumed it meant the opposite. That the object takes your soul from your body and ties it to the object meaning that you cannot die until the other object does. Similar to Horcruxes in Harry Potter I guess.

Also Germany? Jacob is Echardt confirmed.
Old 05-09-18, 13:59   #15
Pyro99
Archaeologist

just testing her? or the devs wanted to fill a few hours of gameplay
Old 05-09-18, 19:23   #16
Zsott
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Jabob was a good character but they could have fixed some things, for example he said that the divine source is not divine but we don't know what it is!
If Shadow doesn't explain it (I was hoping that Shadow would have explained the whole Himiko's and Divine source's origin, but now I have some doubts) it will remain an unsolved mistery forever...
I solve this mystery for you. Spoiler in white text!

All this reboot era was a dream, so at the end of the game, Lara will wake up, and the first thing she's going to see is Putai's face.

AoD2 confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
There was a PDF with a sort of making of Rise and it included a lot of info on Jacob that I think was deliberately taken out of the game so that Lara doesn't know much.
And that made Lara look dumb.
Anyone with minimal attention to the game could figure out who Jacob really is, before Lara did(All in the first quarter of the game...)
This goes for Ana too.

Somehow the writer (more like the director) feels incompetent at storytelling...

Last edited by Zsott; 05-09-18 at 19:34.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 19:26   #17
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
I solve this mystery for you. Spoiler in white text!

All this reboot era was a dream, so at the end of the game, Lara will wake up, and the first thing she's going to see is Putai's face.

AoD2 confirmed.

And that made Lara look dumb.
Anyone with minimal attention to the game could figure out who Jacob really is.(All in the first quarter of the game...)
This goes for Ana too.

Somehow the writer (more like the director) feels incompetent at storytelling...
Well they are!, For crying out loud, Jacob even looks like Jesus.
Old 05-09-18, 20:08   #18
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Well they are!, For crying out loud, Jacob even looks like Jesus.
uh, no.
while he be a little cute no lie. no. Not Jesus. make his hair longer and give him a white cloak, and we'll talk.
Old 12-09-18, 08:46   #19
Linoshi Croft
Legend

I find the fact the game doesn't explain what the divine source is or how Jacob came to have it incredibly frustrating. All Jacob really says about the divine source is that 'it's not divine...' but I think this was more of a comment on how the divine source effected his city and it's people. Another strange thing is that it's clear he was able to perform miracles, yet apart from his power of healing Jacob doesn't seem to do anything magical or out of the ordinary.

I too was also replaying Rise but I couldn't finish it, the game is just far too bland in pretty much every department.
Old 12-09-18, 08:51   #20
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I find the fact the game doesn't explain what the divine source is or how Jacob came to have it incredibly frustrating. All Jacob really says about the divine source is that 'it's not divine...' but I think this was more of a comment on how the divine source effected his city and it's people. Another strange thing is that it's clear he was able to perform miracles, yet apart from his power of healing Jacob doesn't seem to do anything magical or out of the ordinary.

I too was also replaying Rise but I couldn't finish it, the game is just far too bland in pretty much every department.
Yep, I "love" how they reduced drasticly the role of the only not-awful character, Haven't finished Rise myself, its worse than 2013 in combat due to the overpowered upgrades making combat even more boring and the finale is just a lot of arenas again,I simply don't have enough patience for it. I can only easily headshot the exact same dumb enemy for so long, before I just swap to playing something else.