Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-11-17, 17:21   #241
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Not an expert myself, but maybe you find my vision on this useful.

The Trle community has evolved a lot in the last dozen years. Some builders have years of experience and provide quality far surpassing the original TR games. As a result, levels like Forbidden Jungle, that would once get quite high scores, now score mediocre in comparison. This of course is not your fault. Experience comes with time and practise!

This means that you shouldn't take a 'bad' review too personal. However, do read them and do learn from them! Always be open to feedback. Some reviewers might be hard, but doesn't mean there's no truth in it. Take it as motivation to be better, decide what is just personal opinion, what really needs improvement and what you will ever change anyway, because it's just your style!
Regardless of the more critical reviews, they are all truthful. The texturing and lighting could have had more variation, although the main weak point was the gameplay. When I start running out of ideas, I start rushing things. Very bad idea. All 3 of my levels could have been much better if I didn't do that. Regardless, all 3 of my levels have scored higher that a 6 so far so that I can't complain about.

Like you said, some reviews can seem harsh, but as long as they are truthful about their opinions, then that's all that matters. Not to mention, I feel that I prefer building in the classic style (with a few NG features) simply because I feel it is easier to build a classic style level than a fully NG level.

EDIT:I definitely do not see 7.54 as a mediocre score either so that is something to be proud of.

Last edited by Opaque79; 10-11-17 at 18:09.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 12:57   #242
Opaque79

Sorry for bumping this thread but the latest reviews were quite amusing.
http://trle.net/sc/reviews.php?lid=3004

It is great to see that players do enjoy the level even if it is not as good as others.
Old 25-11-17, 14:16   #243
Titak

Btw, been meaning to tell you...
I missed texture sounds. You know, the different sounds Lara's footsteps can have when running across different surfaces?
Having those really adds to the atmosphere I think.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 14:34   #244
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post

Btw, been meaning to tell you...
I missed texture sounds. You know, the different sounds Lara's footsteps can have when running across different surfaces?
Having those really adds to the atmosphere I think.
That I have never tried. They are assingned with the texture sounds option under the texture panel right?

Can't use the editor right now as I am waiting to install a new motherboard into the PC (along with a few other things - quite a few problems with it recently).
Old 25-11-17, 15:45   #245
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
That I have never tried. They are assingned with the texture sounds option under the texture panel right?
Correct.
And they have to be assigned to the wad ofcourse, just like any other sound that needs to be used in a level.

Feel free to ask more details about it once you are ready to give it a go.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 18:09   #246
Opaque79

Never realised that there were more texture errors in this level than I thought. As well as the fact that the level is very green. Played through last night and took screenshots of the errors in question. Quite awkward to have released the level like that.

Here are the screenshots I took of the errors.
Old 21-12-17, 18:34   #247
Kapu

Tiny texture errors like that are completely forgivable and, frankly, overlooked by most players. I had to sit and scan some of those shots to figure out what was "wrong" with them. Overall your level is fantastically textured; you shouldn't feel at all awkward about release a level in this state. There are genuinely bad looking levels with many stretched and incorrectly rotated textures. Yours is not one of them.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 18:44   #248
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Tiny texture errors like that are completely forgivable and, frankly, overlooked by most players. I had to sit and scan some of those shots to figure out what was "wrong" with them. Overall your level is fantastically textured; you shouldn't feel at all awkward about release a level in this state. There are genuinely bad looking levels with many stretched and incorrectly rotated textures. Yours is not one of them.
I must have taken Gorty's review a little too seriously then. He says that there are many errors spread around that could easily be fixed.

Regarding lighting, I do realise now that the constant green tone is very monotonous.

EDIT: However, 7.96 is a great rating for the level.
Old 21-12-17, 19:27   #249
Danath

Talking

If that is bad texturing, then my first level could be classified as a crime against humanity.
Seriously speaking, the only thing i can see in that being bad is the lower part of the tree branch which has grass instead of wood.

Quote:
I must have taken Gorty's review a little too seriously then.
I made a christmas miracle happen, Gorty gave me a high score on my last level.

Quote:
Regarding lighting, I do realise now that the constant green tone is very monotonous.
There's one thing there that i cannot understand. It's a damn jungle, how do you want it to look? Neon pink?
I don't get why in some levels there's many different colors without a clear source for them. Personally i would hesitate to do that. Is that considered mandatory nowadays to get a good score?
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 19:49   #250
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
If that is bad texturing, then my first level could be classified as a crime against humanity.
Seriously speaking, the only thing i can see in that being bad is the lower part of the tree branch which has grass instead of wood.
The grass on the underside of the branch I completely missed and I have no idea how. The rest have badly rotated textures but not that many.

Quote:
I made a christmas miracle happen, Gorty gave me a high score on my last level.
Goes to show that you did a better job than me and you are more patient (especially considering the problems you had with engine limits).

Quote:
There's one thing there that i cannot understand. It's a damn jungle, how do you want it to look? Neon pink?
I don't get why in some levels there's many different colors without a clear source for them. Personally i would hesitate to do that. Is that considered mandatory nowadays to get a good score?
After reading that, I don't understand why a green ambience for jungle areas would be bad. However, there were areas where I could have had a different ambient colour other than green (the rooms with lava could have had a reddish ambience.

The coloured lights with no source is a little odd but there can be explanations. My 2nd level had comments about being too dark - it's a cave. In reality, a cave would be pitch black, not have pretty bright lights everywhere.