Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-09-18, 21:12   #11
jajay119

Like I said earlier: the hubs have fallen into predictability and in shadow they were just loads of different towns that offered no real tomb raider exploration. To me exploration in TR is about navigating the environment and finding secrets areas in tombs etc not waking round a town or city talking to random people until a sound effect plays that tells you a hidden tomb or crypt is nearby. It’s the Tomb Raider equivalent of riding the Camel around the massive ‘open world expanse’ that was pointless to be there of Assassins creed origins.Hubs don’t automatically equal exploration and not having hubs doesn’t equal linearity. If they put the side tombs and crypts in the Tomb environments that are now on the main path as extras there rather than dotted around the hubs then to me it would feel better and there would still be meaningful exploration to be had. How many areas were there in shadow where you went into caves underwater you could swim around to find plants and items and not one of them seemed to lead anywhere interesting? How many stunning tombs were there that looked like you could
Explore further and you could not? These are the places the exploration should be happening and where the tombs and crypts should mainly be. That way the city/town hub areas which are full of busy work could serve the purpose of looking beautiful and moving the story and character progression through more focused interaction. Honestly I feel the hubs have mis balanced the series and the exact same amount of exploration could be had with a reconfigured map design. I’m not against exploration but I don’t think the hubs are the best way to achieve that- it’s smoke and mirrors.

Crystal initially made a quote about shadow long before it was ever announced: denser, not bigger and I feel that’s a perfect description of what TR should be.

Last edited by jajay119; 23-09-18 at 21:16.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:13   #12
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphu View Post
For me what is holding TR back is the map. Totally ruins the immersion. When you don't know where to go, you just press the map button and voila: all the icons appear, the tombs, the cryps, the quests etc. The old TR games didn't had the maps and that was really helpfull to force you to explore and to find paths and hidden rooms.

Otherwise the Shadow was a great grame.
that would be too much work for todays standards
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:14   #13
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
that would be too much work for todays standards
You mean for gamers?
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:20   #14
Morphu

Yea, for "gamers". In near future we will just need to press "X" and all the game will play itself.
Morphu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:21   #15
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Yea, for "gamers". In near future we will just need to press "X" and all the game will play itself.
What do you mean? We won't even need buttons, just stare at the screen and move your eyes
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:21   #16
Leon2703

Yeah, I don’t like the ‘optional’ side of things. I would like something like the classics, just like Yeauxleaux described.
Leon2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:27   #17
iWANEX
Golden

This just further proves that this fandom cannot be pleased no matter what they do. And Uncharted plays nothing like TR. NOTHING. It's linearity is not even comparable to the classics, it's comparable to Legend's. And people HATED Legend back then.

I just... I have no words. No wonder the devs have no idea what to do with the franchise. Not even the fandom knows what they want. I hope the devs don't listen to us EVER AGAIN! I hope they do their own thing and bring new stuff to the franchise. I'm so tired of everything having to go back to the way the games were in the 90s. We are not in the 90s anymore. Ugh!
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:29   #18
BigR4444
Golden

Quote:
For me what is holding TR back is the map. Totally ruins the immersion. When you don't know where to go, you just press the map button and voila: all the icons appear, the tombs, the cryps, the quests etc. The old TR games didn't had the maps and that was really helpfull to force you to explore and to find paths and hidden rooms.

And another thing that for me totally ruined the immersion were those huge texts with Bla Bla Bla you got something or you found something. I don't want that in the middle of the screen.

Otherwise the Shadow was a great grame.
Hmmm

Thats an interesting idea Ive never heard before...
You have me thinking about what the game would be like without a map.

100% completion would be a nightmare

Sometimes it just comes in helpful.. the camera changes because of a cutscene, or I sat at a campfire or something, and then im in control again, and Im in a clearing with two or three exits and I have no idea where I just came from...

Id love a compass to help navigation rather than the map holding your hand...

Maybe a paper style hand-drawn map, that doesnt hold your hand so much; the docs, relics etc, could be marked in "by hand" when you find a backpack or archivist map...
Youd rely on the compass to navigate instead of the map.
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:29   #19
jajay119

I don’t know why I bother trying to have a conversation here half the time...
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 21:30   #20
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
This just further proves that this fandom cannot be pleased no matter what they do. And Uncharted plays nothing like TR. NOTHING. It's linearity is not even comparable to the classics, it's comparable to Legend's. And people HATED Legend back then.

I just... I have no words. No wonder the devs have no idea what to do with the franchise. Not even the fandom knows what they want. I hope the devs don't listen to us EVER AGAIN! I hope they do their own thing and bring new stuff to the franchise. I'm so tired of everything having to go back to the way the games were in the 90s. We are not in the 90s anymore. Ugh!
So you commented just to throw a fit?

Yeah, in the 90s you got a finished quality game instead of something following trends.

Nothing wrong with something just because its the 90's.

Also surprise surprise FANDOMS ARE A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE how the heck are you surprised people have different opinons on different things?
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote