Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 24-09-18, 22:51   #1
Soma Holiday

Default Cell Shaded Graphics?

I was playing on xbox one and was wondering if anyone else had the issue where at times the graphics almost seemed cell shaded? I played on Hard and seeing things was brutal due to the shadows not popping and everything seeming to blend together in the background.

Did anyone else have this issue? Was it better on PC? My photomode also had a huge quality drop when i launched it making the game look pretty bad:

I didnt know if this was just the style and whether anyone else really got frustrated by it. Seeing murals was a nightmare as well as foliage. It was hard to appreciate the vistas when the objects in the distance often looked blurry.

It looked like a zelda game lol...
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-18, 23:39   #2
megabug7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I was playing on xbox one and was wondering if anyone else had the issue where at times the graphics almost seemed cell shaded? I played on Hard and seeing things was brutal due to the shadows not popping and everything seeming to blend together in the background.

Did anyone else have this issue? Was it better on PC? My photomode also had a huge quality drop when i launched it making the game look pretty bad:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9GBbW7Z.png[/ig]

I didnt know if this was just the style and whether anyone else really got frustrated by it. Seeing murals was a nightmare as well as foliage. It was hard to appreciate the vistas when the objects in the distance often looked blurry.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Vg8QAMx.png[/ig]

It looked like a zelda game lol...
The lighting is terrible in this game. most of the time the colour palette appears muddy, and sometimes the lighting is kinda garish

Not a fan.

Last edited by Rai; 25-09-18 at 00:18.
megabug7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-18, 23:53   #3
SoraSakai
Inactive

It's because of the ambient occlusion method used in the console versions of the game.

It can accidentally cast shadows on objects in areas a shadow wouldn't appear, creating an almost cell shaded appearance.

This is a constant problem with most Ubisoft games.

Unfortunately, a PC is the only way to play the game without this cell shaded appearance occasionally popping up. That being said, it could be addressed in a patch.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-18, 00:17   #4
Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
It's because of the ambient occlusion method used in the console versions of the game.

It can accidentally cast shadows on objects in areas a shadow wouldn't appear, creating an almost cell shaded appearance.

This is a constant problem with most Ubisoft games.

Unfortunately, a PC is the only way to play the game without this cell shaded appearance occasionally popping up. That being said, it could be addressed in a patch.
Hmm that makes sense. Thanks for the info I will have to try it on a PC whenever I get a decent one and see if it makes it better. I hope they patch it, it really lowered the enjoyment and WOW factor...i just knew I'd be taking pictures nonstop and I barely took any cause everything was so muddy.
Old 25-09-18, 00:18   #5
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
Hmm that makes sense. Thanks for the info I will have to try it on a PC whenever I get a decent one and see if it makes it better. I hope they patch it, it really lowered the enjoyment and WOW factor...i just knew I'd be taking pictures nonstop and I barely took any cause everything was so muddy.
Digital Foundry made a pretty good in depth analysis and they go over the differences between the console and PC versions. It explains it better than I did ^.^
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-18, 00:21   #6
Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Digital Foundry made a pretty good in depth analysis and they go over the differences between the console and PC versions. It explains it better than I did ^.^
I will look it up! Thanks!