Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 26-02-17, 03:17   #511
OkraBrueder

I played Anniversary before knowing about TR 1 and i loved it so much, it was beautiful and atmospheric and i loved the whole concept of it. I personally prefer it to TR 1 because i connect a lot more to it, and i just love TRA but i think i would agree, that some parts of TR1 are in fact better made than TRA. But still im glad TRA exists and its unfortunate that its so hated in the community.
OkraBrueder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 05:16   #512
LaraCablara

People calling Tomb Raider Anniversary out as being too long too frustrating too boring and whatever is kind of funny because that's exactly what a lot of people in the 90s may have said about the original

Had this been an exact remake would it have really been better? Like realistically some of the rooms they took out from Tomb Raider 1 were literally boxes with a few slopes in them. What could they have done with them? They also did take out some more memorable stuff but I think it was smart to not do an exact remake.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 05:32   #513
OkraBrueder

Honestly, i would have loved to see and play Core Designs Remake of TR 1 actually. It looked like it would have been much different from TRA and i think i would love both equally.
OkraBrueder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 09:27   #514
ShutUpReyes

In the Anniversary section of the 20 Years of TR book it says Crystal Dynamics looked at it more as an homage to the original game than an improvement.

I personally loved seeing all the environments remade with more modern technology and with the Legend control scheme. Some things they did great but there were some things they messed up. The Lost Valley wasn't anywhere near as impressive, the T-Rex being a bit 'meh,' and the fact you had to kill most enemies with a headshot made using other weapons feel pointless and the bloody quick time events.

The controls felt great though, I loved the grapple hook, I actually think St. Francis Folly was better in TRA, and it was the one time Crystal Dynamics nailed the collectables system which they completely messed up in Underworld.

When some people play the series they sometimes say they'll avoid the original and just play TRA, but I always say that's a bad idea as they're still completely different experiences, but great in their own way.
ShutUpReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 09:47   #515
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
Had this been an exact remake would it have really been better? Like realistically some of the rooms they took out from Tomb Raider 1 were literally boxes with a few slopes in them.
They could have kept the rooms and made alterations to them instead of removing them altogether. Just because they looked 'boxy' in TR1 doesn't mean they also had to look boxy in TRA.
Plus other stuff they took out were amazing areas that were among my favourites in TR1, like opening area outside of The Coliseum and the aquaduct area of Palace Midas.
Removing those areas didn't only remove the possibility of great gameplay, but also made those levels seem significantly smaller in scope than TR1.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 10:48   #516
Patrick star

The only thing that was in dire need of removing was the Tomb of Tihocan level , I think CD did right by cutting out this utterly pointless level and attaching the actual tomb with the flooded cave to the end of the Cistern level calling it ultimately Tomb of Tihocan .

Some of the levels though , I didn't like much of the cutting process that occurred to them , as much as the challenge rooms in Anni's Palace Midas for example were way better than the original's , the whole level felt smaller due to cutting a lot of content and the removal of the interconnected design , same with the Atlantis level if I recall correctly .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 18:52   #517
Scottlee

I didn't enjoy it really. One or two levels were pretty good (Caves and St Francis Folly spring to mind), but too many were complete shadows of the originals they were based on. It was like taking a bunch of great songs, covering them, but singing them out of tune.

The boss fights drove me mental too. I've never been big on boss fights in gaming. That's part of what I used to like about the classic TR games. The boss fights were afterthoughts rather than part of the main experience. Usually you shot someone - or something - to death, then moved on to the next puzzle. In TRA, the boss fights are almost like the biggest challenge. They feel front, left, and centre. It's jarring.

For all that, I would give the game another chance in the future. I played this one back-to-back with Tomb Raider Legend and I was probably slightly jaded when I came to it. The final boss of TRL was an all-Saturday afternoon affair that almost turned my hair gray. And then after completing that, I ran into the that situation in TRA's revamped Lost Valley not long after.
Scottlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 19:01   #518
Lillie

I will never understand how can people have problems with TRA boss fights and controls . 12 year old me found the controls amazing and a huge improvement over the classics.
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-17, 01:49   #519
Error96

I really love the original game. I think Anniversary cut too many sections out which undermined a lot of the great level design. I didn't like how they altered the T-Rex emergence or where they removed Nathan's music. The new Atlantis went a lot backwards and the dialogue in cutscenes was spoiled. Overall I do like Anniversary and think it looks good however a straight remake would have been better.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote