Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 25-08-18, 13:43   #11
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

That's very interesting Woops. So there is a portal between the rooms.
So toggle opacity 1, does not let fexinspect see it as a portal (never knew that).

You are right, there must be a portal, as if not, all you would see is the skybox and not the next room.

Note that from room 59 back to room 106 you cannot see into room 59, as its a dummy window, but from room 106 you can see into room 59, so visually its one way.
(DOH, I was not thinking right, and just relying on fexinspect being right )

So that is the answer "Lara brushing against the fixed spike in room 59 would cause death"

Looking at the video again, its seems Lara bangs off the high wall/roof and her head would go further into the window (portal) just enough to cause collison detection with the spike resulting in death.

Normally running or walking by this area would not be death if she avoids the fixed spike.

Think that sorts this puzzle out, thanks to Woops, I am away to take an aspirin now

Last edited by The Great Chi; 27-08-18 at 15:20.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 16:27   #12
Woops

Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-18, 22:12   #13
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Yeh, thanks for that

Fexinspect threw me, as I always thought it showed every portal.

This has been a strange puzzle to solve, and a strange portal

Last edited by The Great Chi; 27-08-18 at 19:06.
Old 27-08-18, 01:32   #14
Girafarig32

I had no idea they were called 'portals' until now, very interesting. I did have a hunch that it was a bit of Lara sticking through the wall-- erm, portal. Thank you both for your tireless work figuring this out.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-18, 15:45   #15
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Just been experimenting by banging Lara's head off that danger area

She dies every the time, because by banging of the top corner like that, she has collision with the spikes. so its no fluke, it just a bad design, not noticed before, as most people do not bang her head off that corner in normal play

Old 27-08-18, 18:34   #16
thewolf
Golden

Lightbulb

I did rebuild those two rooms with the exact geometry and the TR3 engine to try something out. After my first test nothing happened. I could jump against the wall with Lara's head over and over again. Then I tried to rotate the spikes.......... and there it was---> RIP . Lara does only die there because of the rotation of the spikes. If those spikes would be placed as the ones right next to them(default without rotation), Lara would survive.

Also another interesting fact: If I deactivate the manual portal view(those things you call toggle opacity) she will also survive! Even with rotated spikes there is no death for her.

Fexinspect doesn't show those kind of portals because these are no portals.
There is no connection between those two rooms. You can only look through into another room. They are just manual portal views. I don't know if CORE had something like toggle opacity in TR1-3 . I didn't even know what it was till now after reading the manual from CORE for their TRLE editor If there are any portals fexinspect shows you the truth. Manual portal views are no portals so they are not shown in fexinspect. Fexinspect was made by Turbo Pascal and in his editor are no toggle opacity options, only manual portal views to get this effect and portal views are no portals so fexinspect is correct
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-18, 18:58   #17
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Thank you thewolf for doing this experimentation, as to me it was a real puzzle, as Fexinspect did not show the rooms interconnected, yet she died, causing me a real headache

So now we know fexinspect tells the truth, thank goodness

Your information now solves the reason why she dies. Well done
Old 30-08-18, 21:42   #18
Patrick Shannon

Fascinating discovery and discussion! Well-done, all!
Patrick Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 23:27   #19
Girafarig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Shannon View Post
Fascinating discovery and discussion! Well-done, all!
Great to see you posting, Patrick!! Yes, everyone did a fantastic job sorting this out. I'm a complete noob when it comes to the technicalities of tombviewer, but I think I understand how this occurred from the explanations above. Thanks guys, and hopefully more mysteries in the future to solve
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote