Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 20-08-16, 15:05   #11
JayB18

Ill admit the sub-surface scattering helps and the new model looks better in some scenes but its not enough for me to say it looks better overall than the Definitive Edition. Even running both at 1080P the PC version looks much more crisp and clean with the better texture quality/filtering, shadow quality, and Anti aliasing. That plus tessellation and ambient occlusion add more to the overall look of the world than the Definitive Edition in my opinion.

Last edited by JayB18; 20-08-16 at 15:26.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-16, 15:38   #12
fondantcookie

De +1
fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-16, 16:31   #13
Phlip
Inactive

I've played both DE and a high spec PC version, and I think overall the DE is better looking. The lighting is richer, the axe swings realistically, textures look great and the particle system is bitchin'.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-16, 16:38   #14
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
I've played both DE and a high spec PC version, and I think overall the DE is better looking. The lighting is richer, the axe swings realistically, textures look great and the particle system is bitchin'.
They changed the particle system? :O
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-16, 20:11   #15
Phlip
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
They changed the particle system? :O
There are more sparkly bits in explosions and dragonfire shells, and rain drops are illuminated in spot lights.

Old 20-08-16, 21:33   #16
JayB18

Quote:
There are more sparkly bits in explosions and dragonfire shells, and rain drops are illuminated in spot lights.

Watching that makes me whish they patched the PC version. The lighting, subsurface scatterring, and particle effects are stunning. There is no clear best version as it stands.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-16, 23:59   #17
malferink

am i the only one who thinks DE Lara looks horrific? I played the game originally on x360 , and just played it last month on my ps4 (the DE edition) but damn i somehow feel i prefer the old version. maybe because ive played it a thousand times and just got grown attached to it - but the DE was kinda disappointing. Not only Lara, but the game itself too. it feels to much saturated somehow. and i've not even started about Lara... are there any people here who thinks she looked like a monkey in the DE? and i'm not even kidding. she literally looks like a monkey in some scenes. her cheeks are to fluffy maybe idk... and the tress fx hair wasnt all that great tbh
malferink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 00:20   #18
Phlip
Inactive

She's pretty ugly in both, I'd say the lesser bad version is the original face. She's more consistently plain/slightly ugly rather than sometimes good looking and other times legitimately nightmarishly creepy looking.
Old 21-08-16, 09:10   #19
Shing
Unverified

Quote:
She's pretty ugly in both, I'd say the lesser bad version is the original face. She's more consistently plain/slightly ugly rather than sometimes good looking and other times legitimately nightmarishly creepy looking.
+1 In some scenes you can see that the "new face" wasn't optimized for some expressions and she looks really weird. But for me the definitive version looks better overall.

It's really sad that we didn't get a patch for the PC version. Lack of tesselation and worse shadows are not "Definitive" after all. The real definitve version would be a PC version with the new features.

I would say if you can play on higher resolution than 1080P go for PC version, but overall PS4 definitive version is the best.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 11:04   #20
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
am i the only one who thinks DE Lara looks horrific? I played the game originally on x360 , and just played it last month on my ps4 (the DE edition) but damn i somehow feel i prefer the old version. maybe because ive played it a thousand times and just got grown attached to it - but the DE was kinda disappointing. Not only Lara, but the game itself too. it feels to much saturated somehow. and i've not even started about Lara... are there any people here who thinks she looked like a monkey in the DE? and i'm not even kidding. she literally looks like a monkey in some scenes. her cheeks are to fluffy maybe idk... and the tress fx hair wasnt all that great tbh
No, you're not. I think the DE face is awful and it looks like she's wearing tons of makeup at all times.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote