Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 02-12-17, 00:41   #1
charmedangelin

Default Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Annoyances

Just wanted to let everyone know who has windows 10 that if you update to the newest version of windows 10 known as the fall creators update you might have to reconfigure your games and settings. For some reason mine was wiped and set itself to default. I had to reinstall the full screen windowless boarder patch for the classic games again. Also my monitor calibration was reset to default causing me to go into my monitor settings and re calibrate the saturation and brightness to my liking. Don't know why this is, but just a heads up.

EDIT

Yup, I'm getting setup prompts from all the games I have. Ugh, this is going to be a pain to set up all my settings again.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 02-12-17 at 00:50.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 22:20   #2
charmedangelin

Another thing that is both good and bad is a new feature called controlled folder access. This feature prevents any program from changing the contents of a file. This is to prevent Ransomware from encrypting your files should you ever get infected. However if you have your TRLE games saved in any of the folders that you have protected then TRLE cannot save games. My solution was to move the TRLE games folder somewhere else where the folder isn't protected.
Old 02-12-17, 22:44   #3
TRfan23
Golden

Have you tried running TRLE as Admin and seeing if that works instead of moving the folder with it's contents?

Like this - https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/alway...in-windows-10/

Or just turn the feature off? - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ecurity-center

Last edited by TRfan23; 02-12-17 at 22:46.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 22:49   #4
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfan23 View Post
Have you tried running TRLE as Admin and seeing if that works instead of moving the folder with it's contents?

Like this - https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/alway...in-windows-10/

Or just turn the feature off? - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ecurity-center
Just tried it and no change, the game will not save.

EDIT

I had to move all my TRLE games to a new folder I made in Windows C. That way the game will save, its a great feature to have so your files will be safe, but it is a pain for games that are saved within those destinations. By default controlled folder access will protect your documents, pictures, videos, sounds, and downloads. Virtually anyplace where a normal user would save. So the only solution that I have found to this is to create a folder inside of windows C itself so that you can save the games.

EDIT

The link you provided worked. I didn't know you could add exclusions to controlled folder access. All is well.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 02-12-17 at 23:11.
Old 05-12-17, 05:16   #5
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Another thing that is both good and bad is a new feature called controlled folder access. This feature prevents any program from changing the contents of a file.
Is this new? As of Windows 7, my games weren't able to write to their own folders so I got into the habit of having a separate games folder on C: drive (rather than letting games install into Program Files). It also works to put TRLE levels in My Documents instead of Program Files.

Anyhow, I had the new Creator's update installed for less than an hour so I didn't play around with the new features. Somehow the update totally got rid of antialiasing and I could barely read the text on my desktop (or Word or the internet) and there didn't seem to be a solution, so I restored from the checkpoint before the update.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote