www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 08-07-18, 19:30   #18201
Ruu11
Historian

I see... So I better be careful whenever I add a new object.
Thanks Matie
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 20:44   #18202
RocketLombax
Hobbyist

I've got some odd questions about animations and am hoping somebody knows something I don't...

See, I've been making custom animations for Lara, and trying to make almost an entire new set of animations that coordinate, including the transition animations. While it's been working out fairly decently, state changes and all, I've been having issue with animation 'clicking' that I can't seem to smooth out.
Like for example, I've got custom walk and run animations that work fine, but don't seem to have the smooth loop they should, kinda resulting in a snap between the last and first frames of the animations, as if it's skipping a couple frames on the loop.
Transitions too. Like, whenever a transition animation would link to the second half of the animations, they don't bridge very cleanly.

Does anybody know why this happens? I've got the state changes in the right places, and the next frame settings right, but no luck in fixing the issue.

Oh, and one last tiny request, does anybody know the Customize script command to prevent the 'transparent Lara' effect in look mode when close to the camera? I thought I found it somewhere before, but now that I'm understanding the scripting, I can't find it when I need it...
RocketLombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 21:01   #18203
Matie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
I see... So I better be careful whenever I add a new object.
Thanks Matie
No problem
If some other object textures get in the way, just resize and reapply them so they don't appear on the very top and make sure the waterfall textures are the biggest textures (256x256 if necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketLombax View Post
Oh, and one last tiny request, does anybody know the Customize script command to prevent the 'transparent Lara' effect in look mode when close to the camera? I thought I found it somewhere before, but now that I'm understanding the scripting, I can't find it when I need it...
Unfortunately I can't help you with the animation problem as one of the animations I made also skips a frame and I couldn't find any solution for that either...

But the script entry you're looking for is this one:
Code:
Customize= CUST_LOOK_TRASPARENT,DISABLED
Whenever you're looking for script commands, use the Reference panel of NG_Center. You can check the commands themselves (SCRIPT NEW commands in the list) to see what flags they use, which you can then look up if you select "_MNEMONIC CONSTANTS" in the dropdown menu.
Old 08-07-18, 21:17   #18204
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
I've got some odd questions about animations and am hoping somebody knows something I don't...

See, I've been making custom animations for Lara, and trying to make almost an entire new set of animations that coordinate, including the transition animations. While it's been working out fairly decently, state changes and all, I've been having issue with animation 'clicking' that I can't seem to smooth out.
Like for example, I've got custom walk and run animations that work fine, but don't seem to have the smooth loop they should, kinda resulting in a snap between the last and first frames of the animations, as if it's skipping a couple frames on the loop.
Transitions too. Like, whenever a transition animation would link to the second half of the animations, they don't bridge very cleanly.

Does anybody know why this happens? I've got the state changes in the right places, and the next frame settings right, but no luck in fixing the issue.
This happens because the engine won't render any interpolation once an animation is finished, it just switches to the next one. So you always need to have the same frame at the end of your animation and the beginning of the next one (or from where it's starting from).
For looping animations, this literally means you have to add one extra frame that will literally be the copy of the first frame. For transitions, keep that in mind, because it will work the same way. If you're having a transition that links to the middle of the next animation (instead of linking to the beginning), same, make sure the last frame of your transition is exactly the same as the one it is aiming for in the next animation.
I know it will look strange in WADMerger as it does render that extra interpolation, TRViewer does too, etc... It's just the engine that doesn't so you have to workaround it.
Old 08-07-18, 21:54   #18205
A_De
Explorer

Quote:
Or, if Joey's solution does not work for you, try to export animations as *.trw and then check them with Sapper's TRW Editor, may be there are some errors in animations. And also check the actual amount of frames there, because this info is not shown in Wadmerger unfortunately.
Old 13-07-18, 16:19   #18206
RocketLombax
Hobbyist

Thanks to both of you for the help! It's really helped me learn a few things. I was able to fix some problems, but I realized I made a really dumb mistake. Seems I was unaware that my walk animation has the steps in opposite order from the original animation, and I'll need to reorder the steps on the walk. It's a good thing it loops though. It should be easy to fix.

Such a foolish mistake this whole time, and it explains all the problems I've been having!

Last edited by RocketLombax; 13-07-18 at 16:23.
RocketLombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 19:05   #18207
GabrielCroft
Explorer

I'm searching for a fix for this, but without success.
In my level, the enemies are running against walls or in circles (mostly "dog" and baddy"), and they won't attack Lara. Any help?
Old 14-07-18, 19:42   #18208
A_De
Explorer

^Box limit exceeded perhaps?
Old 14-07-18, 20:04   #18209
GabrielCroft
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
^Box limit exceeded perhaps?
Well, actually I didn't place any box in the level.
Old 14-07-18, 20:08   #18210
LoreRaider
Explorer

^ With boxes she means the number in the part below of the editor, where you can see all the infos of the project
You can see the number after exporting .tom file, so when you click on play for going into game

Last edited by LoreRaider; 14-07-18 at 20:10.
LoreRaider is offline   Reply With Quote