www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-07-18, 09:12   #11
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Because it only works on compiled level files, for obvious reasons. If I wanted to change something in my level I would have to go back and redo whatever I did in meta2tr. It's just the most inconvenient workflow possible. I hate having to go back and redo things, there is already enough of that in the editor itself, meta2tr only makes sense for rooms in their final form while I often go back and change things.

Last edited by Dustie; 10-07-18 at 09:14.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 09:43   #12
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Honestly.. most people don't because perhaps they find it difficult.

I know I ''tried'' using to once to twice and it was quite difficult for me to understand. I suck at UV mapping mainly.. I can model OK though.

I dunno if the program has become easier to use now - I used it when it first came out so IDK
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 14:58   #13
Matie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Because it only works on compiled level files, for obvious reasons.
This. I know there's a workflow for simultaneous editing in NGLE, but it's still way too risky and not comfortable at all. I prefer to be able to change anything freely, in case something doesn't work out the way I wanted.
Old 11-07-18, 15:03   #14
FantaseaII
Hobbyist

I would say in the end it's not that "hard" i mean, it is but after few days / hours of practice you will start to get much more confident with level editing thanks to meta... the thing problematic is the lack of tutorials, who explained how to reshape walls to make them sound more natural ? i didn't saw anything about this, and it's just an exemple... their is so many things to know.
Maybe one day someone is gonna explain how to model a window inside a face etc... the more easier and the more appealing it is !
Old 11-07-18, 15:10   #15
DJ Full
Professor

I like blocks.
DJ Full is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 17:20   #16
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaseaII View Post
the thing problematic is the lack of tutorials, who explained how to reshape walls to make them sound more natural ? i didn't saw anything about this, and it's just an exemple... their is so many things to know.
Maybe one day someone is gonna explain how to model a window inside a face etc... the more easier and the more appealing it is !
That's essentially a 3D modeling skill and there are general tutorials for 3D modeling out there, hence the lack of such specific tutorials for that here...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 01:27   #17
LeelooBastet
Historian

I use Meta and Meta2Tr, but I never released anything yet
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 15:04   #18
FantaseaII
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
That's essentially a 3D modeling skill and there are general tutorials for 3D modeling out there, hence the lack of such specific tutorials for that here...
Well true, it's in the end a modeling skill, and many of us don't know, me too but i'm getting slowly better at this thanks to a good friend, honestly the psiko and level_next_gen pdf was really a thing we need but more specified with exemples on how to acheive simple graphical bonus ! i'm pretty sure it can make people try, but the problem is that it's way much more long and need more efforts than building a simple blocky TRLE level, it's all up to the builders and since i am one as well the easier it is and the better i am and indeed meta2tr requires way too much time (from your own) to acheive good results.

Last edited by FantaseaII; 12-07-18 at 15:05.
FantaseaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 17:20   #19
psiko
Archaeologist

in my youtube channel, I give not only the method to work in parallel with ngle/trng and meta2tr (you can even add rooms, change completely your wad, to name few things), but as I use 3ds max to built that level for those tutorials, I also give some modelling tips on how I achieve those geometries I know they are many movies, but they are there at least
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-18, 18:19   #20
LeelooBastet
Historian

TR4 files made with Tomb Editor can't be Meta2tred ?
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote