www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

View Poll Results: Newcomer thread or subforum?
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor thread for newbies would be good, in TRLE subforum. 6 16.67%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor thread for us would be good, in TRLE subforum. 1 2.78%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor OPEN subforum for newbies would be good. 21 58.33%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor OPEN subforum for us would be good. 7 19.44%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for newbies would be good. 1 2.78%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for us would be good. 0 0%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor PASSWORDED subforum for newbies would be good. 0 0%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor PASSWORDED subforum for us would be good. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-18, 11:45   #1
AkyV

Default Newcomer thread or subforum?

Hi!
Seeing the poll here, we have our new poll questions. (Public and only one vote per person!) There is no option for a „no, we don’t need any”, because in that previous poll the most of you did not vote that, a thread or a subforum will be created everyway – if there are newbies enough to vote. (I think 3-4 newcomers are enough, they will surely encourage the others sooner or later.)

The definition of a newbie, kind of:
- if you have never touched any editor, or
- if you have already tried editing, but you can not not not not understand the basics, however, having read many manuals and tutorials so far.

If you know what a Moveable object, floor grid, click, inner lighting, texture tile, GlobalTrigger etc. is and how to make slopes, doors, water, nice lighting, TriggerGroup etc. then you are NOT a newbie – even if you have never released a level before, or, even if one of the editors is still totally unknown for you.
(Having a level released, you can be a newbie, if you feel that level was so bad, primitive that you should have not released that.)

The thread/forum will be dedicated to all the known editors: TRLE, Dxtre3D, TREP, TRNG, Tomb Editor.

The exact thread/forum rules will be established later (for example, when can we say it is a „basic” question), but now I can tell this:

- Contents should be (thread or forum): basic questions, asked by beginners, and answers for those questions, told by "experts".
- At the start the forum will be almost totally empty! The forum will only have a general chat thread at the start, for all the editors, created by me.
- We shall see under working the forum: if there is a highly supported demand by the users to open an editor-specified general chat, then I can open it. (If you are sure you have several questions which are for that editor only, not for other ones.)
- I can also open general chats dedicated to important questions or question groups, if there is a real demand. (In this case, naturally, this theme will also be in the general chat thread of editors. This redundancy seems a problem, yes, we will find out something.)
- Suggest a thread in TRLE/TRNG/etc. forums (while the new forum is already working) to move into the new forum, if you think it fits there. It will be discussed with the administrator, one by one.
- You can open one thread for each of your tenderfoot level in the new forum.
- You can open any smaller or bigger threads in the new forum for your specified questions, even if that question can be asked even in an open chat. (The same way as TRLE/TRNG/etc. forums work.)

Last edited by AkyV; 01-07-18 at 11:54.
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 20:33   #2
Mrshina
Explorer

I'm voting for open subforum, but of course any kind of thread for newbies would be fine so we can keep the basic from advance separate.
Old 01-07-18, 20:49   #3
klona
Gold Contributor

Choice 3 is the best choice.

Passworded or hidden sections are a pretty silly idea to begin with if you ask me. Reasons are obvious.
Old 01-07-18, 21:06   #4
A_De
Archaeologist

Well, I don't see the real newbies here for now
Old 01-07-18, 21:49   #5
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshina View Post
I'm voting for open subforum, but of course any kind of thread for newbies would be fine so we can keep the basic from advance separate.
Yes, we shall see, which option wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
Choice 3 is the best choice.

Passworded or hidden sections are a pretty silly idea to begin with if you ask me. Reasons are obvious.
I get your opinion. But choices are called choices because people can vote on them. I mean, if the hidden/passworded option wins, then that will be achieved, even if they sound silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
Well, I don't see the real newbies here for now
That is exactly I wanted to say.

Dear newcomer level builders!
Please come and vote here.
Be brave even if you can't really see other newbies having voted here. This poll is made for you.

...But then I see the first newbie who voted.
Thank you, GFY2013, I hope there will be other newcomer voters who will follow you and vote here what they want.
Old 01-07-18, 22:56   #6
Danath
Archaeologist

I did a mistake and voted for #1 when i wanted to vote #3. I got confused somehow.

Yes i think the third is the best option, threads can be started for different types of problems and each can be seen and resolved better. In my opinion, if you only have one thread then things can be missed among many comments and pages.
Old 01-07-18, 23:01   #7
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I did a mistake and voted for #1 when i wanted to vote #3. I got confused somehow.
I will keep it in my mind at the end of the poll.
Old 01-07-18, 23:09   #8
SrDanielPonces

but having it passworded/hidden IS silly.
a newbie is probably not going to be aware of the section if it's hidden and the idea of having a password for newbie questions doesn't relaly make sense??

I mean the password fits for beta testing forums but I don't know why the hell it was hidden. It's way harder to access it unless you have its link. It's not my fault I was complaining people were accessing the forums + there was no privacy if the same password was kept over many years. You should consider putting the beta testing section with a password and not hidden, but having the password changed every few months. thank you

(also i voted for 3)
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 00:05   #9
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
but having it passworded/hidden IS silly.
Perhaps, yes, that is why they have 0 votes.
But, again, silly or not, it IS a choice. If it had one zillion votes, not zero, then it would win. But, again, it do not have even one. No it looks open forum will win. All we need now, as you can see, newbies to fill the forum.
Old 02-07-18, 00:51   #10
Boobandie
Professor

Didn't we only just get rid of the tenderfoot section?
Boobandie is online now   Reply With Quote