Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 20-02-08, 23:17   #1
anniversarytr11

Lightbulb I know were CD are going wrong!

I've been playing alot of anniversary and the original lately and as a budding game designer i have some great ways for CD to improve gameplay by a large margin to please fans and newcomers.
first of i'd like to apreciate all the hard work CD are doing but they need improvement. the level designs are to simple, the traps are to simple. basically my opinion is that CD's level designs are to basic. In core's games the gameplay was an instant hit because there was veriety, diversity and complexity, there were ledges, platforms, spikes and everything in between.
CD seem to rush each level by dishing out the same ledges, wallruns, traps, enemies and everything but until now i hadnt realised what was missing, and now i realise that its imagination. In core's games every room, corridoor, hall and cave was a puzzle, something you had to think about, you never knew were enemies were because of the scale and complexity of the levels. every tavern and corner had a challenge, every detail with time taken,
anniversarytr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-08, 23:22   #2
MiCkiZ88

The classics were great because you had to think everywhere. If you didn't have to think or you were just supposed to get somewhere, there were enemies and action took place. That way it didn't get boring and still many years later I can't find the games boring. We need more complex areas, more puzzles and random enemies.

Plus we need more interactivity & more animations.. but that seems to be taken care off with TRU.

Last edited by MiCkiZ88; 20-02-08 at 23:23.
MiCkiZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-08, 23:24   #3
Moon-Safari

Like that African magazine article said, Tomb Raider Underworld is going to be great because CD are pouring love into it. I think they were feeling their way around with the first two games, but they are definitely going to give this game their all. The very few things I've heard so far have me going
Moon-Safari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-08, 23:26   #4
anniversarytr11

the question is are the levels complex and confusing in underworld as that is an element that what made tomb raider special
anniversarytr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-08, 23:27   #5
MrBear

Although I agree with what's lacking, you can't really compare Core and CrystalD based on TR1 and TR:A - remember CrystalD were not making their own game, they were reimagining an old one so of course they couldn't just follow their own imagination as much as they might want to - the fans were expecting many things to reoccur, so Crystal didn't have much 'wiggle room' - my say do you follow?

Moon-Safari: me too, I'm very optimistic about Underworld I'm sure they'll put a lot of imagination into that.. - let's compare then, shall we?

Last edited by MrBear; 20-02-08 at 23:28.
MrBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-08, 01:14   #6
Shark_Blade

I disagree that they "didn't follow their own imagination". I mean so much has changed, from the level designs to Larson and Natla herself! (she's not the same one I remembered, with half her boobs exposed in a sci-fi cosplay outfit).

True CD does has limited imagination in level designing,nothing is too complex in challenges (though I do love the centaur fights) and traps. I hope this changes in TRU, with what they're boasting about making other developers cry with envy.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-08, 03:16   #7
kllrj08

I think CD should take a look at TombRaider 3's level design, IMO it had some best levels, and the things it used, it didn't have overkill like the large slope in the first level and the quicksand, it had it in other levels too, but it didn't use it sporadicly in every level throughout the entire game, I think that's where CD get's stale in it's level design. Oh and the obvious lighter/white ledge corners and such.
kllrj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-08, 03:31   #8
Shark_Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllrj08 View Post
Oh and the obvious lighter/white ledge corners and such.
To true. I was like *sigh another obvious white ledge, well here goes* by the time I reached Egypt.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-08, 06:08   #9
rowanlim

I hope CD will add complexity to the game, I think TRU will give us that, I'm pretty optimistic. I can guess that TRU will definitely be tougher & more terrifying that TRL or TRA
rowanlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-08, 09:31   #10
Gianni Bartoli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllrj08 View Post
I think CD should take a look at TombRaider 3's level design, IMO it had some best levels, and the things it used, it didn't have overkill like the large slope in the first level and the quicksand, it had it in other levels too, but it didn't use it sporadicly in every level throughout the entire game, I think that's where CD get's stale in it's level design. Oh and the obvious lighter/white ledge corners and such.
Oh no please don't! TR3 had levels that were too big, and not enough variety; the same textures everywhere. Tomb Raider's levels had big levels, and every room offered something different.

There is more info in this thread, this should pretty much sum up what Core did better than Crystal D.
Gianni Bartoli is offline   Reply With Quote