Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 18-11-16, 15:30   #41
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
If we are going to compare Core Lara to this Lara, this Lara is more prestigious and a book-worm. She's got a fascination with the tombs, the language, the mummies, the geology.

Classic Lara lived for the reasons that this Lara "hates tombs". I think that's why such a silly, ironic line is being analyzed. The characters are fundamentally different.

This Lara is searching for something, and the adventure is sort of the means to the end. It's more than she asks for each time. Whereas with classic Lara, it's exactly what she wants, she's in it for the adrenaline, for the chase, for the fights. Even though there are times when those may get on her nerves too. They still have a fundamentally different intention.

Classic Lara likes the tombs that classic fans like.
Classic Lara has a lot of experience behind her. I dont know if any if her previous experiences has been as near as thraumatic as the Yamatai one, but if the first one was like this one, I'm sure she would have at least complained once.

You are over analyzing ONE joke. Maybe the only joke in the whole reboot saga. And it's funny because she is meant to be a Tomb Raider. That's the joke.

Me myself: I love the gym. I'm a ****ing vigorexic dude. And I can tell you I said more than once "I hate gym" when there is too much people or when I had to wake up very early to go train. In the context, the joke is funny because the situation wouldnt be appealing even for classic Lara.

Of course, Classic Lara wouldnt have fell, get slamed and beat the **** out of her, so she wouldnt say "I hate tombs". But that classic Lara has already the experience not to suffer doing what she does.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-16, 15:38   #42
larafan25

A) We can never truly measure and compare our own feelings. So someone is afraid of clowns, I don't get that. However, I am afraid of aliens. Irrational fears, but my fear I assure you is strong and real.

B) Their life-experiences do not lead to the same place because they are not the same.

At some point Classic Lara did pick up a gun and shoot somebody. We haven't seen it, apparently. However I am not going to be the one to assume it was traumatic. I think this is a boring, simplistic way to look at a character as exciting and interesting as the original Lara Croft. Someone who enjoyed the use of guns on some level, who clearly has some sense of morality for herself, yet is willing to pull the trigger quickly.

I am well aware of the comment's levity. It's like if I were to say "God I HATE MY LIFE! Can I DIE now!?!?!?" ... I probably don't want to die right now, and I probably don't hate the entirety of my life. I think this joke is so simple that it's likely a very universally understood idea. The sense of irony and the exaggeration. I think most are aware of it.

As for classic Lara, I think it's likely she might fall. She's done some silly things. But why compare the two in the first place, as if to somehow rectify their differences when it cannot be done? The world has already been tainted. Ruined, even.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-16, 16:04   #43
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
A) We can never truly measure and compare our own feelings. So someone is afraid of clowns, I don't get that. However, I am afraid of aliens. Irrational fears, but my fear I assure you is strong and real.

B) Their life-experiences do not lead to the same place because they are not the same.

At some point Classic Lara did pick up a gun and shoot somebody. We haven't seen it, apparently. However I am not going to be the one to assume it was traumatic. I think this is a boring, simplistic way to look at a character as exciting and interesting as the original Lara Croft. Someone who enjoyed the use of guns on some level, who clearly has some sense of morality for herself, yet is willing to pull the trigger quickly.

I am well aware of the comment's levity. It's like if I were to say "God I HATE MY LIFE! Can I DIE now!?!?!?" ... I probably don't want to die right now, and I probably don't hate the entirety of my life. I think this joke is so simple that it's likely a very universally understood idea. The sense of irony and the exaggeration. I think most are aware of it.

As for classic Lara, I think it's likely she might fall. She's done some silly things. But why compare the two in the first place, as if to somehow rectify their differences when it cannot be done? The world has already been tainted. Ruined, even.
This is why I get lost in our conversations xDDDD they always reach a point I can't follow you xDDDD doesn't matter, I don't wanna defend rebootLara anymore, I don't even like her. I just liked that joke as a pun, that's all. I see it the way I said, and I don't want to waste my time defending her as if I cared about her.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 00:42   #44
jajay119

it was meant to be ironic and clever but if just came across as idiotic and stupid; and then even more so why their extended and contradictory childhood back story added in Rise.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 03:00   #45
AimlessThunder

So she went to Yamatai to look for the remains of the sun queen. Usually deceased people are put in graves or in this case tombs, since Himiko was of royal heritage, but Lara hates tombs, yeah because logic..

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 19-11-16 at 03:02.
AimlessThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 10:27   #46
Ian666

Because it's cute, you then laugh going "heh, wait till game 2 love, you'll enjoy them."
Ian666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 10:42   #47
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian666 View Post
Because it's cute, you then laugh going "heh, wait till game 2 love, you'll enjoy them."
I guess you're the type of person CD aim their cheese at and think it's good. Unfortunately, you seem to be in the minority there
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 12:18   #48
lizardspock110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I guess you're the type of person CD aim their cheese at and think it's good. Unfortunately, you seem to be in the minority there
Not really no
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 14:11   #49
Rai

Quote:
it was meant to be ironic and clever but if just came across as idiotic and stupid; and then even more so why their extended and contradictory childhood back story added in Rise.
While the line itself does contradict the backstory, as I said before, the actions in both games do not contradict themselves. She may have been shipwrecked on Yamatai, but it was always her intention to find and explore the island. It's what happened while there and the rather revolting surroundings that promoted her to say that.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-16, 15:49   #50
Daring Do

Quote:
You're acting like being cheesy is a bad thing. I mean, just look at the past TRs. A lot of them were cheese platters and people love them.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote