www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 19-07-18, 01:01   #31
HD Simplicityy
Archaeologist

Speaking of The Hunger Games being mentioned - am I one of the few who likes the movies more than the books? I quite enjoyed reading the trilogy during the movies time in theaters, just that I was far more enthralled with the films. I read Mockingjay in five days, which was SUPER fast for me.
Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely amazing. THG is one of my top five favorite film series.

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 19-07-18 at 01:03.
HD Simplicityy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 01:27   #32
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Just finished A History of Video Games in 64 Objects, by the World Video Game Hall of Fame. I've been trying to learn more about the history of games back before I was playing, and this was super-informative. None of the objects featured are Tomb Raider related (I know, a crime), but otherwise it was a really fascinating book.
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 01:40   #33
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
Speaking of The Hunger Games being mentioned - am I one of the few who likes the movies more than the books? I quite enjoyed reading the trilogy during the movies time in theaters, just that I was far more enthralled with the films. I read Mockingjay in five days, which was SUPER fast for me.
Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely amazing. THG is one of my top five favorite film series.
I read the books in between the Mockingjay movies. I read all three books in like a month. I consider myself an average reader, but those books were really easy to read. Plus I just couldn't wait to find out how it all ended. I was so nervous reading those last chapters of Mockingjay.

I think Catching Fire is both the best book and movie. It's just so good. I love Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, her performance just made me completely fall in love with the characher. I love the movies, but I kind of wish they were a bit darker and a little bit more brutal like in the books. Otherwise I think they're great! Sidenote: I was really into the "hunger games" genre a couple of years ago and wanted more of it, but I really don't like the Divergent series.

Last edited by Legends; 19-07-18 at 01:42.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 09:53   #34
kathrynnn
Explorer

Quote:
THG is one of my favourite film series as well. I like the books and the movies but the books are a bit more brutal, I guess, so I probably would say I like the books a bit more.
Old 19-07-18, 13:10   #35
Amunet
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I've read that too somewhere that Martin "regretted" the kids age. Have you read the first proposal of what the book series was going to be when GRMM pitched it to his publishers?

Dorne is just... well. Let's not speak of it, lol.
Yes, I read his first draft of the story and honestly I think it was for the best that that original pitch was dropped and we ended up with the story we have.
Old 19-07-18, 13:44   #36
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Yes, I read his first draft of the story and honestly I think it was for the best that that original pitch was dropped and we ended up with the story we have.
Hm. I don't know. Some parts of it I liked, and some parts I like better now. It's interesting to know which characters were originally thought to survive. I wonder how far from that it'll be in the end.
Old 19-07-18, 13:54   #37
Amunet
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Hm. I don't know. Some parts of it I liked, and some parts I like better now. It's interesting to know which characters were originally thought to survive. I wonder how far from that it'll be in the end.
Martin has often described himself as a "gardener" type of writer instead of an "architect" - he doesn't plan the story ahead of writing it, he plants the seed, the idea of the story, and lets it grow and see where it takes him. That's why he's taking so much time to write the books. I'm sure he knows the ending he wants, but the road there, it's definitely not written in stone.
Old 19-07-18, 13:59   #38
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Martin has often described himself as a "gardener" type of writer instead of an "architect" - he doesn't plan the story ahead of writing it, he plants the seed, the idea of the story, and lets it grow and see where it takes him. That's why he's taking so much time to write the books. I'm sure he knows the ending he wants, but the road there, it's definitely not written in stone.
Yeah, I haven't heard him say that, but I'm sure it's true. It would seem like a plausible answer to why everything is taking so long.
Old 19-07-18, 19:24   #39
sierra xb
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Honestly I can't think of any examples where, in my opinion, a movie is better than the book it was based on. THG probably comes closest, and I would say the book and movie versions are equally well done, but that is probably a result of how much influence Suzanne Collins had over the production process.

LOTR is another good example. The movies were visually breathtaking, but even as good as they were, they simply couldn't capture all of the nuances and moods of the books. Peter Jackson got them as close as was humanly possible (with the exception of the scenes that were cut),
Old 19-07-18, 20:09   #40
HD Simplicityy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra xb View Post
Honestly I can't think of any examples where, in my opinion, a movie is better than the book it was based on. THG probably comes closest, and I would say the book and movie versions are equally well done, but that is probably a result of how much influence Suzanne Collins had over the production process.

LOTR is another good example. The movies were visually breathtaking, but even as good as they were, they simply couldn't capture all of the nuances and moods of the books. Peter Jackson got them as close as was humanly possible (with the exception of the scenes that were cut),
And PJ did pretty much a fantastic job with what he did, perhaps with a few exceptions that are questionable choices by some. Capturing all the details and nuances Tolkien wrote would be incredibly difficult, as you say. At least he got the visuals and production design down masterfully; basically doing a George Lucas with creating Weta Digital and Workshop.

I also think THG was adapted fairly well. There were always going to be parts cut out, as with most any adaptation of a series/trilogy. Gary Ross and Francis Lawrence did what they could, especially with the problems/general dislikes I've read about Mockingjay that translated into Parts I and II.

Got the final track to Mockingjay Part II's score, that Deep in the Meadow song Jennifer sang in Part I, playing in my head now. I love that track; its beautiful.

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 19-07-18 at 20:10.
HD Simplicityy is online now   Reply With Quote