www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 26-06-18, 06:23   #11
suli
Professor

I like her voice and its tone. but my issue was with her acting. some of the lines were said too fast that they lost their sassiness I guess, perhaps it's how she was directed to act, not because of lack of talent. However, when she hosted the TR 20th anniversary concert I thought she sounded way better as she got older.
Old 26-06-18, 17:37   #12
Aquabird
Hobbyist

She's my favourite Lara voice too. Might be partly rose-tinted glasses syndrome since TR1 was my first and remains my unrivalled favourite of the series, but that iteration of Lara *is* Lara for me, for the reasons describe above (and also in Karen_Leslie's excellent write-up which I thoroughly recommend to those who haven't seen it), and Shelley's voice is a big part of that appeal. Also I got to meet her at the London CBR and she was lovely. And she said 'Welcome to my home' when she did her speech.
Aquabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 17:58   #13
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Shelley Blonde had the right kind of 90s upper class sound - not too old-school (like Judith Gibbins) and not too campy (like Jonell).

I think Keeley Hawes managed best to combine the emotion of oldnuLara with the upper class background.

I’d rank them:

1. Keeley Hawes (great actress in everything)
2. Shelley Blonde (she might have been 1 if we’d heard more of her)
3. Judith Gibbins (she was just too emotionless and intimidating)
4. Jonell Elliott (not her fault, but by this point Core had made Lara “in on the joke” and Jonell had to play her as a campy, self-aware badass vamp - especially in Chronicles)
Old 26-06-18, 18:07   #14
ActuallyArlow
Explorer

well you have my total attention now, iii'm not quite sure i got yours though. helleugh The way she said that line was flirty, but in a taunting way? I loved her sass but she never really put anyone down. Kinda liked the way she was described in the "Fave Lara's behavior" thread. A joyful tone. We might have a bias cos we're fans but TR1 did have better voice acting compared to other 3D games coming out at the time.
Old 28-06-18, 02:50   #15
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I always found the voice acting in the early games oddly skewed. Lara was voiced pretty well by whichever actress was playing her, a bit campy to suit the game's tone but still quite grounded and natural-sounding. However, all the other human characters she encountered sounded ridiculously hammy and sometimes inconsistent, especially if they had non-British accents, which most of them did. One of my favourite examples is Pierre in Chronicles, when he said to Larson "Come, let's get off this roof, and I will buy you milkshake", his hammy kinda-French accent randomly drops mid-sentence and he said "roof" and "milkshake" in the most flat English accent ever haha I always found that so funny though, I love the acting of all the secondary characters for all the wrong reasons haha... "Seal it, Larson."

I love Werner's aggressive "AFTER HA!" command to his ninja assassins in the Karnak section of Last Revelation as well

I find the same thing with her in-game models too. By the time it got to Chronicles her in-game model was looking quite crisp, rounded and detailed, while some of the other characters still looked straight out of 1996.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 28-06-18 at 03:09.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-18, 10:08   #16
Lily.J
Historian

I adore her as well.

The tone of her voice has slightly changed this days. ^^

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xvPPsq_ou0

Last edited by Lily.J; 28-06-18 at 10:23.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 20:33   #17
WWETombRaider
Relic Hunter

She was actually great, and I think her voice was more apt for a young adult Lara. Judith was my favorite though. She gave Lara the maturity, the wit and the snark that I associate to classic Lara. Jonell & Keeley were awesome as well, and worthy successors.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 09:25   #18
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Listening to them again, I’d say that Shelley was the best actress of the original three (though she didn’t have much to work with). Judith underacted (perhaps she was directed to make Lara seem completely unemotional) whilst Jonell overacted (her Lara wouldn’t have been out of place in a pantomime or an American soap).
Old 01-07-18, 14:07   #19
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Boleyn View Post
whilst Jonell overacted (her Lara wouldn’t have been out of place in a pantomime or an American soap).
I kind of feel the same. Jonell was a bit “much” sometimes. Shelley and Judith’s understated, cool performances were better. I’d love to hear them all again in something TR related though.
Old 01-07-18, 18:24   #20
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Depends on what you mean by "overact". I don't think Jonel overacts anywhere near as bad as Camilla has done, at least not to make Lara sound really emotional, but I guess she did lay on the campy theatrics a bit thick.

I love Lara to have a little vamp about her persona though, as long as it's not excessive and distastefully done.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 01-07-18 at 18:25.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote