Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 24-01-09, 13:42   #21
Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serval Boy View Post

Scion is an english word but the game has its own pronounciation for it because it refers to a specific unique item. Same with the Dagger of Xian. Perhaps "Xian" is a Chinese word and is pronounced its own way, but the "Dagger of Xian" is unique with a unique meaning and pronunciation specific to the game. The Dagger of Xian is pronounced the way the game designers want it to. And the game designers probably wanted it pronounced the way Lara did when she read it aloud in Anniversary, or she'd pronounce it differently.
Xi'an is the capital of Shaanxi province and as for pronunciation, I'd trust the Chinese person because otherwise it would be like calling an artefact 'The Dagger of Hertfordshire' and mispronouncing 'Hurt-fordshire' instead of 'Hart-fordshire' it in-game. Anyhoo back to topic
Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 14:50   #22
xRikux89

I've only studied Mandarin for a month or two, but Xi'an (Apostrophe included; "xian" is a single syllable, "xi'an" are two. I suppose it's not included in the level name for aesthetical purposes (and because westerners aren't obliged to give a crap)) would be pronounced something like she-ahn.

It's quite clear it should be pronounced as Chinese would, as the level takes place in China, and it's most likely in reference to a real place, as Pan points out.

(Someone pleeeease notice this thread is over a year old, kthx)
xRikux89 is offline   Reply With Quote