Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 17-05-17, 20:15   #101
Danath

I have redone all the lighting on part 1 and now it looks as awesome as i intended it to.
Had a good laugh the other day when a spider jumped at Lara and caused a crash due to colliding with a light bulb. I made sure that you don't accidentaly collide with bulbs if you go the intended way.
So that part is finished, i just have to make a full test to see light transitions between rooms and see if i can adjust them better.

Here is a little something i wanted to show. It's simple but i like it.
From the water you can see the key you need above, made with a portal view:

And from the above room you can see below.

It looks much better ingame, the transparencies do some weird effects on the saved images.

Last edited by Danath; 08-07-17 at 15:59.
Danath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 18:36   #102
DJ Full

Since you say you ran out of textures I would work on geometry, try to make it as badass organic as possible
Also, I said one bulb can work fine, I didn't mean you necessarily have to always restrict yourself to one per room.
What I see Core did was often using the ambience as a smooth "glue" between bulbs placed in strategic spots.
Which also sounds like a good solution for those rooms which otherwise could annoy players with total darkness.

Also when possible why not to place a reflection bulb on the floor, because no ducking possibility = no crash
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 20:15   #103
Danath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
Since you say you ran out of textures I would work on geometry, try to make it as badass organic as possible
I am trying to! Unfortunately you can't use triangles in TR2 because when you place them they don't have collision. If i ever make a TR3/4 level then i can use that!

Quote:
Also, I said one bulb can work fine, I didn't mean you necessarily have to always restrict yourself to one per room.
Oh i know what you meant don't worry. Sometimes i use 1, not always. It made sense on the exterior area and it looks quite good.

Quote:
Also when possible why not to place a reflection bulb on the floor, because no ducking possibility = no crash
I am already placing bulbs on the floor or below the floor. It's so nice to be able to put them where they can't cause any trouble, and have nice shadowing on top.

Also, i am ahead of where i left it before the splitting, and it is well lit too. A few more rooms and i will have the friggin' map finished yay!
Making part 2 in a separate project was fortunately quite fast. You can open the old project, copy an entire room, then go to the new project and paste the room. Then you have all the geometry, textures, statics and even lights again! It's a great feature.

And then i can begin planning the actual temple level, i have some ideas already in the backburner.
Old 19-05-17, 00:44   #104
DJ Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I am trying to! Unfortunately you can't use triangles in TR2 because when you place them they don't have collision. If i ever make a TR3/4 level then i can use that!
You can still make organic stuff without no-collision triangles. And broken floor triangles are surely allowed Btw you were talking about the ceiling bump. This is solved here.

Quote:
Also, i am ahead of where i left it before the splitting
Are you using a custom wad or a default one? Because you may be able to drop some unnecessary infos from there, then you won't have to split so often.

Quote:
You can open the old project, copy an entire room, then go to the new project and paste the room. Then you have all the geometry, textures, statics and even lights again! It's a great feature.
In fact I don't get it. If it was possible to code for Turbo, why can't this code be incorporated in the official editor. This is something missing the most from it.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-17, 16:25   #105
Danath

Quote:
Btw you were talking about the ceiling bump. This is solved here.
Thank you! I didn't see that for some reason when i checked that thread. Now i can back/side jump correctly. I thought that with the german .exe you would get german text ingame but it's in english.

Quote:
Are you using a custom wad or a default one? Because you may be able to drop some unnecessary infos from there, then you won't have to split so often.
I use a custom wad, i added/deleted things taking Wall.tr2 as a base. And about unnecessary infos, i already cleaned the wad and only kept the bare minimum i need, pherhaps the problem is having too many items placed on the map? ( more than 150 as said by Dxtre on compile ) or too many rooms. But then again when checking with Fexinspect original Core levels there are more than 100 rooms on most maps.

Quote:
In fact I don't get it. If it was possible to code for Turbo, why can't this code be incorporated in the official editor. This is something missing the most from it.
Wow you can't do that in TRLE? The only thing you have to do in Dxtre is creating a new room, doesn't matter the properties. Then with that room selected you go to Room->Paste and it transforms into your saved room! It's awesome.
Old 25-05-17, 23:21   #106
Danath

Hey people, it seems i'm breaking boundaries again!

I have this happening now, on the epic finale i'm making for part 2 ( this is a work in progress shot ):

In a homage to TR2, i'm having a long zipline descent. That red square at the top corner is where you enter, then at the edge there at the center you grab the zipline. The black line crossing is the cable statics i placed.

I don't know exactly what causes that problem. I've tried removing the zipline object and still crashes. And i also tried flattening the ground as you see, on the center where you go with the zipline it's flat ground. I had complex geometry there and i thought that was it, but nope. Also tried deleting the manual portal view to the adjacent room but the game still crashes like that.
At one point i had it working, but it was almost empty of geometry. When i started adding it this has started to happen. Any input on this? I could always simplify this place but it would be amazing to get it working.
The problem is contained to this area, everything else in the map works.

Edit: I have solved it temporarily by deleting all the portals from the top room to the one below, then only placing a long portal only where the zipline makes the descent! It seems my problem could be that i have too many portals on that specific room? When there are no portals on the room, everything works.

Last edited by Danath; 26-05-17 at 00:00.
Old 26-05-17, 00:20   #107
TombRaiderTim

This brings me back to the time I started doing TRLE, since I always used to make wide, square rooms with dull lighting I found by studying the way TR1-TR3 created their geometry for the levels as well as checking out the different hue's they used for lighting, around 6 years later I find myself being able to almost mimic they way Core Design created their landscapes in the classics but you are doing very well for your first level, a lot seems to be going on and the lighting gives the rooms good atmosphere!

Also my golden rule for extracting anything from the data files for a WAD from TR1-TR3, I only ever go for the "DOORS, SWITCHES, PICKUPS, KEY ITEMS, PUZZLE ITEMS, ANIMATING, PLANT, FURNITURE & DEBRIS" as adding Lara, an enemy or some traps straight from those files can cause all sorts of issues, not to mention completely messing up your sound files unless you know how to add them correctly to your wad itself but really it just takes a lot of practice to know what is alright and what isn't since everyone creating levels have unexpected errors suddenly, even to the extent they lose their entire level so make sure to back up!

If you ever wanted to study in depth the geometry of some levels, I always used to use this tool:

https://www.aspidetr.com/en/tools/ro...-rview-5-0-r3/

It allows you to view the level data and inspect every room from the level you open and also be able to see how they are lighted too, it's really a neat tool.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 26-05-17 at 00:27.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-17, 13:36   #108
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
around 6 years later I find myself being able to almost mimic they way Core Design created their landscapes in the classics but you are doing very well for your first level, a lot seems to be going on and the lighting gives the rooms good atmosphere!
Wow 6 years doing levels, that's a long time.
Hope i have the motivation to continue levelbuilding after this project.

There's not a lot going on in my level, it's quite linear but thank you anyway.

Quote:
adding Lara, an enemy or some traps straight from those files can cause all sorts of issues, so make sure to back up!
Thanks for the advice, i use backups for everything: project files, base files, textures. I have had to use a base file backup recently, i was adding a door with Fexmerger and the base file got corrupted and i freaked out. Got it sorted with the backup of course but it still gave me a nice surprise.

Quote:
If you ever wanted to study in depth the geometry of some levels, I always used to use this tool:
https://www.aspidetr.com/en/tools/ro...-rview-5-0-r3/
It allows you to view the level data and inspect every room from the level you open and also be able to see how they are lighted too, it's really a neat tool.
Thank you but unfortunately the program from that link crashes for me, i get this error:

I don't know why it's an ATI OpenGL error, i have updated video drivers and i play games that use GL without any problems.
Rview opens after that, but it keeps giving rview.exe errors, maybe the files on the zip are incomplete. I actually remembered searching for this program some days ago but i didn't find a working version.
Old 26-05-17, 19:30   #109
TombRaiderTim

Ah that is odd, I downloaded this very version a few days back and it loads fine for me, I am using Windows 10 as well and it loads fine. 6 years and still not a level released, i'm working hard on a sort of TR3/TR3 Gold sequel but I like to make sure things look great, so it will take me quite sometime.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-17, 22:54   #110
Danath

Smile

Yeah it's stange, as you can tell by the Aero interface i use Windows 7 x64 and it doesn't work, weird that it does in Win 10 but not 7.

And good luck with your big project! I sure would like to play more things TR3 related.

Update: Yay, got the entire zipline area working great! I'm proud on how that turned out.

Also, a question for you all. If i use the german .exe, you can back/side jump without problems on low ceiling, but the setup and ingame control config is in german. But if i use the english .exe then you cannot back/side jump properly. Which would you prefer me using?

Update 2: A pair of new screens. Old school platforming and a little crossroad before the final part.

Last edited by Danath; 08-07-17 at 16:02. Reason: progress update