Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 23-06-14, 16:39   #1
Kejero

Default Tomb Raider Dynamic Music Suite

Hey guys!

I recently finished an experiment which is both sort of unique in its concept, and a tribute to 18 years of amazing music in all Tomb Raider games and both movies. It's a suite that not only blends all these familiar themes, but also allows you to let the music transition to a different section of the suite at any given moment. Not by simply crossfading, but by using "adaptive music" techniques that are used in videogames today. More than anything it's a modest wave of nostalgia that I'm hoping any people who are as big a fan of the Tomb Raider soundtracks as I am, may enjoy.

The suite exists as a regular piece of music too, and you can find it on YouTube in two parts:
- Part 1: The Sanctum of the Ancients

- Part 2: That Kind of Attention

For those who're curious about the actual dynamic concept, you can find it on my website.

Hope you guys enjoy it, and I'm always looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Kejero

Mod Edit: All links to websites removed. We do encourage sharing of creative works, but only after certain criteria has been reached as per our T&C #5. IIRC, videos embeded into the post may be allowed but no external links.

Last edited by Kejero; 28-06-14 at 22:57.
Kejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-14, 22:19   #2
Lwmte

This is absoultely great. Somehow, you have managed to blend together all soundtracks from TR1 to TR2013, and it sounds completely in place! Being a fan of Nathan McCree scores, I really liked how you have blended in pieces from TR2 and TR3 (almost subtle reminiscence, but it sounds SO great).

I wonder how long it took to accomplish this? All in all, stunning work!
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-14, 22:47   #3
Underhoe

I'm out of words, this was a literal emotional adventure...Just incredible, absolutely breathtaking. I had to rewind certain parts for all the goosebumps it gave me.
edit : ok, i might be just too emotional when it comes to TR music, I couldn't help but get teary at some parts. God, what an art this is.
edit2 : and now I have tried the site, holy hell, that is some unique stuff there.

Last edited by Underhoe; 23-06-14 at 23:14.
Underhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-14, 01:10   #4
SeanCordernay

Awww, the link is gone.
SeanCordernay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-14, 22:56   #5
Kejero

Embedded the movies as requested. And only 98 posts away from putting my website back there as well, yay!
Old 28-06-14, 23:10   #6
Kejero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
This is absoultely great. Somehow, you have managed to blend together all soundtracks from TR1 to TR2013, and it sounds completely in place! Being a fan of Nathan McCree scores, I really liked how you have blended in pieces from TR2 and TR3 (almost subtle reminiscence, but it sounds SO great).

I wonder how long it took to accomplish this? All in all, stunning work!
I worked on it during a period of two years. Hard to say how much time exactly went into it, but counting everything (conception, dynamic system programming, composition, mixing, mastering, exporting, visual art...) I'd guess somewhere around two months of fulltime work (composer months of course, i.e. 7/7 )

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 29-06-14, 11:35   #7
peeves

Nice videos on the music and gameplay.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-14, 23:06   #8
Craig Michaels

This is wonderful. Impressive, nostalgic, and beautiful. i've often imagined what it would be like to hear Tomb Raider in Concert, with a mix of music from different games, and you've captured it - even mixing the great music from the second TR movie, which had an awesome main theme. Thanks so much for creating this!
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote