Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-05-18, 16:04   #11
JsotoTRSaga

I agree with others, It wouldn't have had as much of an impact as the original Reboot so I don't think it would have been a wise decision to make Rise the first game.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 17:01   #12
Chamayoo

I would say obviously yes gameplay wise.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 19:21   #13
Linoshi Croft

I honestly always felt like Rise was essentially the first game but more refined and done substantially better. Personally, I would of preferred it if it was the first game.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 20:15   #14
Mickybyrne20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Basically shorten both, cutting out the fluff, and combine them?
Yeah, exactly. Even certain HUB areas could've been removed. *cough cough* Soviet installation *cough* ROTTR is just a rehash of 2013's reboot at times.

There would've been plenty of globe trotting, Tombs, puzzles, mythology. Tons of content if it was condensed to a single campaign play through.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 23-05-18 at 20:20.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 20:44   #15
Pyro99

Honestly with very few changes to the plot it would be a very realistic scenario to see it as the first game, I just don't think it would have anywhere near the impact of TR9. The setting just simply isn't gritty enough and doesn't break Lara down and then rebuild her the way TR9 did, so I think it would have passed slightly under the radar maybe? Like, she would have been back among the big franchises the way she is now but not with quite as much of a bang if that makes sense.
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-18, 03:24   #16
veigafd

HM..interesting..what if rise was first and then TR2013 the sequel..maybe then people would've liked rise more
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-18, 04:03   #17
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I think the story should keep the Yamatai plot. As an origin story it's quite impactful.
As for the gameplay it should definitely be like Rise. For instance manual health and swimming should be there since the start. Not only it fits the initial TR formula but it totally fits the survival gameplay. Regenerated health is CoD or a blasphemy tbh, it screams "try hard to be trendy". The ratio in gunfights is better too in Rise.
100% this.

The progression of her going from a young uni student whose sceptical about the supernatural into a brave fighter that can survive even the toughest situations and has experienced the unexplainable was essential for her origin story and to be honest I wouldn't have changed anything. Ok maybe a few minor tweaks here and there, but Lara's progression in TR2013 is among the best character development I have ever seen in entertainment
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-18, 16:35   #18
TrustyBow

As many have said, I guess it could have worked but it wouldn't have been as visceral as having TR13 first. I think Rise being first would have made it similar to LAU. Not necessarily a bad thing.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 08:35   #19
CroftManiac05

It could have worked.
If instead of Siberia, ROTTR was located on the Himalayas
after a plane crash, it would fit much better storywise...
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 17:13   #20
moodydog

Only in terms of Gameplay. TR 2013 would have been a lot stronger if it had the expanded elements of Rise from the get-go. It felt quite lacking by comparison. In my honest opinion, I don't think it really needed a sequel for elements such as Tomb and Crypt exploration, side quests, the higher abundance of weapons, skills/ upgrades/ crafting etc to be "expanded upon". I'm not a fan of these gradual increments in content. By 2013, games were already content rich, so I'm not sure why it took a sequel to get nearly up to standard.

That said, if rise was reboot, and the sequel (Rise) was "we've added over 200 caves, Tombs and Temples for Lara to explore, some taking over an hour to complete, with side lines, stories and content exclusive to some of these areas, and grasp the feel of some of the more traditional Tomb Raidering elements"... I would be happy to get just that on each iteration.
Unfortunately, I don't think shadow will be anywhere near as content rich as that. I'm hoping for one or two more Tombs than rise, but not an abundance I was hoping for.

One thing I'm sure I've said in the past too, does anyone else realise that the classic Tomb Raider elements, even the layout and the design of the levels themselves can be so easily embedded into this modern formula as challenge tombs, side quests... just scattered around the over-world.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote