www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 16-09-18, 14:20   #1
Retr0
Hobbyist

Default Some Post-Completion Thoughts (Spoilers)

I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night and had a few thoughts that I wanted to share with the community. I thought SOTTR was great in many ways, but there were also a handful of ways that it disappointed me, which I'd never thought I'd say; especially since TR13 and ROTTR didn't disappoint me at all.

Without further ado:
  • With the whole highlight of the game being Lara starting the apocalypse and feeling guilt, Dominguez would have taken the dagger himself and started the apocalypse anyway. I was rather annoyed by the marketing and trailers for SOTTR illustrating Lara being at fault for all this when in reality, she just beat someone to it.
  • A lot of SOTTR feels identical to ROTTR. Some good, some bad. I wish there were more to distinguish the two.
  • Outfits. Tragic.
  • Felt shorter than Rise of the Tomb Raider. I finished Shadow in 3 days with exploration. It took me a week to finish Rise with exploration.
  • Flashbacks to Lara as a kid makes no sense. She was the same age when her mother was alive as she was when her father was murdered. Where is Ana supposed to fit into this timeline?
  • Rourke's death was insanely underwhelming and the whole finale felt seriously rushed and uninspired.
  • Lastly, a huge problem for me: inconsistent endings. TR13 ended showing Lara reading her dad's journal about Roanoke Island. Rise of the Tomb Raider had nothing to do with Roanoke. Rise of the Tomb Raider ended showing Kennard Montez's Vatican ID card, but he was nowhere to be found in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Ultimately, my feelings about SOTTR are mixed and I've never felt this way about a Tomb Raider game before. I've loved every single game, even Angel of Darkness. Shadow is the first game where I'm honestly dumbfounded. I loved it. I hated it. I can't form final coherent thoughts. I need more time to meditate on the experience.
Retr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 08:23   #2
UroshUchiha
Hobbyist

* Outfits are just a disaster.
* Huh now that you mention the Ana fitting into that timeline does feel weird. I haven't noticed that until you pointed it out.
* Rourke's death was... honestly I didn't even know Rourke was on that turret until the cinematic of him dying happened.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 08:31   #3
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0 View Post
I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night and had a few thoughts that I wanted to share with the community. I thought SOTTR was great in many ways, but there were also a handful of ways that it disappointed me, which I'd never thought I'd say; especially since TR13 and ROTTR didn't disappoint me at all.

Without further ado:
  • With the whole highlight of the game being Lara starting the apocalypse and feeling guilt, Dominguez would have taken the dagger himself and started the apocalypse anyway. I was rather annoyed by the marketing and trailers for SOTTR illustrating Lara being at fault for all this when in reality, she just beat someone to it.
  • A lot of SOTTR feels identical to ROTTR. Some good, some bad. I wish there were more to distinguish the two.
  • Outfits. Tragic.
  • Felt shorter than Rise of the Tomb Raider. I finished Shadow in 3 days with exploration. It took me a week to finish Rise with exploration.
  • Flashbacks to Lara as a kid makes no sense. She was the same age when her mother was alive as she was when her father was murdered. Where is Ana supposed to fit into this timeline?
  • Rourke's death was insanely underwhelming and the whole finale felt seriously rushed and uninspired.
  • Lastly, a huge problem for me: inconsistent endings. TR13 ended showing Lara reading her dad's journal about Roanoke Island. Rise of the Tomb Raider had nothing to do with Roanoke. Rise of the Tomb Raider ended showing Kennard Montez's Vatican ID card, but he was nowhere to be found in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Ultimately, my feelings about SOTTR are mixed and I've never felt this way about a Tomb Raider game before. I've loved every single game, even Angel of Darkness. Shadow is the first game where I'm honestly dumbfounded. I loved it. I hated it. I can't form final coherent thoughts. I need more time to meditate on the experience.
1. I think Dominguez was locating the Dagger, he didn't plan on taking it however until he also had the box (I think) either way, the world would have been screwed. I think he was just trying to play with Lara's head.

2. Yes it's very similar to Rise. However I didn't mind because I loved Rise and wanted more of it.

3. Other optional outfits aren't fantastic, no, but that doesn't bother me as I love her default one.

4. In my opinion it was longer see, It took me one day and a half to finish Rise and Shadow took me 3 days.

5. The flashback sequences were more dream-like than reality/canon. So it doesn't matter her mother shows up there, dreams aren't specific.

6. I can't argue about Rourke because tbh I forgot he existed despite hearing him on the radio a few times. He was kinda buried under everything and I didn't even realize he'd died at the end, nor that the Trinity counsel died too!

7. I think Lara had Kennard's ID card because it was him who had his eyes crushed through his skull. She probably took it off him after and it's placed there as a nod to the novel without confusing people who never read it.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 11:31   #4
Retr0
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
5. The flashback sequences were more dream-like than reality/canon. So it doesn't matter her mother shows up there, dreams aren't specific.
I disagree; the sequence when Lara is exploring and climbing before Richard's death looked more like a flashback than a dream. Especially since we know that Lara was home when she heard the gunshot and found Richard's body.

The flashback or vision Lara has of her mother painting and the three of them together having a picnic planning their vacation could have been a dream or a vision of what could have been, perhaps.

Either way, it I don't think it was executed properly.

Side note: they actually changed the gun Richard had in his hand when Konstantin staged the suicide. In Rise, they show Richard holding the default Beretta pistol from TR13; in Shadow, he's holding the default 1911 pistol from Rise. Weird.
Old 18-09-18, 11:55   #5
Baratheon
Archaeologist

It's a dream. Soundtrack is literally "Lara's Dream" - and you know, Lara wakes up afterward. I would have loved an dabble of darkness with a shadowy figure of Ana or something.
Old 18-09-18, 12:13   #6
Pyro99
Archaeologist

If we're gonna blame Shadow for being too similar to Rise then let's not forget that Rise barely pushed anything further than TR9 lmao, although I do see what you mean. I totally agree about Rourke's death as I was expecting something very brutal on Lara's part, like when she comes out of the water in the Oil Distillery and kills that terrified guy, or even better, shooting him in a way that forbids him to walk and leaving him for the zombies. The finale in general felt rushed.
The timeline did confuse me for a second, feels like an oversight. The outfits were a bit meh but it didn't really bother me, as for the endings I also agree. It always bothered me how Rise went in a totally different direction than speculated (since the speculations actually had evidence), so it's a shame Shadow did the same
Old 18-09-18, 12:30   #7
Retr0
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
It's a dream. Soundtrack is literally "Lara's Dream" - and you know, Lara wakes up afterward. I would have loved an dabble of darkness with a shadowy figure of Ana or something.
Well, it's a substantially accurate dream, then. Regardless, the timeline is lacking.