Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 17-09-18, 08:44   #41
Bladebur

The new difficulty settings are a failure for me because in order to get full game completion (achievements/trophies) you need to play in the hardest mode for everything and you can't change them. They shouldn't really tie achievements to difficulty settings, or at least to the harder one, which is more annoying than hard.

White ledges are a non-issue IMO because the path is still pretty obvious despite those not being there. Things like overhanging platforms or climbable walls still have a distinct look which work pretty much the same.
Bladebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 10:13   #42
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladebur View Post
The new difficulty settings are a failure for me because in order to get full game completion (achievements/trophies) you need to play in the hardest mode for everything and you can't change them. They shouldn't really tie achievements to difficulty settings, or at least to the harder one, which is more annoying than hard.

White ledges are a non-issue IMO because the path is still pretty obvious despite those not being there. Things like overhanging platforms or climbable walls still have a distinct look which work pretty much the same.
That is the most common sense/ reasomable thing.

You get 100% on hardest gameplay; otherwise, why even include a difficulty setting

And the path was not that obvious; removing white ledges and paint is the what makes this game stand out from many other games; unless you have a more stellar eye and notice things faster than many of us, then this remains your own problem
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 11:46   #43
Bladebur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
That is the most common sense/ reasomable thing.

You get 100% on hardest gameplay; otherwise, why even include a difficulty setting
Most of the time I'd agree with you, but not in this game, because the hardest difficulty is poorly designed. Campfire placement is highly inconsistent (those were obviously not designed as save points) and you can purchase skills which just won't work.

A number of games won't tie trophies to difficulty settings, or will unlock trophies in any mode other than easy. That would have been the right choice for Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
TAnd the path was not that obvious; removing white ledges and paint is the what makes this game stand out from many other games; unless you have a more stellar eye and notice things faster than many of us, then this remains your own problem
Let's agree to disagree here. I remember zero moments in the entire game where I had any doubts about the path to follow. I may remember some ledges which were not interactive even when they looked that way, but those were very, very few. I'm saying that as a compliment to the developers since I thought I would have many more problems with that. For the most part, interactive ledges looked distinct enough.
Old 17-09-18, 11:56   #44
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladebur View Post
Most of the time I'd agree with you, but not in this game, because the hardest difficulty is poorly designed. Campfire placement is highly inconsistent (those were obviously not designed as save points) and you can purchase skills which just won't work.

A number of games won't tie trophies to difficulty settings, or will unlock trophies in any mode other than easy. That would have been the right choice for Shadow.

Let's agree to disagree here. I remember zero moments in the entire game where I had any doubts about the path to follow. I may remember some ledges which were not interactive even when they looked that way, but those were very, very few. I'm saying that as a compliment to the developers since I thought I would have many more problems with that. For the most part, interactive ledges looked distinct enough.

Maybe I am judging too fast because I am still at my first 5% of the game and ahve not yet gone too far; but having to look and see where to go was very wonderful for me, and when I reached this first underwater tomb and I remember a very dark place where I had to look and search to see how to get to the top.

Maybe when I play more I can make a better point about this
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 13:02   #45
KylieDog

Does Shadow still have a bunch of ledges that look climbable, and are a climbable height, but aren't actually climbable, like 2013 and Rise have.

I ask because if I turn off white ledges when I buy the game, I don't wanna be running around doing the video below looking for the 'magic' climbable wall the Devs want you to use.

KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 16:19   #46
Bladebur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
Does Shadow still have a bunch of ledges that look climbable, and are a climbable height, but aren't actually climbable, like 2013 and Rise have.

I ask because if I turn off white ledges when I buy the game, I don't wanna be running around doing the video below looking for the 'magic' climbable wall the Devs want you to use.

Yes. Climbable ledges are obviously scripted by the designers, it's not a game mechanic, so you can't climb anything they didn't intend. I've not seen any case as blatant as the one in your video, but perhaps those can be found if you look hard enough.
Old 17-09-18, 21:41   #47
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
What do you think?
{Rhetoric} What do you think?

or for what reason would they get rid of it?

Last edited by moodydog; 17-09-18 at 21:44.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 12:39   #48
Pyro99

hope not lmao, i liked having to take 0.3 seconds to think about where i'm supposed to jump
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote