www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-09-18, 08:44   #41
Bladebur
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Default

The new difficulty settings are a failure for me because in order to get full game completion (achievements/trophies) you need to play in the hardest mode for everything and you can't change them. They shouldn't really tie achievements to difficulty settings, or at least to the harder one, which is more annoying than hard.

White ledges are a non-issue IMO because the path is still pretty obvious despite those not being there. Things like overhanging platforms or climbable walls still have a distinct look which work pretty much the same.
Bladebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 10:13   #42
Avalon SARL
Professor
 
Avalon SARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 4,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladebur View Post
The new difficulty settings are a failure for me because in order to get full game completion (achievements/trophies) you need to play in the hardest mode for everything and you can't change them. They shouldn't really tie achievements to difficulty settings, or at least to the harder one, which is more annoying than hard.

White ledges are a non-issue IMO because the path is still pretty obvious despite those not being there. Things like overhanging platforms or climbable walls still have a distinct look which work pretty much the same.
That is the most common sense/ reasomable thing.

You get 100% on hardest gameplay; otherwise, why even include a difficulty setting

And the path was not that obvious; removing white ledges and paint is the what makes this game stand out from many other games; unless you have a more stellar eye and notice things faster than many of us, then this remains your own problem
__________________
YEAH YEAH WHATEVER...
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 11:46   #43
Bladebur
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
That is the most common sense/ reasomable thing.

You get 100% on hardest gameplay; otherwise, why even include a difficulty setting
Most of the time I'd agree with you, but not in this game, because the hardest difficulty is poorly designed. Campfire placement is highly inconsistent (those were obviously not designed as save points) and you can purchase skills which just won't work.

A number of games won't tie trophies to difficulty settings, or will unlock trophies in any mode other than easy. That would have been the right choice for Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
TAnd the path was not that obvious; removing white ledges and paint is the what makes this game stand out from many other games; unless you have a more stellar eye and notice things faster than many of us, then this remains your own problem
Let's agree to disagree here. I remember zero moments in the entire game where I had any doubts about the path to follow. I may remember some ledges which were not interactive even when they looked that way, but those were very, very few. I'm saying that as a compliment to the developers since I thought I would have many more problems with that. For the most part, interactive ledges looked distinct enough.
Bladebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 11:56   #44
Avalon SARL
Professor
 
Avalon SARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 4,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladebur View Post
Most of the time I'd agree with you, but not in this game, because the hardest difficulty is poorly designed. Campfire placement is highly inconsistent (those were obviously not designed as save points) and you can purchase skills which just won't work.

A number of games won't tie trophies to difficulty settings, or will unlock trophies in any mode other than easy. That would have been the right choice for Shadow.



Let's agree to disagree here. I remember zero moments in the entire game where I had any doubts about the path to follow. I may remember some ledges which were not interactive even when they looked that way, but those were very, very few. I'm saying that as a compliment to the developers since I thought I would have many more problems with that. For the most part, interactive ledges looked distinct enough.

Maybe I am judging too fast because I am still at my first 5% of the game and ahve not yet gone too far; but having to look and see where to go was very wonderful for me, and when I reached this first underwater tomb and I remember a very dark place where I had to look and search to see how to get to the top.

Maybe when I play more I can make a better point about this
__________________
YEAH YEAH WHATEVER...
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 13:02   #45
KylieDog
Archaeologist
 
KylieDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,013
Default

Does Shadow still have a bunch of ledges that look climbable, and are a climbable height, but aren't actually climbable, like 2013 and Rise have.

I ask because if I turn off white ledges when I buy the game, I don't wanna be running around doing the video below looking for the 'magic' climbable wall the Devs want you to use.

KylieDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 16:19   #46
Bladebur
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
Does Shadow still have a bunch of ledges that look climbable, and are a climbable height, but aren't actually climbable, like 2013 and Rise have.

I ask because if I turn off white ledges when I buy the game, I don't wanna be running around doing the video below looking for the 'magic' climbable wall the Devs want you to use.

Yes. Climbable ledges are obviously scripted by the designers, it's not a game mechanic, so you can't climb anything they didn't intend. I've not seen any case as blatant as the one in your video, but perhaps those can be found if you look hard enough.
Bladebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 21:41   #47
moodydog
Relic Hunter
 
moodydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Middle of Somewhere
Posts: 9,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
What do you think?
{Rhetoric} What do you think?

or for what reason would they get rid of it?
__________________
I am Schrödinger's lesser known dog

Last edited by moodydog; 17-09-18 at 21:44.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 12:39   #48
Pyro99
Archaeologist
 
Pyro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: It depends on whether I've been naughty or nice.
Posts: 1,015
Default

hope not lmao, i liked having to take 0.3 seconds to think about where i'm supposed to jump
__________________
Trying sth all fans should try, called "appreciating every version of Lara"
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.