www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 16-09-18, 12:16   #1
Krumpet
Historian

Default How should future storylines break the formula and keep things fresh? (SPOILERS)

One of the biggest problems this series has with its storylines is its dependence on following an established formula. TR1 introduced the concept of Lara traveling to different places around the world for pieces of an artifact that originated from the same civilization - a storyline that would be recycled many times in TR3, Legend, Underworld and of course Anniversary. It got to a point where after five games - seeing the same story retold with minor alterations got stale fast.

2013 was a breath of fresh air by attempting to do something different, but now Rise and Shadow have fallen into the same trap of essentially retelling the same story again with minor alterations in characters and culture.

My question is what can be done to keep future storylines feeling fresh and unpredictable without being so dependent on following the established formula of retelling TR1/2013 with a new coat of paint?
Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 12:23   #2
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpet View Post
One of the biggest problems this series has with its storylines is its dependence on following an established formula. TR1 introduced the concept of Lara traveling to different places around the world for pieces of an artifact that originated from the same civilization - a storyline that would be recycled many times in TR3, Legend, Underworld and of course Anniversary. It got to a point where after five games - seeing the same story retold with minor alterations got stale fast.

2013 was a breath of fresh air by attempting to do something different, but now Rise and Shadow have fallen into the same trap of essentially retelling the same story again with minor alterations in characters and culture.

My question is what can be done to keep future storylines feeling fresh and unpredictable without being so dependent on following the established formula of retelling TR1/2013 with a new coat of paint?
Don't just do the same thing, over and over, have a few games with Lara travelling to very different locations in the games and maybe a few set more-in-depth in a single location.

So one or two games mostly globe trotting and then a few set in one location more-in-depth.

Last edited by Samz; 16-09-18 at 12:28.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 12:51   #3
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I've put it elsewhere but I'll say it again. To break the formula they need to...

- Stop having mad chases with bad guys to save the world
- Stop having the game story take place over a few days. If you want depth of story and a story that profoundly impacts on character, then you need it take place over a longer period of time
- Stop being in the same kinds of places doing the same kinds of thing.

In addition, I think they need to:

- How something "wow" happen. Bring in unexpectedness and plot twists. Like the first trailer had more drama than the actual game. That is completely wrong - the actual game should have included elements like that, where we're stunned at what's happening and want to know what's happening next.

Also, they need better mysteries. And by that, I mean it has to be less straightforward and more genuinely "mysterious". With some believability behind it (for me).

Like why has Lara taking that knife created a change in the world? Caused an eclipse? If it isn't explained (even with a bit of pseudo science) then to me it's just "saving Princess Peach" and I know it's "just a game" so don't feel as involved.

And also, it should be written so that apprehension is felt for Lara's choices. By this I mean, Lara took the knife BEFORE we even knew it was perilious. A lost opportunity for tension building....

I don't want to be overly critical because there were some nice bits in there, but to break the formula, these are the types of things I feel they need to do.
Old 16-09-18, 13:34   #4
dadadas
Student

Take some inspiration from AoD storytelling. Also globe trotting is a must.
dadadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 13:37   #5
JonahImHere
Hobbyist

They should not focus on the legend/mythology/lost city storyline that the characters are being overshadowed. It feels like Lara is just a random character that you can customize and she'll be on her way to do missions. (is RPG the term or MMORPG?).

Take Uncharted for example, as much as I'm tired with comparing it to Tomb Raider, TR should really take notes on how to balance things. In UC, tombs & puzzles are exciting, environments are spectacular, the legend is well written, but the focus is within the characters on their journey.

A lot of people want Tomb Raider to just be about Lara herself, solo in her adventures. But to be honest, very good and well-received games nowadays have really good stories with really good supporting characters. I'm not going to play for 14 hours with just Lara talking to herself.

Modern Settings, Globetrotting, Plot twists, multiple legends/myths linked, Better supporting characters, New weapons, A rival adventurer, Exploring aristocracy, automobiles.
Old 16-09-18, 14:07   #6
Axell
Student

Beware, Long read filed with spoilers!

I loved Shadow. I thought it felt like the most Tomb Raider game out of the reboot trilogy. I do think it had a lot of problems, though. Mainly the way the story played out.

It's always the same formula. Lara ends up gearless and has to find/upgrade/craft her gear to beat a secret society to a lost artifact/city with the games always ending up finding some form of army/civilization that is almost nightmarish protecting that lost artifact/city. The finale is always about climbing some big tower to stop whatever ritual there is to stop. It's just a bit redundant at this point.

I do think that Shadow did some great things with the social hubs, the optional tombs, and some great iconic moments. It did borrow a lot from the previous games, almost too much that it seemed uninspired. While I loved the concept of Paititi and the Amazon jungle, I just think there were a lot of missed opportunities with the game as a whole, the formula being far too repetitive and that was the same problem a lot of people had with Rise.

In terms of how I think the formula would be broken, I think these new games need to find their niche. To echo what a lot of people have said before, Tomb Raider is great when it's being Tomb Raider. Yes, it can borrow concepts from other genres but it truly shines when you find an ancient temple or tomb in a remote area--and then finding a way in and out of that place, plus the reward that comes with beating whatever it was that place had in store for you is what Tomb Raider is all about.

I think if we mix that with a great storyline, something that really pushes the player forward through this incredibly realized world (ala God of War), then we have a great Tomb Raider game. I really do wish that Shadow focused on the Angel De La Cruz and the T. Serrano storylines. I think if they were mixed well within the main narrative, the story to find Paititi and the parallels between those two men's fate and Lara's journey would've hit us harder.

With all of that, I think the reboot series does gameplay really well. If the next game focuses on re-inventing platforming and making it unique and more fleshed out, the game can be something special. I loved the rappel, the wall run, and the horizontal climb in Shadow but I think they were under-used. Push those elements further and we can have some incredible climbing sequences. The same goes for the way we traverse the world through swimming. Also, this is just my personal opinion but they really need to change those animations on a game-by-game basis. Or at least polish them so that they're not so jerky. A lot of those animations just pull me out of the experience. In terms of Lara's athleticism and the way she moves around the world, I think she should be more graceful. From the way that she reaches for a ledge to how she scrambles/rolls. I think it would show exactly how much she's grown over the years.

With that said, there's a lot that can be improved and a lot that should be expanded upon from Shadow. The game truly was great to play through, and I think if it was handled with a lot less hesitation towards deviating from the mainstream, then these games can truly shine in their own right.

Last edited by Axell; 16-09-18 at 14:20.
Axell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 14:56   #7
dadadas
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axell View Post
If the next game focuses on re-inventing platforming and making it unique and more fleshed out, the game can be something special. I loved the rappel, the wall run, and the horizontal climb in Shadow but I think they were under-used. Push those elements further and we can have some incredible climbing sequences. The same goes for the way we traverse the world through swimming.
Don't forget climbing arrrow in Rise.
dadadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 13:12   #8
Pyro99
Archaeologist

I feel they shouldn't fall into the same formula as the last 3 games, which is 1 big geographical area (with a small part elsewhere in Rise and Shadow's intros). Going back to globe-trotting could really help