www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-09-18, 01:22   #211
Swiz19
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
Naughty Dog would turn Tomb Raider into an interactive movie. That seems all they’re capable of doing these days, which is a shame as their older games were a lot more inventive.
Very true. I would like the naughty dog writers (and animators at this point), but whoever has been making the gameplay, environments, characters models, etc. since TR2013 should stay. I like them
Swiz19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 02:00   #212
remyma
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I'm conflicted.
I adored what EM brought in, but there's no denying it really lacks the polish/detail CD puts in. In a perfect world, it would be both in putting the stuff each do the best. EM should renew the formula for game 4, while CD works on the mechanical part of it.

I speak from my personal experience. The game has too many hiccups while playing on PC when compared to ROTTR
CD is trash.
remyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 12:38   #213
Pyro99
Archaeologist

literally dont care about anyone's opinion on that. The only people who just can't accept this Lara as a character are bitter Core fans who are creepily fixated on either the classics or AoD
Old 18-09-18, 14:57   #214
remyma
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
literally dont care about anyone's opinion on that. The only people who just can't accept this Lara as a character are bitter Core fans who are creepily fixated on either the classics or AoD
We're bitter and creepily fixated because we don't care for Lara the soap opera actress?
remyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 15:04   #215
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
I don't think this is a fair comment. I wouldn't love reboot Lara even without Core Lara for comparison nor would I love her if the games weren't actually Tomb Raider games. I just find her for the most part bland and uninteresting (she does have her moments) and her character development lacking.

Granted, because it is a Tomb Raider game making the comparison between the different Lara's and games is given.
Old 18-09-18, 15:09   #216
Vaskito
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyma View Post
CD is trash.
Oh wow, so well elaborated
Old 18-09-18, 15:11   #217
Samz
Professor

Quote:
What about people who also liked LAU?
I think having to demonise people "Bitter core fans who are creepily fixated" isn't a good arguement, because there are significant characterisation differences between all 3 iterations and brushing them aside to call people "Bitter" and "Creepy" is shallow.

Last edited by Samz; 18-09-18 at 15:24.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 16:32   #218
NoahCrofRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
What about people who also liked LAU?
I think having to demonise people "Bitter core fans who are creepily fixated" isn't a good arguement, because there are significant characterisation differences between all 3 iterations and brushing them aside to call people "Bitter" and "Creepy" is shallow.
This. Some people don’t see reboot Lara as “Lara” because they don’t see the “Lara” in her. I do, but others just see a whiny or overdramatic girl with severe daddy issues and no taste for adventure.
Old 18-09-18, 18:10   #219
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Thanks for showing that video here in this thread. I hadn't seen it yet. I think the developers should have kept that in TR 2013. Perhaps that would have made up for making tombs side quest in a "Tomb Raider" game. Hmm. No, I just like to shoot things. I came to see the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
And yet a lot of people who were not fans of the reboot or Rise tried the game and found things that appealed to them, even though it’s not perfect for them as a TR.

Talking about/trashing something you have no interest in and you haven’t even experienced for yourself is not very wise. Not only that but the lack of knowledge on the subject can make you look like a fool if you guys are not careful enough.
From their perspective they are the most objective. Because they don't play.
There is a lot of perspective you can gain from those who do other things but also talk about the things they don't do. Like how they've experienced it, and such. Well, you know what I mean. (^,~)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
[b]Imagine if Legend made you walk slow while you talked to Zip and Alistair....You couldn't climb or anything. You just had to wait it out. Mess.[b]

I hope they can find a way back to this.
I wouldn't mind. I might become a little frustrated if I had died a few moments later, which would result in to having to do all of that all over again. That I would have to redo that all over again, repeatedly, because I would have died more than once.

Imagine that a few times over. Ironically the TR LAU & Lara Croft video game series had moments like that, and I would be lying if I'd say I didn't enjoy them. I'm happy they've made cut-scenes skip-able, and that some checkpoints can be reactivated throughout the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Tomb Raider will never be new again, and it never has to be new again. Tomb Raider is constantly being made new as it is re-conextualized by the changing video game landscape.
Essentially there is only one Tomb Raider. The first, which came out in 1996 for PC. They've been trying to copy the concept, designs, characters ever since. Even re-used the name Tomb Raider. There is just this great idea that people have that they can do that again, but better. Has it been better? That is up to the beholder who has paid to play these games. If you ask me.. She is alive in my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
The success of a Tomb Raider fan, is to have Tomb Raider. Not for some studio lacking the means, to gain industry prestige and money.
Trust me, they lack nothing. And why should they, when nobody did what they did before they did it, in this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
Keeley was well know back when she did LAU as well. I doubt she’d say no to returning.
I hope she comes back. Maybe another Lara Croft & .... (3) game?
I've been listening to her voice since I was 19 years old. I'd like to think that she has been somewhat a mother figure to me. Yep, Lara Croft comforted me when I was nothing but a lousy young boy in my room doing nothing more than playing video games, and thinking of a way how to interpret where to go next in my video game playthroughs. Lara Croft, who was slowly guiding me to the next way point. I'm older now, so my memories are but memories. Camilla is great, but Keeley Hawes voiced my youth. In my memory that can't change, but as I get older my memories will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
My sentiments exactly! Shadow's an improvement on the previous two games but they're still getting some key elements wrong...

Less wilderness, more tombs, temples and lost cities that are still largely intact/preserved. (TR2013 was laughable for its so-called tombs!)

A more sassy Lara - enough melancholy and brutality.

Stop the endless cinematic music - relative silence was part of what created the isolated atmosphere of the classic games, punctuated by *memorable* pieces of music (thanks to Nathan McCree).

No more mercenary shoot-outs - maybe a few bad guys here and there, but the 'hordes of men with guns' is so done.

And bring back the dual pistols. It's 2018 - nobody runs around with a bow and arrow! (that was maybe alright when Hunger Games was trending, but that's so over).

Simple
"Key" is precisely the word that I was missing. The player is simply granted a lock pick, and becomes a thief when you open the treasure boxes with it. I guess one could take offence and take the word "Raider" in "Tomb Raider" a bit too serious hmm?

I miss having to search for a key, or a puzzle item to unlock doors and continue further in the game. In my opinion this is an issue with design, not with the games.

"I need Thor's belt to get his hammer, and I need his hammer to kill a god."
This sentence by itself is a puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Tomb Raider/ View Post
LAU was a reboot.
Yes it was sweety. And "A" in LAU was a remake. I guess people can't really decide whether LAU was a reboot or a remake. There is this character who calls herself Lara Croft, and somehow she exists in all of these games. I guess they're in it together huh?
A parallel universe. Hmpf, who would have guessed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
This. Some people don’t see reboot Lara as “Lara” because they don’t see the “Lara” in her. I do, but others just see a whiny or overdramatic girl with severe daddy issues and no taste for adventure.
Identification has been an issue for people who have seen, and have played all of Lara Croft's videogames. If you ask me, and you probably wouldn't, I think that this is just a means to set a "rating" for a younger audience. We wouldn't want children to grow up, thinking that shooting people without a motive in videogames is OK. Believe it or not, but some people think like that. That a video game like this is going to ruin who we are. Does it matter that a child says that it won't? There are no valid studies on the matter, so a middle path is giving Lara a somewhat dramatic moment in her videogame life when she shoots a virtual game character down. How does it feel?

Last edited by jeffrey van oort; 18-09-18 at 18:12.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 18:18   #220
JuditePrince12
Explorer

I really hope old characters can return like Zip. I actually liked him.