Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-06-17, 06:09   #21
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
The E3 trailer displayed Lara as more of an introvert, silent character. Then when she speaks, it's effective. ROTTR Lara spoke too much. She was too expressive
It's a myth that introverts are too closed and unsociable. Introverts are not some kind of a misanthrope or autist. They still can be quite communicative and cheerful. The difference against extroverts lays a bit deeper.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 07:04   #22
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
The E3 trailer displayed Lara as more of an introvert, silent character. Then when she speaks, it's effective. ROTTR Lara spoke too much. She was too expressive. The way she is displayed in the post-rise comics is 10x better. Even though they're pretty rubbish.

I like how she acted after she found out Ana was with Trinity in the Prison. She should have acted like that more throughout the game. I think they wanted to show a slightly unhinged Lara, slightly going a bit crazy at the thought of so many possibilities after what she witnessed in the last game, sort of like what her dad was like as his reputation was falling.

I do believe as the games go on and Lara's character is developed further, she will become more stoic.
I think people holding out for a personality transplant in the next games are going to be utterly disappointed. So much has already happened that could of altered her personality yet seemingly Lara has (IMO) not really changed at all. To randomly change her character now would be just jarring and make little to no sense. Plus, as I said before I feel as If fans have even more of an issue with her motivations, you can make her act as you please but if her motivations are still utterly comic book hero shallow it does very little to make the character better, if anything it would make her character worse as her personality wouldn't align with her goals which would make for a strange and shoddy character that would feel like crystals vision wrapped in a classic Lara skin.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 22-06-17 at 07:10.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 08:37   #23
Gh0stBlade

Man..... just watched the CGI trailer for the first time in years. It made me smile, this is what I wanted from Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not the trash that eventually got released.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 10:02   #24
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Man..... just watched the CGI trailer for the first time in years. It made me smile, this is what I wanted from Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not the trash that eventually got released.
But, that is what we got. I'm not sure what you wanted to be different? Please, elaborate?
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 19:19   #25
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
But, that is what we got. I'm not sure what you wanted to be different? Please, elaborate?
I don't even think they know either
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 20:02   #26
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
But, that is what we got.
This .

The only difference between the trailer and the game is that Lara in the trailer looked more of a cold adrenaline junkie than her game counterpart , but the rest was all in the game : rainy forest , bear chase , the outfit , the exact same ice cave with the temple , hell even the jump to a cliff and a last minute grab with the axe was in the game and not only once but like 3 times the trailer is a faithful representation of Rise in my opinion bar the slight difference in Lara's character , perhaps due to the original intention of CD (or Rhianna) being more exploration of Lara's PTSD , but then that got toned down significantly (except for some scenes like Lara jumping at voices and getting ready to attack the stalker in her apartment before knowing it was Ana) because CD apparently didn't have the guts to take the risk .

Last edited by Patrick star; 22-06-17 at 20:03.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 21:41   #27
AntRaidsTombs

I just pray in the 3rd game they take that risk.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 07:09   #28
Trenton

Quote:
The E3 trailer displayed Lara as more of an introvert, silent character. Then when she speaks, it's effective. ROTTR Lara spoke too much. She was too expressive. The way she is displayed in the post-rise comics is 10x better. Even though they're pretty rubbish.

I like how she acted after she found out Ana was with Trinity in the Prison. She should have acted like that more throughout the game. I think they wanted to show a slightly unhinged Lara, slightly going a bit crazy at the thought of so many possibilities after what she witnessed in the last game, sort of like what her dad was like as his reputation was falling.

I do believe as the games go on and Lara's character is developed further, she will become more stoic.
Yeah I think it's indeed a bit of a mismatch between the intriguing character in the CGI trailer and the constant jabbering of Lara in the game. The character in the trailer comes off as a much darker, more troubled individual that wouldn't walk around in the snow saying stuff like 'must find sheltah'.
In the game she's in many ways too similar to TR2013 Lara. I think they missed an opportunity to explore a darker more interesting character. But then again these games aren't the best medium to explore such things. IDK.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 20:37   #29
malferink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Yeah I think it's indeed a bit of a mismatch between the intriguing character in the CGI trailer and the constant jabbering of Lara in the game. The character in the trailer comes off as a much darker, more troubled individual that wouldn't walk around in the snow saying stuff like 'must find sheltah'.
In the game she's in many ways too similar to TR2013 Lara. I think they missed an opportunity to explore a darker more interesting character. But then again these games aren't the best medium to explore such things. IDK.
OMG

I loved ROTR, but the story was really disappointing, even more so than the previous one. I don't have high hopes for Shadow (I hate the title btw :/ ) because until now it seems CD themselves are holding the story back, not necessarily rhianna. I liked her drafts more than what CD eventually came up with. that's why i think changing writers won't help all that much. Hope to be proven wrong though.

but man, every time I watch this trailer I get goosebumps. the music is just amazing, i can't imagine how many times I watched when it just came out
malferink is online now   Reply With Quote