Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 25-07-13, 17:39   #1
RoomTraider

Default Epitomes of things

This might seem a little strange but I was just thinking about how all female action heroes will be likened to Lara Croft, all shark films will be likened to Jaws, all girlbands will be likened to the Spice Girls...

So, what do you think is the epitome/what everyone compares to in things such as film plots, character types etc?

Slightly odd thread but
RoomTraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13, 17:43   #2
LNSNHGTDS

To most Westerners (I don't know if that's a word) all Asians are Chinese/all Asians look the same, which is wrong and offensive .

Last edited by LNSNHGTDS; 25-07-13 at 17:44.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13, 17:53   #3
RoomTraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
To most Westerners (I don't know if that's a word) all Asians are Chinese/all Asians look the same, which is wrong and offensive .

In the UK, Asian is used to describe the middle easterns and Indians whilst orientals are referred to as 'Chinese'

From what I've heard, an 'Asian' in the generic sense in US lingo is someone Oriental
Old 26-07-13, 09:43   #4
LNSNHGTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoomTraider View Post
In the UK, Asian is used to describe the middle easterns and Indians whilst orientals are referred to as 'Chinese'

From what I've heard, an 'Asian' in the generic sense in US lingo is someone Oriental
Wow, I didn't know that.

Anyway, I was referring to the Asian race (what you call oriental, apparently) who are people from East Asia, South East Asia (China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Philippines) .

Usually, in the west, when someone sees a person with slanted eyes they assume he's chinese just because of that facial feature while they might aswell be japanese or korean. That's the kind of point I was trying to get accross.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-13, 11:32   #5
jackali
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoomTraider View Post

Yeah... no.

That's really not how it works where I live in the UK. Asians are people from Asia - the continent.

Maybe things are different for your local area, but it's really not that way for the whole UK. Please don't make us all seem like we're racist.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-13, 16:17   #6
RoomTraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
Yeah... no.

That's really not how it works where I live in the UK. Asians are people from Asia - the continent.

Maybe things are different for your local area, but it's really not that way for the whole UK. Please don't make us all seem like we're racist.
If you said to someone 'I have an Asian friend' you would imagine them to look Pakistani whereas in the USA you would picture someone from the Far East. Which is why many people say 'Oriental' for someone from East Asia, because they are totally different to the Arabic and Indian peoples.

ANYWAY this has been a total flop of a thread