Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 28-02-15, 19:01   #1
LateRaider
Inactive

Angry What in the WORLD was this game!? (Rant)

Edit 1 - I've since figured out what my problem was with TRA, so this rant is now somewhat outdated. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam, Tomb Raider Forums.

Edit 2 - Update on my thoughts on TRA after getting the Platinum Trophy.

Edit 3 - lmao wow i was a dramatic little bitch wasn't i? anyway i love TR:A now, it's one of my favorite games in the franchies. bye hennies

So, after having played the PC demo of Tomb Raider: Anniversary, I was really excited to start it when I got the PS3 Trilogy edition. It started off OK, but later on it became a huge freaking pain! What in the world are these sloppy controls?! I've glitched Lara through walls a few times, and glitched enemies into water more times than I can count! (The centaurs and mutants in the Sanctuary of the Scion level, to be precise. And yes, they do just kind of "fade away" after a time underwater, I've seen it happen.)

Furthermore, "Oooh, she doesn't control like a tank anymore, she has dynamic movement!" OK, fine, but you need tight controls for a platformer. Not glitchy ledges and freaking platforming segments based on luck! How did this get popular?! How?! That is why classic TR worked, it was accurate. Even TR6 was more accurate than TRA!

Man, screw this game! And a lot of other words that'd get me in trouble here!!!

Is it just my inexperience with the controls, or has anyone else experienced a similar sloppiness in TRA?

Last edited by LateRaider; 07-07-19 at 03:38.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 19:21   #2
Sandhurst5

Only once. In one of the Egypt levels (can't remember now), Lara would sometimes not grab a specific ledge and it took a number of attempts to finally make it.
Other than that, it was a silky smooth and consistent game in terms of player interaction and controls, in my experience.

It does take time to adjust to the controls if you've been throwing hours at the original series but when it's all done and dusted, you realise that Crystal's controls make sense too.
Not as precise but more elegant, besides they had to change them. Like all things inevitably move on.

This is coming from a fan who enjoys the Core games a touch more than Crystals.
Crystals games aren't bad, my main complaint would be that they're just a little too easy. Oh and the atmosphere is never quite as thick.
Sandhurst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 19:22   #3
Shirley_Manson

Oh yes more times than you can imagine, Lara would cling on to a ledge at a weird angle, shimmy on air, get stuck in falling or in some other animation, jump through poles and right under ledges that are clearly reachable, refuse to grapple things and all kinds of fidgety glitches.
Especially on Win7, for me.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 19:30   #4
Puna Junior

I kinda agree with you. I didn't have problems with the controls, but the gameplay. Crystal changed the rules completely. For example, in TR1 you could fight the T-Rex from a safe distance. But in Anniversary you had to go head to head. And I hated the Adrenaline Dodge. Why did they add that to the game? I never learned how to do that.

To sum it up, they destroyed Toby Gards creation.
Puna Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 19:50   #5
Ceamonks890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puna Junior View Post
I kinda agree with you. I didn't have problems with the controls, but the gameplay. Crystal changed the rules completely. For example, in TR1 you could fight the T-Rex from a safe distance. But in Anniversary you had to go head to head. And I hated the Adrenaline Dodge. Why did they add that to the game? I never learned how to do that.

To sum it up, they destroyed Toby Gards creation.
Can't really destroy what the very creator of the franchise himself approved, considering he was a story consultant during TR Anniversary's production and through Legend and Underworld, he even co-wrote the plot, oversaw Lara's visual redesign and overall character design, designed and implemented aspects of the character movement system and was even a cinematic, voice and motion capture director(according to Wikipedia.)

So in a way, the LAU trilogy could be seen as Gard's interpretation of how the franchise should have gone after the original game came out in '96. And while I'll still rank Core's games higher than Crystal's, I'd much rather play through the LAU trilogy once again, over having to put up with anything else related to the 2013 reboot continuity
Ceamonks890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 19:57   #6
Puna Junior

I know Toby approved on everything in the game. So basically he destroyed his own creation. Then Crystal destroyed the whole franchise with the reboot 2013.
Puna Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 20:44   #7
The1andOnlyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puna Junior View Post
I know Toby approved on everything in the game. So basically he destroyed his own creation. Then Crystal destroyed the whole franchise with the reboot 2013.
Oh God, not another one...
The1andOnlyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 21:40   #8
sackboy123

Anniversary is the best of the whole LAU Trilogy, Legend and Underworld shouldn't of happened -_-

After AOD and CD took over there should have just started on with TR2013
sackboy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 22:08   #9
peeves

TRA is my fav 7A8 trilogy game with 7 then 8. And 7A8 is better than the reboot IMO. After 7A8 CD shoulda taken notes from custom levels. TR's 1 through 8 including TRA were good but the reboot not so much. I'd rather play the games from parts 1 through 8 including TRA than the reboot.

Last edited by peeves; 28-02-15 at 22:09.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-15, 22:28   #10
LateRaider
Inactive

I have to admit, what really ruined my entire Tomb Raider: Anniversary experience was--well, you guys remember the final jump you have to make in the Great Pyramid level? The flying mutants kept knocking Lara down, and eventually off the platform. Then came the jump itself across the timed grapple rings, and Lara just did NOT want to jump onto the second ramp. There's no time to get a good swing going or even readjust the grapple's length.

I would be holding the Jump button the entire way, and she'd still not make it to the second ramp. Due to the timer, it has to be done all in one fluid jump... Meaning it felt like it was kind of up to luck if the grapple was at the right length when she threw it. And if I couldn't do it in one jump, it was basically load or intentionally kill Lara to get back to the fliers... and hope I don't get knocked off.

It was bad enough that I don't even want to look at Underworld right now.

Last edited by LateRaider; 28-02-15 at 22:30.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote