Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 11-02-14, 22:11   #11
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
They're both visually bland and devoid of atmosphere.
The thing is that when TR I came out, all 3D games had been like this (except for games like Resident Evil, but those games back then didn't use actual 3D rooms so it was easier to represent detailed environments) but when TRA came out, most games already had very detailed visuals and a thick atmosphere (even Legend was better at those things) so when compared to other games of the respective time, Core did a better job with TR I.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 23:19   #12
Valentino

I loved the bit where the cutscene of Lara sliding down the slop in Egypt and the cat mummies behind her. That was such a terrifying sound they made. But that area was so frickin pretty. Like looking up you can see the birds circling the sky and the blue sky and the rays of sun coming through the hold in the rocky area. Along with the Palm tree and egyptian statues
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 05:33   #13
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The thing is that when TR I came out, all 3D games had been like this (except for games like Resident Evil, but those games back then didn't use actual 3D rooms so it was easier to represent detailed environments) but when TRA came out, most games already had very detailed visuals and a thick atmosphere (even Legend was better at those things) so when compared to other games of the respective time, Core did a better job with TR I.
TRA was detailed. I'm not talking about how advanced or detailed the graphics were. I'm talking about the fact that the visuals looked lifeless, pale, grey/brown and washed out. (TR1 at least has a few levels that have some colour, though.)
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 06:40   #14
mizuno_suisei

Not to mention, surely I'm not the only one who liked Lara's model in this one? Especially the final scene on the boat after she stares at her hands then looks up slightly off camera and shows of a nice smile. Thought she was gorgeous in this game, even the strange attempt at the 'tr1 hairstyle' reference seemed to suit her rather well. An absolute shame there wasn't a Next Generation version like Legend with improved textures for the PC version although, TRL's NG content was a bit over the top :/ Kinda looked like Lara had rolled around in a bag of Doritos hehe
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 12:12   #15
peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I loved the bit where the cutscene of Lara sliding down the slop in Egypt and the cat mummies behind her. That was such a terrifying sound they made. But that area was so frickin pretty. Like looking up you can see the birds circling the sky and the blue sky and the rays of sun coming through the hold in the rocky area. Along with the Palm tree and egyptian statues
I liked that area how detailed it was i even liked the white sand areas.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 13:47   #16
Caesum

Quote:
TRA was detailed. I'm not talking about how advanced or detailed the graphics were. I'm talking about the fact that the visuals looked lifeless, pale, grey/brown and washed out. (TR1 at least has a few levels that have some colour, though.)
But TR1 back then was not able to produce anything more than that, because it couldn't use other than black and white lights. TRA had none of such limitations. If Crystal Dynamics wanted, they could have made the game just as lush and vibrant as TR 10th Anniversary Edition. They didn't though and that was their decision, not a necessity.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 15:43   #17
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
But TR1 back then was not able to produce anything more than that, because it couldn't use other than black and white lights. TRA had none of such limitations. If Crystal Dynamics wanted, they could have made the game just as lush and vibrant as TR 10th Anniversary Edition. They didn't though and that was their decision, not a necessity.
Yeah, I know. Doesn't change the fact that it makes TR1 look boring, technical limitations or not. I will agree that it's more of an offense in TRA's case, though. Either way, TR1 still has the superior gameplay.
Old 12-02-14, 19:14   #18
Wooxman

Quote:
All right, then I was mislead. Anyway, details can make a game less lifeless, even if it doesn't have vibrant colours. Mirror's Edge for example has mostly white environments but still looks kind of realistic and feels like a real city. But you're right, Crystal should definitely have used more colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
An absolute shame there wasn't a Next Generation version like Legend with improved textures for the PC version although, TRL's NG content was a bit over the top :/ Kinda looked like Lara had rolled around in a bag of Doritos hehe
The Xbox 360 / PS3 versions have high res textures, though they lack bump maps so still everything looks very flat.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 22:56   #19
Patrick star

Quote:
TR1 still has the superior gameplay.
TR1 was better than Anni in terms of exploration\platforming without a doubt but I have to say that Anni has the superior puzzles , they were really creative and have an artistic function behind them with a great use of the environments or the clues on the temples walls (especially Greece and Egypt) , now the puzzles in TR1 were mostly find the key for this door or pull this switch and see which doors opened and look for them , it's in TR4&5 were Core left their traditional style of puzzles and went for the creativity of puzzles .
to the OP , my favorite level is temple of Khamoon , and I appreciate the design of ST.Francis folly , loved all the puzzles but my favorite was the whole puzzle of controlling the water's level inside the Sphinx and every mini-puzzle surrounding it , my favorite cutscene is when Lara breaks into Natla's office and when she shoots the scion and throws Natla from the top of the pyramid .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 23:15   #20
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
All right, then I was mislead. Anyway, details can make a game less lifeless, even if it doesn't have vibrant colours. Mirror's Edge for example has mostly white environments but still looks kind of realistic and feels like a real city. But you're right, Crystal should definitely have used more colours.
Mirror's Edge uses very vibrant colours to contrast the white, though. And the vibrant blue sky and blue shadows also bring colour to the environment. It doesn't look washed-out, boring or lifeless at all. In fact, I'd call it one of the most aesthetically pleasing games of the last console generation.