Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 11-10-18, 21:44   #1
Steven888

Default Playing Original PS1 Tomb Raider Games

Does anyone know a way to play TR1-4 on a PS console with better graphics? My consoles are connected to my big 4k TV and the original games look absolutely terrible, with so much pixellation Watching walkthroughs on YouTube, the graphics look really crisp and clear. I don't have a PC.
Steven888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 22:02   #2
HarleyCroft

Are you using the PSone, 2 or 3?

I have the best luck with the PS2/3 and original red,yellow,white composite cords, making sure the screen is in the proper ratio. Other than that, here isn't much that can be done to the 90s console graphics without a PC to download upgrades
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 23:03   #3
Quebsenuef

Is it bad that I use a PS3 with HDMI cable on my 4KTV that upgrades whatever isn’t 4K to the closest 4K it can get and I play the old school TR games?
I find them fine, albeit pixelated.. but that’s just what I’ve grown to expect haha
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 23:48   #4
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven888 View Post
Does anyone know a way to play TR1-4 on a PS console with better graphics? My consoles are connected to my big 4k TV and the original games look absolutely terrible, with so much pixellation Watching walkthroughs on YouTube, the graphics look really crisp and clear. I don't have a PC.
Certainly they look pixliated, being from the PS1 era, and that only having a composite cable. (Though the PS one mini may use filters for these games like emulators), expect to have a pixelated view of these old games on the TV. For TR1-4, get them on PC whenever possible, or whenever you can get a PC, play it on an emulator, that's likely the walkthroughs you see on YouTube of them being crisp and clear. Not much you can do with PS one on an HD/4k TV to solve pixelated views, most HD upscalers are component only cables, which is used for the PS2 and the like.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 20:39   #5
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

You need an upscaler. This is the one I use to play the classics on PSOne

linky

Last edited by tlr online; 12-10-18 at 20:57. Reason: Removed referral data.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 20:46   #6
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
You need an upscaler. This is the one I use to play the classics on PSOne

linky
that still won't solve the pixelated problem. It doesn't apply any filers either.
don't go out buy something with no change. Whenever you get a PC play it on emulator.

Last edited by tlr online; 12-10-18 at 20:58. Reason: Removed referral data.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 21:03   #7
ShutUpReyes

If you're using a PS2 or PS3 definitely turn on the 'smoothing' option. I also change my TV setting so that the aspect ratio goes from 16:9 to 4:3. There's black bars at the sides of the screen but it gives you an unstretched, sharper image.
ShutUpReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 10:56   #8
_Seth

I don't think there's any way to play PS1 games on either PS1/2/3 without some serious pixelation. There might be some sort of "smoothing" options on PS2/3 but they don't do much; you're still going to have jagged edges galore. I personally settle for the PC versions, or you could emulate them.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 12:38   #9
klona
Golden

I honestly don't mind the pixellation.

Keep playing it and you'll get used to it after a level or two.
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 12:46   #10
Dustie

Keep in mind that people doing walkthroughs on Youtube often, if not always, use emulators. It's most likely you're watching footage from an emulator than from the actual hardware and that's the reason it looks much nicer. The other reason might simply be that video capture and encoding cause the image to lose sharpness and again appear easier on the eye. The original games are pixelated too, except CRTs never produce a sharp image and whatever they show has a degree of bluriness to it, that's why games originally played on CRT TVs look a bit nicer than on modern LCD displays.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote