Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 28-03-12, 06:10   #1
motoleo
Inactive

Default Why did Lara die at the end of this game?

I mean what was the reason the creators decided to do that?
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 08:23   #2
Bradley23170

So they could reboot her on the ps2.
Also when the main caracter of anything dies everyone gets emotional and therefore it's a great story
Bradley23170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 08:32   #3
CJ_84

There have been many theories behind this decision, some say Core Design got tired of being put under pressure to produce a new TR each year and eventually got sick of Lara, to be honest I believe it was just for the shock factor, the move from PS1 to next gen, a way of saying goodbye to the old Lara and bringing in something new, death in TR:TLR turned into AOD, then the death of Core.....
CJ_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 11:02   #4
motoleo
Inactive

I don't think they planned on making AoD when they killed Lara. I don't even think they meant to make Chronicles.

I had thought they meant for Last Revelation to be the last one.
Old 28-03-12, 11:16   #5
CJ_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
I don't think they planned on making AoD when they killed Lara. I don't even think they meant to make Chronicles.

You could be right, it's true the original series ran out of steam...but so long as the TR & LC name was making money at the time they kept em coming .

TR:C.....god that was a strange bit of filler, not the best way to end the TR:TLR storyline....then jump to AOD.
Old 28-03-12, 11:51   #6
motoleo
Inactive

I'm wondering about how they intended for the series to end.
Old 28-03-12, 12:14   #7
Greenapple968

I'm sure Lara didn't die at the end of TR4, otherwise she wouldn't have been in TR5, TR6 or any of the others after that.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 12:51   #8
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post

They were already looking at what they could do with the next gen Lara before they finished TR4, so it was pretty obvious Lara would be returning. Core Design were one of the first third party developers to get a development kit for the PS2. Core were not planning on making Chronicles, but knew they were making it before they finished TR4, since the PS2 game was not going to be ready till 2001. Core needed to release a money maker for 2000, while they were working on their PS2 titles. That is after all one of the excuses Core Design gave for not being able to get AOD finished on time, because a few of their team were working on TR5, before moving over to AOD. So all the work they had done with the prototype development kit had to be redone when Richard Morton realised the engine would not work with the final PS2 specs. They then thought they could have the PS2 game ready in 2001, which is why we got the Next Gen trailer stuff with TR5 when it came out. So instead of a PS2 Tomb Raider game being released in 2000, we got a PS1 game. Mind you other developers only had 12 months to make a launch title for the PS2 and they managed it. But Core were a bit slow with the new technology it seems. They never got a PS2 game released till 2001, and still the game they had been working the longest on was not ready. So the official release date Eidos gave us for AOD was Nov 2002, which Core STILL missed.

And they never killed Lara at the end of TR4 anyway, no one believed a mere fall would kill Lara, and she had been in plenty of Tombs to get out of that one. Core were just getting things ready for the big changes they were planning. Then they strung the wait out a bit by doing the early adventures for TR5, and giving the hint Lara had gotten out of the tomb.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 13:06   #9
CJ_84

I agree with the above, makes sense they would never kill Lara in '99 what with next gen & a movie in the works.
Still feel Lara never really did make it out that tomb in TR:TLR...not the Lara I loved
Old 28-03-12, 13:16   #10
peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I'm sure Lara didn't die at the end of TR4, otherwise she wouldn't have been in TR5, TR6 or any of the others after that.
Well if lara woulda died in TR4 she still woulda been in TR5 since they tell her past stories in that game but she wouldn't have been in TR6 had she died at the end of TR4 so she didn't die but core was being pressured alot with each year on year TR release and they couldn't take it so that's why they wanted to kill lara and got fired after TR6. It's so sad to see classic lara die after TR6.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote