Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 15-01-16, 07:48   #651
psiko

to answer your previous post partially, read this post of mine:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...postcount=4965

To answer your new question, I can tell that the most annoying framerate drop is caused primarly not by the amont of tile pages, but by too many static items inserted in the map, and by the many animatings/moving objects that are activated in the same moment.
In building fase, so, whenever you can, add some more detail in the textures used rather than too many polygons/vertices, and most of all, find a balance I find that a very well textured item even low poly, is much more satisfying to the eyes of the user/player, than a very highly detailed object with lots of vertices but poorly textured (especially if textured with one flat image). But we have limits in the uv infos (32K seems a lot but it's very easily reached), so, sooner or later, you have to texture the details with that flat texture all the same to avoid wrongly textured polygons in game. So, again, you need a balance
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-16, 11:50   #652
tomb2player

Ok, last question: what is worse when it come to FPS: amount of unique textures in one location ( or at screen at once ), or polygons,vertices or other geometry instance? I know that best way is to find balance between them, but out of curiosity.

So for example, what is better: Object with 1000 vertices and 800 polygons textured with 2 textures sized 10x10 pixels, or object with 100 vertices and 80 polygons textured with 100x100 ?
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 15:52   #653
tombraider1703

I bet this has been asked before in thsi thread but what are the best settings for meta for opening up the RoomAll.mqo?
When I open it the rooms are like really small
tombraider1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 20:03   #654
Mrshina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraider1703 View Post
I bet this has been asked before in thsi thread but what are the best settings for meta for opening up the RoomAll.mqo?
When I open it the rooms are like really small
for me is the best option to set grid interval to 1 size to 50 (max trle grid)

And even better option is to set the center of rotation on selected part (configuration, view)
Mrshina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 23:47   #655
rufierto

Ok, I have taken my first steps into meta2tr, opened up a level in meta, adjusted a wall, and exported the tr4 to see that it worked..., now the questions. It is my understanding that once you have used meta on a level, you cannot open it again in the editor to add, objects for collision and such. Can those collision objects be made, textured and added in meta, or how is this done exactly??
EDIT: Those questions have been answered, but now I have a new one.
On this page, http://treditor.hu/7/gmac/nglemanual2/ngle135x.html
there is a tutorial about texturing odd shapes. The line
"I'll fix that unsightly distorted side texture first. Select the side surface and cut it to a new layer." , what does cut it to a new layer mean, I cannot get this to work? Could someone please help. Does this work on meta 3.1 or do I need a newer version.

I love the lighting options in this, the Pacific will have some better lighting now!!

Last edited by rufierto; 04-08-16 at 04:14.
rufierto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-16, 22:47   #656
Zreen001

Which version of meta is best suited to work with meta2tr?
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-16, 07:11   #657
HeinzFritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufierto View Post
"I'll fix that unsightly distorted side texture first. Select the side surface and cut it to a new layer." , what does cut it to a new layer mean, I cannot get this to work? Could someone please help. Does this work on meta 3.1 or do I need a newer version.
:
It is quite simple: You select the object's faces that you want, you cut them and paste them. This way the pasted shape becomes a separate new object which you may see in the objects panel named something like "object 1". To texture it, select it in the object panel assign a material to it from the texture panel, unwrap it on the texture and adjust the unwrapp lines on the texture by moving, rotating or scaling so that it all looks on the shape as you want it.
When finished, you can merge this layer back to the shape it was cut from.
Merging two objects is easily done by leaving only those two objects visible, selecting in the objects panel the original object and clicking on "merge visible". If you want to reduce the vertex count, you may select the merged object and give it the "join closed vertices" command.
The version 3.1 is, as far as I know, working OK, at least the full version is.
HeinzFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 11:05   #658
New Dwight
Inactive

I have been having a lingering issue with some objects being imported through meta2tr.

There are two scenarios:

1. Importing an object (specifically my axe) a random polygon stretches occurs from one object -->> linking to the axe. I read about this "random polygon stretch" somewhere stating: that's the way of the engine indicating it doesn't like that object...

2. The level will load, but crash after taking a step forward or going into the inventory. (Most frustrating)

The level is perfect without importing through meta2tr, but as soon as I start using meta2tr, this happens.

Also, I after I editing my rooms in RoomsandFloor and reimported it, I got the dreaded "invisible Lara" bug.

Anyone else experienced these similar problems? Anyway to fix this? It doesn't help when meta2tr doesn't give any errors while importing the object, and TRNG giving none related crash reports making it more frustrating.

It'll take a good working level and make it none-working.

Also, I always make sure I don't go over 32767 unique textures. But some levels (Raithwall/Westersand especially) come close to hitting over the limit. They end at a total of 32557 textures. I wouldn't think pushing limits would be a factor here.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-16, 16:17   #659
VictorXD

Guys I need your beautiful knowledge.

I'm making a level where I want to use all (or near enough) textures at 256x256 dimension. So it's around 55 256p textures already. Needless to say I reached over the limit of TRNG, so now the level no longer outputs its WAD.

I now know that if I only texture the parts that need whole textures and leaving the sectors that need breaking up untouched/with a random texture I might just have a chance to bypass TRNG's limits and properly texture the rest in meta.

But my question is: is this a viable way to do it? Or is it too much?

Keep in mind that is is not a big level but it has quite a few flipped rooms.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 14:18   #660
psiko

you can bypass easily tom2pc limits, with meta2tr.
You can texture whole level with just one texture of 256x256, and use meta2tr to have up untill 1000 textures of 256x256.
Actually we can have even 2000 tiles, but over 1200 or 1300, trng does not render anymore the items using those. And above 1024 tiles, some computers have random crashes. So, do not go over 999. My suggestion is to keep your thirst for new tiles below 980 which is a very HIGH amont of textures... I reached few times this limit, and in game there's no problem.
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote