Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 15-09-17, 21:51   #11
Danath

Yeah, it's what you said before. I will continue building and then later i will think about what can i do to reduce room count, like for example joining two rooms into one where it fits with the design.

I always find it very difficult to "think in blocks", i have a picture on my mind of what i want but i find really hard to put that "on paper". Also i'm not one to plan too much, i improvise.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 19:33   #12
DJ Full

If you keep evolving in this tempo, you'll be a master in no time.
I have your first level bookmarked to play as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
dividing that tall room into 2 means also dividing all the rooms on the same plane into 2... Well, i suppose i will need to shorten the level if i get too many rooms.
...and it's worth it if it makes it more interesting. You can make it so it helps.
Like in Ice Palace, a lot of impression was caused by unexpected return to Talion.

Last edited by DJ Full; 21-09-17 at 19:35.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 19:50   #13
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
If you keep evolving in this tempo, you'll be a master in no time.
I have your first level bookmarked to play as soon as I can.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy playing my first level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
it's worth it if it makes it more interesting. You can make it so it helps.
Like in Ice Palace, a lot of impression was caused by unexpected return to Talion.
Yeah sure is more interesting. Expect a LOT of jumping around.

I've been very slow building lately as i've been in a "lack of motivation/energy" phase. I worry a lot about gameplay and making it interesting enough, sometimes i don't have enough confidence in general and question everything i do.
The scenario is planned on my mind but translating it to single rooms is always a challenge. Changing room size is a pain because you have to delete all portals on that room and the adjacent ones that connect with it before, and then create them again.
Old 22-09-17, 17:55   #14
Danath

Question

I have a problem now with drawbridge object. When they are activated with a trigger a weird light appears next to them, like they have an effect attached to activation:

I haven't placed any lights in that room, what could cause this to happen?
Maybe it's because i'm using the Floating.TR2 base file? But if i use another base file and add the spear/sword guardians will they have sound?

Edit: I have tried using the Opera House base file that has that wooden drawbridge, but the same happens. When activated, a light that is approximately 3 sectors wide appears in the opposite direction where the bridge is placed. I also checked the animations of the bridge on TRViewer, but i only see a command for playing the sound and nothing else.

Last edited by Danath; 22-09-17 at 21:50. Reason: trying things
Old 23-09-17, 04:04   #15
Feder

You're right! I just tested it with the original Opera House file and the mysterious light appears The only quick solution I can think of is putting a light object exactly in that spot so the player wouldn't notice the sudden change of light, but I have no idea why it happens.
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 18:09   #16
Danath

Talking

Hey Feder, thank you for testing it. I suppose i will do as you say and try to cover the effect with the room's lighting.

Nice to see i'm not the only one with that problem, i'm a magnet for weird software errors.

On other news, i have spent some time creating a kickass title screen for the level:

I think i have to better adjust the size of the green letters though, they look a bit blurry.
Old 28-09-17, 17:13   #17
Danath

Unhappy

I hate to say this now, but this isn't working well.

I wanted the level to be BIG horizontally, but i didn't take into account the engine limitations with view distance. When i apply the horizon ( no texture ) to the outer walls of the level, this happens:

You can see that terrible black square where the horizon is, when you are a certain distance away. It looks awful. If i go further away then the square covers all of the distant wall, at that shot it's covering half of it.
Even if you aren't going to look back, the same will happen only looking ahead because the level is very wide. How wide? Take a look:

Almost all the available space on the grid. The idea was to make it bigger in the x axis than the z axis, but the problem with the horizon kills the inmersion.

That mess of rooms you see above is a ludicrous 73. As i said earlier it is just a test to see how i need to divide the rooms vertically, so it can be reduced, joining every 2 horizontally into a single bigger one. Giving a quick estimation i can reduce the count down at least 15 doing that.

So... i'm almost ready to dump this project. I cannot make it the way i want it to be without those awful borders showing up and i wouldn't like the result. Sorry for hyping it up for nothing, it's why i was hesitant to start the thread.

Edit: What do you think? Should i try to complete it even with the border problems or should i abandon it? Maybe i could try it in the future with the TR4 engine and the new TombEditor.

Last edited by Danath; 28-09-17 at 20:24. Reason: question
Old 28-09-17, 20:49   #18
Titak

Not sure if this will work with the TR2 engine, but what if you also apply that "no texture" to the portals between all those rooms. Assuming there's such a thing as "toggle-opacity" available...

It is a trick that can be used with the TRLE and the TR4 engine, where you apply the black "texture" from the colour palette to toggle-opacity (walkthrough) portals. It avoids that effect.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 12:29   #19
thewolf
Golden

Maybe you could try adding small closed areas to avoid the huge distance from room to room. Not sure how they did it in floating islands.
Edit: I would finish it. After all the hours I put in my current project I could never cancel it. I believe in you

Last edited by thewolf; 29-09-17 at 12:33.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 12:37   #20
Dustie

In TR2 you can clearly see the tiles in the furthest distance being cut off, which is even more obvious thanks to that "ring of mist" on the horizon.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote