Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 29-09-17, 18:47   #21
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Not sure if this will work with the TR2 engine, but what if you also apply that "no texture" to the portals between all those rooms. Assuming there's such a thing as "toggle-opacity" available...
I have tried doing that, applying no texture and also magenta transparent, but then the room that is behind doesn't render, it renders the horizon instead. :\ If i use it at the point where the black border appears then you can't see the rooms behind you. Thanks for the help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Maybe you could try adding small closed areas to avoid the huge distance from room to room. Not sure how they did it in floating islands.
Edit: I would finish it. After all the hours I put in my current project I could never cancel it. I believe in you
That's actually a great idea, but only if it was less wide, and it would change my level concept, i want it to be wide and open with some interior zones. At the eastern part there is currently a floating island with a cave.
Thanks.

I would like to hear more opinions. Would you as a player mind seeing that effect, even if the level is good?
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 18:55   #22
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I hate to say this now, but this isn't working well.

I wanted the level to be BIG horizontally, but i didn't take into account the engine limitations with view distance. When i apply the horizon ( no texture ) to the outer walls of the level, this happens:

In my opinion, that wouldn't bother me at all.

Is the back wall in the picture intended to be horizon or solid wall? For some reason, I couldn't figure out from your description. Could you explain?
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 19:09   #23
thewolf
Golden

Quote:
I would like to hear more opinions. Would you as a player mind seeing that effect, even if the level is good?

Your level is called Mystic Realm....... I mean anything can happen there and be
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 19:37   #24
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
In my opinion, that wouldn't bother me at all.

Is the back wall in the picture intended to be horizon or solid wall? For some reason, I couldn't figure out from your description. Could you explain?
You're supposed to see the horizon, but you see that black "wall" instead because it's far. If you get closer, the horizon reappears. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Your level is called Mystic Realm....... I mean anything can happen there and be
Well, that's one way to see it.
Old 29-09-17, 20:01   #25
Opaque79

Quote:
You're supposed to see the horizon, but you see that black "wall" instead because it's far. If you get closer, the horizon reappears. :\
OK. But as I said, that effect wouldn't bother me personally.

Not sure about others though.
Old 29-09-17, 21:57   #26
Danath

Me and my crazy ideas. Always going to the limit.

I would like to hear more opinions before i do something drastic.
Old 30-09-17, 00:50   #27
Feder

What a problem TR2 limitations always making things so frustrating ! I have an opinion, if I might suggest, it's kind of drastic and may not be the best but you could try it: remove the horizon. The entire sky would be black but uniform. In Opera House there is no horizon, and I think none of us had a problem with that. Of course it is very different when it comes to a totally outdoor level, but at least you'll not see giant squares blinking on the distance. Don't give up Danath! You'll find a way

EDIT: also you could texture the sky manually so it doesn't look so empty, like in Return To Egypt and Temple Of The Cat

Last edited by Feder; 30-09-17 at 03:06.
Feder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-17, 18:05   #28
Danath

I have played the original level and you know what? That black border problem isn't happening there, even with the massive map scale! And another thing, the sky looks black in the original but in my map is greyish!
I used TR2PRJ to turn the .TR2 into a project file and looked at the 2D map with TRLE. At the distances i'm seeing the black wall, in the original level there is even more distance to the horizon and it doesn't happen! Crazy.

It seems to me that black horizon problem is related to how Dxtre compiles the levels and not something inherent to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
I have an opinion, if I might suggest, it's kind of drastic and may not be the best but you could try it: remove the horizon. The entire sky would be black but uniform.
also you could texture the sky manually so it doesn't look so empty, like in Return To Egypt and Temple Of The Cat
Nah, it's not ideal. With the first option it would look bland af , and with the second it would be too obvious where the walls are, the idea is having the illusion of not seeing borders. Thank you for the help anyway.

You know what? Screw it, i'm going to continue and try to complete the map, black horizons or not. I don't want to throw this having spent so many hours, i'll have to live with the problem. I want to see this completed.

PD: Official soundtrack for building this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-QD_HIfjA

Last edited by Danath; 30-09-17 at 18:07.
Old 30-09-17, 18:08   #29
Opaque79

Good choice. I think you can make this a great level like your last one. Good luck.
Old 30-09-17, 18:31   #30
MBog

Can you post the 2d map of this level?
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote