www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 22-11-17, 00:44   #17101
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Let me know when you find it out!
Old 22-11-17, 09:05   #17102
Boobandie
Professor

There's a little bit about the waving geometry effect here. It deals with the 'break' in the waves you can sometimes get when creating a multi-room water surface.

EDIT: Are the boxes objects? I just noticed the seam between them. The waving effect can be triggered when the wall above or below the water surface (and probably flip drained rooms) isn't textured.

Furthermore...

Quote:
2.3. Prevent Waves

Since we now know how to create waves, the next question is: How do you remove them again? Okay, if you want no waves, you can also simply set the value to 1. But there are various situations in which you wants to waves, but not everywhere. One problem are waves on the ground next to the water. This can happen when the water surface is not rectangular in shape, but irregular. If you then create a door over the entire area, there are also squares in, where is no water. These then also have waves. The solution is, that you just not create, one big door, but several small, which include only the areas where actually water is. Where no Door is there are also no waves.

But sometimes you want to have no waves in certain areas of the water. Then you can avoid this with a simple trick. You simply texturize the bottom. Who has done this before accidentally, did then maybe frustrated found out, that the water surface is not moving and wondered why. The “Why” is probably remain a mystery, but you can use this fact to your advantage. If the floor on the banks wobbles, or if the water form gaps, or simply if you want some quiet water areas, you can prevent the wave movements on certain squares. To do this go into the water room and choose the door from the ceiling and activate Toggle Opacity 2. Where there should be no waves, apply a transparent texture from the texture panel. The remaining areas can texturize the gray transparent color from the color palette. This does not prevent the waves.

Last edited by Boobandie; 22-11-17 at 09:12.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-17, 20:37   #17103
Dustie
Relic Hunter

^ Very interesting info, thanks for posting! It doesn't provide an answer to the issue, although it does provide a partial explanation with the mention of doors to water rooms covering ground areas.

Curious Core Design Fact: the reason builders are using the No Lensflare flag for making waves on doors connecting to air rooms is because that flag was used to mark quicksand in TR3. Winroomedit has leftover code which still marks faces with animating vertex properties when the NL option is used.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-17, 22:08   #17104
Joey79100
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Curious Core Design Fact: the reason builders are using the No Lensflare flag for making waves on doors connecting to air rooms is because that flag was used to mark quicksand in TR3. Winroomedit has leftover code which still marks faces with animating vertex properties when the NL option is used.
So that was that! I had a room in the past where the floor had this exact problem, it was waving and I couldn't understand why it did that. I think I even saw that it was related to the NL button, but it made no sense. Now it does.
Old 26-11-17, 14:18   #17105
TombGuardian
Archaeologist

How do I create animations? Both for cutscenes / objects?
TombGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 17:36   #17106
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Ah this is so annoying. All my Tomb4. on my PC aren't appearing on my screen. I can open it, and hear the game, but I can't see the window anywhere. I can change it to full screen and it works, but I need it in windowed mode. It just stopped appearing earlier. Any ideas how to get it back? I've restarted my PC a couple of times.
Old 26-11-17, 17:57   #17107
Joey79100
Archaeologist

It probably just went out of the screen boundaries.
Open the registry editor (Win+R, then type regedit and valid), browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Core Design > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Game. There are two values for the window's position: WindowX and WindowY. If the values are bigger than your screen resolution then it's the problem. To solve this just double-click on both entries and enter 0 instead of what was before and valid. Now, next time you'll launch the game it will be back at the top left corner of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombGuardian View Post
How do I create animations? Both for cutscenes / objects?
What do you want to do exactly?
Basically, everything will eventually land into WADMerger's Animation Editor. But you can make animations with other software like 3DS Max for FragMotion for example. There are tutorials in the Tutorial section of the forum.

Last edited by Joey79100; 26-11-17 at 17:58.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 17:59   #17108
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

^^^

You are a star! Problem solved. Thanks
Old 26-11-17, 18:02   #17109
TombGuardian
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post

What do you want to do exactly?
Basically, everything will eventually land into WADMerger's Animation Editor. But you can make animations with other software like 3DS Max for FragMotion for example. There are tutorials in the Tutorial section of the forum.
Cutscenes / Animations like Crowbars or Doors, swim, fall, climbing ladder
Is it hard / complex? Which is easier to use? The easier one makes slightly worse animations?
TombGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 18:18   #17110
Joey79100
Archaeologist

WADMerger's Animation Editor is the most straight forward way to make animations, as you're working directly with the WAD and can see the structure of the anims, copy-paste frames or whole animations, etc. But when you want to make more complex animations it quickly becomes easier to make the animation in an external software and import it back afterwards, because WADMerger is quite limited.
You can make animations frame-by-frame, by editing the poses each time, it can also make interpolation between two frames (using Animation Wizard) so you can make just the main poses and not bother too much with what happens between them, but it is linear interpolation, meaning the speed of the movement is constant so you have to fiddle with the animation to make it smooth if you don't want it to look robotic (this is usually not a problem with objects though). And you can animate only one object at the same time.
Using external software like 3DS Max (that you can get for free with an educational license), there are much more features that make it much easier to achieve what you want to achieve without having to focus too much on things like interpolation. It allows you to move poses in time whenever you need because you work with keys instead of frames, the interpolation is always automatic (and it's not linear interpolation but something much smoother (unless you need something else)), it can lock position and/or orientation of meshes in some location so you can edit a pose quite easily, you can animate several objects at the same time and lock them with other objects (useful if you make someone hold an object for example), it can rescale an animation with a few clicks, it has orthographic views... and lots of things it can do but I'm not even using so I can't talk about them. The main drawback is that you always have to import/export anims, but I think it's worth the hassle.