Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 09-09-17, 23:50   #1
Danath

Talking TR2: Mystic Realm

Hello all! It's time for me to build again.

I have begun building my next TR2 level this week, and i'm ready to show what i've been cooking:

Hope you like platforming, because yes, it's a Floating Islands map! I've been sad for a long time at the lack of maps with this theme, and i thought "why not take matters into my own hands and make my own?". I was already thinking of this while making Lost Temple of the Pyrenees. It makes me excited to build something like this, i love this part of TR2.

I hope i'm able to pull this off, what i'm showing has been tricky to build already, it's going to be almost all exterior areas. What i can say is that i will certainly try my best to complete it.
The great thing is that i don't feel pressured, like i felt when i was making my first map and needed to prove to myself and others that i could do it.

This is the beginning inside the mini-temple:

Notice the lack of pistols. You begin the map without nothing in your inventory and have to locate the pistols and some health supplies. The reasoning is that Lara has been somehow teleported to this strange place and needs to find a way out.
And this is how the inventory screen and the font look now:

I have been trying script things such as the empty inventory and also how to make the game end when Lara falls to a certain altitude ( number of blocks ). I got it to work so i can implement it on this, yay.

Hope you like this so far!

Update: Level is available now on trle.net: http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=3011

Last edited by Danath; 07-12-17 at 17:59.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 00:07   #2
Opaque79

The first screenshot alone caught my attention.

I think it's looking great already. The Floating Islands theme is a great idea as I only found 2 levels in that style. I also like the story behind Lara being unarmed here.

Great work and good luck.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 00:53   #3
SrDanielPonces

ooooo finally some floating isladds level djsjddnsjjsjkdoddndjdiejfdjnfdkfbdkdfndkodjsnfksjf idndkssojfndksfjnsfirubtieuwbdkfsorhwifisknsjfisnd jdjsjfjdnskd
I am so hapey
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 14:00   #4
Titak

Floating Islands.
I've always liked that level, and yes, too bad there aren't many Floating Islands type levels out there.

Having made one myself, I remember how difficult and odd it was to build it.
It was kinda like building a level "inside out", if that makes sense.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 15:27   #5
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
The first screenshot alone caught my attention.
I think it's looking great already.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
ooooo finally some floating isladds level djsjddnsjjsjkdoddndjdiejfdjnfdkfbdkdfndkodjsnfksjf idndkssojfndksfjnsfirubtieuwbdkfsorhwifisknsjfisnd jdjsjfjdnskd
I am so hapey
I suppose that you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
I remember how difficult and odd it was to build it.
Yes, that's it! Inside out. Looking at the small area i made:

You have to make rooms sorrounding everything in all directions. The magenta squares are the portals between them. Then at the borders you apply "texture 0" and it gives the illusion of a flying scenery with the horizon.
Old 11-09-17, 12:47   #6
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post

That's precisely how it is. A lot of early decisions determine how the level can be carried out, mainly due to how much stacking is involved. Stacked rooms which are connected to other stacked rooms can't really be moved up and down freely, because you can't have more than 1 vertical door in the same "line"... if this makes any sense; it's rather hard do explain.

I have 1 level like this in plans, but for the reason above I will have to plan it out carefully before I start building it.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 17:52   #7
NoahCrofRaider

A Floating Islands level? Awesome! Floating Islands needs more love, so naturally I'm really excited for this.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 22:08   #8
Danath

I hope i'm able to meet expectations. I have various things planned for it, now i have to think of a neat way of connecting everything.
Old 15-09-17, 20:55   #9
Danath

Unhappy

Now i'm running into the problem Dustie said earlier. I thought you could connect 2 smaller rooms with a bigger one, like this:

But it causes transparency problems. That makes me worried about the amount of rooms i will need to use, because everything is connected with everything, and dividing that tall room into 2 means also dividing all the rooms on the same plane into 2... Well, i suppose i will need to shorten the level if i get too many rooms.
Old 15-09-17, 20:58   #10
Dustie

if you want to connect those 2 stacked rooms to the same wall of the room next to them, then it's not possible, because in each "column" on the wall there can only be 1 door to 1 room... So you need to divide the other room and make it stacked also if you want to make a connection. That's why these levels need a bit of planning beforehand to decide how tall the planes should be across areas.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote