Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-11-17, 16:27   #121
Titak

The dark blue looks beter than the grey.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 17:16   #122
Danath

Thanks, i will keep it this way.

Edit: One question has arisen when beginning to light the level. Should i bother placing light bulbs in rooms you aren't going to traverse? Such as the bottom ones where you die without touching the floor. Or the ones in mid-air but you aren't supposed to go there as there's nothing but empty space and connections between places.

Last edited by Danath; 10-11-17 at 19:03. Reason: question
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 02:23   #123
Danath

Unhappy

Just when i thought nothing could destroy this project...
Too many textures.

I have already deleted all objects that i'm not going to use, reduced the tga to just the minimum i need and also used the Fexmerger trick Feder discovered to reduce the textures. It's not working.

I feel like garbage now. After all this work to make the map space and gameplay work, now this comes to an end because of that. Sorry... i tried.
Old 11-11-17, 04:34   #124
thewolf
Golden

I know how you feel . I reached the limit multiple times now. Deleted all of the objects I'm not using. Even some I would like to use (weapons, ammo, Lara weapon animation ).One last thing you could try: Don't know how much weapons you will use, but reduce them. I will have only 3 weapons and maybe 2. I'm close to the limit again. Have you deleted the animation for the weapons you are not using? When you reached the limit and are only slightly above go to Config in the menu where you can open /save /save as. .... . After you click Config a small window will open. Set a mark next to the compile unused textures after building. Now when you build your level the toptimize programm, will delete and optimize your textures. Level should be playable after this. Depends on how far you are away from the limit . This could be your last hope. Or you delete the sword guy. They take many textures. Good luck
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 17:48   #125
Danath

I have managed to make it work again, thankfully. I used the same texture on small corners and edges and i reduced up to 50! or so the count without changing the geometry. I didn't think it would reduce it that much so i panicked yesterday...
Right now i'm about 30% done with texturing, i hope it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
One last thing you could try: Don't know how much weapons you will use, but reduce them. I will have only 3 weapons and maybe 2.
Have you deleted the animation for the weapons you are not using?
Set a mark next to the compile unused textures after building.
Or you delete the sword guy. They take many textures.
Yes, i am only using 3 weapons counting the pistols. Also deleted the animations for them and i always check the optimize textures on compilation option.
Deleting the sword guy i suppose would help a lot because it needs 2 objects: the enemy itself and the statue. But it would make the gameplay much worse, hope i don't have to.

Quote:
Good luck
Thanks, if you believe in a god/dess better start praying.

Edit: I think i now know how to calculate if you are at the limit or not.
Right now my base level when loaded in PixStr shows there is 1561 textures. And when compiling Dxtre3D shows there are 440 tex id's for the rooms. So if you add those 2 numbers the result is 2001, and it doesn't crash. When it was crashing yesterday the tex id's on Dxtre were 480+, so when adding it to the 1561 from PixStr the result was more than 2048, the number Feder said in his tutorial as being the max. It matches.

Last edited by Danath; 11-11-17 at 18:43. Reason: update
Old 11-11-17, 22:47   #126
Danath

Unhappy

Sorry for the double post, but the level is not going to be finished.

I tried to have as low texture count as possible, but it doesn't work. The only way at this point would be to delete one of the guardians, but it would compromise my vision too much and i'm choosing not to do that, hope you understand. It's ridiculous how much you have to delete from the base.

Sorry to dissappoint. I have tried as hard as possible, but at this point i'm too tired of this project.

I hate leaving something unfinished but i'm unable to do this. Maybe in the future if the enemies are ported to the TR4 engine i could port this over and use Tomb Editor.

Probably this is the last time i'm using the TR2 engine, it limits me so much. Don't know yet.

Edit: If someone wants to try the map, even with placeholder texturing, send me a PM. That way i could gather opinion/s about it.

Last edited by Danath; 11-11-17 at 22:57.
Old 12-11-17, 00:49   #127
SrDanielPonces

You can do this, sweetheart

whether being TR2 engine or a faked one (in TR4 engine), I'm sure you're going to slay those players !!!!
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 12:24   #128
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I tried to have as low texture count as possible, but it doesn't work. The only way at this point would be to delete one of the guardians, .
Your problem is that you have reached your limit on the data file, and might be solved by reducing the meshes on your extra type of guardian.

I had this problem with my 2017 Christmas video which I have made for Christmas, and this complex character below had far too many meshes and that was enough to crash the level, so I solved it by reducing the meshes on her back.

I wonder if I could put your guardian back in by reducing the meshes on it. I can make any shape of character using PixStr and 3D meta.

If you want, you could PM me and send me two versions of your level in .tr2 format, one being the level that works without the guardian, and the other the level that does not work with the extra type of guardian put in locations within the game, I will see what I can do trying to get it back in the game

I do not want to see all your work wasted, by not finishing this game, so it would be worth a shot at trying to get it working.

Cheers Chi

Last edited by The Great Chi; 12-11-17 at 14:06.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 17:37   #129
thewolf
Golden

I can take a look over this after I'm finished with my levelset My first level is close to 100% completed, only the lighting is left and a short test run after this.

Edit: I'm having the same problems with the texture limit. To avoid it I only rotate and mirror the textures on some places. I would like to do this on more ,but it's not possible

Last edited by thewolf; 12-11-17 at 17:41.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 18:04   #130
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
You can do this, sweetheart

whether being TR2 engine or a faked one (in TR4 engine), I'm sure you're going to slay those players !!!!
Thank you Daniel. Did you try the other level i made, by any chance? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Your problem is that you have reached your limit on the data file, and might be solved by reducing the meshes on your extra type of guardian.

I had this problem with my 2017 Christmas video which I have made for Christmas, and this complex character below had far too many meshes and that was enough to crash the level, so I solved it by reducing the meshes on her back.

I wonder if I could put your guardian back in by reducing the meshes on it. I can make any shape of character using PixStr and 3D meta.

If you want, you could PM me and send me two versions of your level in .tr2 format, one being the level that works without the guardian, and the other the level that does not work with the extra type of guardian put in locations within the game, I will see what I can do trying to get it back in the game

I do not want to see all your work wasted, by not finishing this game, so it would be worth a shot at trying to get it working.

Cheers Chi
Thanks a lot Chi, i will upload the 2 versions to my GDrive and send you a link now. I hope you can find something. The one i have deleted from the level is the spear guardian, as i think it has more detail than the other, particularly on the shoulders. It also has more animations.

That image you have there is funny, that bear is so cute.

Quote:
I can take a look over this after I'm finished with my levelset My first level is close to 100% completed, only the lighting is left and a short test run after this.
Thank you for the offer.

Quote:
Edit: I'm having the same problems with the texture limit. To avoid it I only rotate and mirror the textures on some places. I would like to do this on more ,but it's not possible
It's so frustrating, isn't it? I wonder if Dxtre has some flaws that cause all these problems with textures. For example i don't understand why rotated textures ( which is what i'm doing ) make the count go up, it's awful.

Also thewolf, be careful with the floating map you are making, because there's a "Lara misc animations" that needs to be included if you use the spear guardian, it has the special "impale" death for it.

Last edited by Danath; 12-11-17 at 18:07.