Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-10-18, 00:28   #1
Chamayoo

Default Analysing the current trends in video games to predict TR future

What I see today in video games world :
- Open world games are successful and well received (GTA, The Witcher 3, Zelda BotW, the last Assassin's Creed games)
- Movie like cutscenes still seem to be a thing. I'm sure The Last of Us Part II will maintain this
- No more Uncharted games. Now Tomb Raider will move on from that (yay)
- Successful remastered retro games : Crash Bandicoot and most probably Spyro. I don't forget Sonic Mania and the fact Resident Evil and Devil May Cry return to their roots, maybe there is a window for a Classic-style TR game to be something in the market again
- There is a window for hardcore gamer in the industry today. For example, Dark Souls and its fandom

Often we keep saying the next game will be as new as TR'13 was at its time. Although I don't believe about action, survivalism, bombastic gunfights will return. I think the next game/era will have to be distinct to the previous one.

I can see TR keeping the same universe as the Survivor Era (mostly story wise) but being Open World and have a more classic approach in gameplay. I believe the story will be as cinematic and dramatic but won't affect the gameplay as before, I think there is a general fatigue about that.
The game would be as accessible as before for casual gamers, as all the incredible efforts for them will keep going (vocal hints, marked path and an equivalent to survival instinct) but not forgetting the experienced players like Shadow "almost" did and even improve that.

Now I know the majority will say a big "NOPE" for TR to become open world. I'm even not sure about that. If it means even more useless collectibles, boring big lands to cross and uninteresting side quests, I will join you.
But if done right, Tomb Raider could benefit from open world and even more importantly... open world could benefit from Tomb Raider. Here's why Tomb Raider need to be truer more than ever to its roots, to be distinctive from the market :

- Hubs and levels would not be obliged to disappear. A level/hub could be a distinctive region on the map and could be accessible with a specific object (like Zelda or Metroid, or some important keys like old TR). So the focus on level design, memorable places and storytelling would not be lost, not necessarily. The new twist for TR here, is you can access of a level in the order you want. Something we didn't really see since TR3.
- Tomb Raider should embrace the Assassin's Creed style of "everything that look climbable is climbable" and not the Breath of the Wild style of "I can climb everything without thinking". The Tomb Raider twist here is to find a way to reach a place, no open world games in my thinking ever did that. You should explore, Lara's various platforming abilities to reach the next area.
- Vehicles to come back. Oh and why not use them to reach an area not accessible at walk ?
- Zelda did Sanctuaries. Reboot TR did optional tombs. I don't want 120 tiny tombs that will end in 10 minutes, but why not at least 20 big tombs in the map ?
- Multiple little puzzles in the map, just some quick ones for interesting treasures

What do you think the next game will be in the future ?
What do you feel about all of this ?

Last edited by Chamayoo; 13-10-18 at 00:41.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 00:30   #2
veigafd

I just want the trend of remaking ps1 classics to reach our beloved franchise.
Just Imagine, Spyro, Crash, RE2 and then TR.
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 00:31   #3
2001LC20
Inactive

Also add Dark Souls! But i doubt anything will come from that lol.
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 00:36   #4
veigafd

Open world doesn't seem to fit TR at my eyes, but it could be fun if done right.
My perfect hub size would be something like arkham games, the game has a lot to do, each collectible has a puzzle for you to solve and get it. That's how TR should be for me.
My favorite moments from the reboot era is when I've found some secret tomb (it could be way better if the hud didn't spoiled it to me. And shadow was the one who make me happy the most in this aspect.
Old 13-10-18, 00:37   #5
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
You have a point ! Could be a good argument on Tomb Raider to be demanding again
Old 13-10-18, 00:38   #6
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
Dark souls basically has well designed interconnected hubs that you may visit several times, as well as a great variety of enemies each one with it's unique way to defeat. Both would go very well with the next tomb raider.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 00:38   #7
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
I just want the trend of remaking ps1 classics to reach our beloved franchise.
Just Imagine, Spyro, Crash, RE2 and then TR.
Just perfect for the 25th anniversary and a good way to wait the next big game after !
Old 13-10-18, 00:44   #8
veigafd

I was talking to someone another day about a remastered version and how it is a hard work for the developers to do in the gameplay department. Calculate jumps doesn't seem to be "gamers preference" nowadays. Just like that trend of "Crash Souls". In grpahics department I know we could have a amazing job, but my curiosity is about how they would do the control scheme for remakes.
I thought about using the camera analog to control Lara's vision and the roll button animation should be changed by a quick turn like Joel do in TLOU. But that's if they decide to do tank controls again. Or the game could have a RE remake treatment, where you could control the characters with the analog.
But TR feels more tank'd than RE in this aspect cause in TR you need to do precise jumps.

Last edited by veigafd; 13-10-18 at 00:45.
Old 13-10-18, 00:46   #9
2001LC20
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
You have a point ! Could be a good argument on Tomb Raider to be demanding again
Yes please! I am kinda getting sick of all the three because of easiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Dark souls basically has well designed interconnected hubs that you may visit several times, as well as a great variety of enemies each one with it's unique way to defeat. Both would go very well with the next tomb raider.
That could be an inspiration. Hopefully.
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 00:52   #10
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
I was talking to someone another day about a remastered version and how it is a hard work for the developers to do in the gameplay department. Calculate jumps doesn't seem to be "gamers preference" nowadays. Just like that trend of "Crash Souls". In grpahics department I know we could have a amazing job, but my curiosity is about how they would do the control scheme for remakes.
I thought about using the camera analog to control Lara's vision and the roll button animation should be changed by a quick turn like Joel do in TLOU. But that's if they decide to do tank controls again. Or the game could have a RE remake treatment, where you could control the characters with the analog.
But TR feels more tank'd than RE in this aspect cause in TR you need to do precise jumps.
I could see analog, controlling the camera and Lara to be more responsive. Just like if you press jump, Lara will jump instantly. The speed to be a bit increase. The rest could remain the same and maybe it could be alright enough ?