Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > International Tomb Raider Forums

Old 12-01-11, 16:51   #1411
Ol.a

I'm very boring to search for the correct post,and because i don't understand what XL wrote to you so, quickly:
- Models are in .mesh format, so, the file in their folder is a .mesh file.
- This file cannot be imported in Blender.

What to do:
- Load the model in XNALara.
- Hit F11 to export the model as .mesh.ascii
- Save it in the same folder, so that it has its textures, and name it Generic_Item (so, its name will be 'Generic_Item.mesh.ascii').
- The .mesh.ascii is the file you can import in Blender and make changes.
Ol.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-11, 06:56   #1412
XNAaraL

Default First steps - What is a Generic_Item Mesh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowFace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAaraL View Post
Test the tool chain. Workflow pipeline.

Short Description:
  • 1 - 1: Copy the folder with a model with new Name.
  • 2 - 3: Convert a model made by Dusan as Generic_Item Mesh.
  • 7 -10: Import the copy as Generic_Item in Blender with bones (File->Import->MeshAsciiExt).
  • 11 : Export the model as Generic_Item.mesh.ascii
  • 15 : Convert the result to Generic_Item.mesh with GeMeshAsciiToBin.exe
Step-by-step for Blender

1th ...
--
2th Load the original model into XNALara. In the main window, hit the function key F11 to convert the model as Generic_Item.mesh .
<-clicky

3th Use as filename: Generic_Item !!! The extension .mesh.ascii addet XNALara automatical
<-Click for fullsize

7th Import a Model as Generic_Item.mewsh.ascii in Blender with bones (File->Import->MeshAsciiExt).
<-- clicky

9th Choose Generic_Item.mesh.ascii and hit Import and Ok.
<- Clicky
When you mean "Convert a model as Generic_Item.Mesh", is it supposed to be imported, despite the fact that it isn't a MeshAsciiExt? And what do you use to convert this? I attempted on another model who had the "Generic_Item.Mesh" file already and it would not import. I read everything, however, I am just a little confused at some points. >_<

Ack. This modding stuff is really a piece of work. You guys have my utmost respect.
Thanks for the respect, but it is like drive a bicycle. First it is really a piece of work. After short time, you make this without using your brain.

Thanks also for the hint. Your feedback helps to improve the tutorials. I change my bad wording:
"Step 2 and step 3: Generalize a model made by dusan by push the F11 button (XNALara) and using the filename Generic_Item.mesh.ascii ! This Format can imported with Blender as MeshAsciiExt " This is step 7, step 8 and step 9 in my tutorial "First steps - Test the tool chain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol.a View Post
I'm very boring to search for the correct post,and because i don't understand what XL wrote to you so, quickly:
- This file cannot be imported in Blender.

What to do:
- Hit F11 to export the model as Generic_Item.mesh.ascii
- Save it in the same folder, so that it has its textures, and name it Generic_Item (so, its name will be 'Generic_Item.mesh.ascii').
- The .mesh.ascii is the file you can import in Blender and make changes.

Last edited by XNAaraL; 13-01-11 at 09:34.
XNAaraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-11, 08:38   #1413
Ol.a

Old 14-01-11, 06:25   #1414
XNAaraL

Default multiple mesh error -- unknown mesh type error

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxasKennedy View Post
I need help. I decided to make a certain model poseable, so, I followed this tutorial: dhttp://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...postcount=1262

Anyways, I did everything that was in tutorial, and in the end, I converted .mesh.ascii into .mesh. And I don't know what to do with it. I've put it inside the folder of non-poseable model, but when I imported it, it shows either multiple mesh error or unknown mesh type?? Help me, please! Thank you.
P.S. I've did it with XNA Lara, if you're asking.

Ich benötige Hilfe. Ich beschloss, ein bestimmtes Modell beweglich zu machen nach diesem Tutorial: D http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...postcount=1262

Zum Schluss habe ich die .mesh.ascii Datei in eine .mesh Datei gewandelt. Ich habe allerdings keine Ahnung was ich damit machen soll. Ich habe sie in den Ordner des nicht-beweglichen Modell kopiert, aber wenn ich versuche mein Modell mit XNALara zu laden, dann bekomme ich entweder die Fehlermeldung "multiple mesh" oder "unknown mesh type" Ich bitte um Hilfestellung!
Danke
multiple mesh error

If you have put the Generic_Item.mesh inside the folder of non-poseable model, then you see the error message "multiple mesh" because inside this folder exist already another model !! This other Model are the non-poseable model This model consists of two files, recognizable by the extensions .obj and .mtl OR one file with the extension .mesh .

Solution:
  • Deletet this 2 files.
  • OR: Move the file Generic_Item.mesh over the Icon "ModPublisher.exe" The result is a new Subdirectory with all nessesary files (Mesh, textures and readme.txt)

================================================== =
Unknown mesh type error:
This error message is generated when the file directory of the MOD is identical to the name of a model by Dusan. Example: Folder name lara_jungle_pants

Solution: Rename your folder. Example: New folder name RK_lara_jungle_pants

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ German translation +++++++++++++
Multiple mesh error:
Diese Fehlermeldung bekommt ihr immer dann, wenn sich in einem Modell Ordner mehrere Modelle befinden! In dem hier vorliegenden Falle ist nach dem Kopieren der Generic_Item.mesh Datei in das Verzeichniss des unbeweglichen Modells das unbewegliche .obj und das bewegliche .mesh in dem gleichen Ordner

Lösung:
Löscht einfach die .obj und die .mtl Datei aus dem Ordner heraus!
Noch besser: Einfach die Datei Generic_Item.mesh über das Program-Icon von ModPublisher schieben Das Ergebniss ist ein neuer Unter-Ordner mit allen benötigten Dateien und Texturen

====================================

"Unknown mesh type" Fehlermeldung:
Diese Fehlermeldung bekommt ihr dann, wenn ein MOD-Ordner den gleichen Namen hat wie ein von Dusan veröffentlichtes Modell. Zum Beispiel: Ihr benutzt als Directory Namen "lara_jungle_pants"

Lösung:
Benennt das Verzeichniss um. Zum Beispiel durch das voranstellen eures Bigrams --> XL_lara_jungle_pants

Last edited by XNAaraL; 14-01-11 at 08:13.
Old 14-01-11, 08:27   #1415
XNAaraL

Default Invisible model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Raid View Post
Are you sure there are not more than one .mesh in the folder? Maybe there is an .obj in there as well?

Also, are you sure it is named generic_item.mesh?
Quote:
I've realized it before you posted this and I've fixed that, but I got another problem. When import the model, it's invisible! Here is the pic for you to see:
  • If you have make a new folder with only the Generic_Item.mesh, then copy also all textures inside this folder. See also ModPublisher
  • If you have all textures inside your MOD folder and you see only the skeleton, then maybe you have by follow this tutorial not use the Button F11 for the static model? This Generalize the model by adding the right render-group-numbers. See also here

BTW:
You know the collection "Frequently Made Mistakes" ?
Solutions for invisible models a point 6 in this collection of usefull instructions

Last edited by XNAaraL; 14-01-11 at 08:52.
Old 14-01-11, 08:41   #1416
XNAaraL

Quote:
I cannot find "texture" inside Generic_item.mesh. Does "unused" have to do with it?
You need to convert the Generic_item.mesh to Generic_item.mesh.ascii.

Download GeMeshAsciiToBin.exe from here! This upload contains also a program called GeMeshBinToAscii.exe
Put this (new version) program inside your MOD folder and move the file Generic_Item.mesh over the icon "GeMeshBinToAscii.exe". The result is a new file with the name Generic_Item.mesh.ascii. Open this file with notepad and follow the instructions by Love2Raid.

See also the amazing tutorial by Ol.a here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol.a View Post
I'm very boring to search for the correct post, so quickly:
- This file cannot be imported in Blender or used with notepad.

What to do:
- Hit F11 to export the model as .mesh.ascii
- The .mesh.ascii is the file you can import in Blender or open with notepad and make changes.

Last edited by XNAaraL; 14-01-11 at 09:01.
Old 15-01-11, 01:29   #1417
Love2Raid

I hope someone can help me, I have a lot of issues with a model I´m working on:

1. The dress looks very shiny in XNA, but I can´t find the cause in the mesh.ascii. The shine value is just 0.1. I have this same problem with another mod. I don´t understand what is causing this and how I can fix it.
  2. There are some buggy faces. They look transparent in XNA, but fine in Blender (no flipped normals). Maybe it´s because of the ´inner dress´? It´s a seperate mesh (you can see it through the holes) and very close of course to the outer dress. XNALara seems to have a problem with faces that are too close to each other, in layers.
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 07:26   #1418
Ol.a

1. Did you added the textures manually in notepad? If yes, then put the .ascii back in Blender nad re-assign the textures. This strange light re-action will be lost!
See here, step 5.
2. About transparent faces: Flip them again! When in Blender, press Shift+T (the result must be to see your model with textures, but it looks better than pressing the 'Textured' button) and see how do these faces look. I really think you have to flip them again..
Otherewise, select them, press Ctrl+N - Recalculate outside.
Abouth the inner drees: how did you make it? (I have done the same on Ignis, this is why I ask).
The 'Solidify' option will help you to keep the inner dress in a 'safe' distance.
Well, I can help further, if i don't know the answers to these questions..
Old 15-01-11, 14:50   #1419
Love2Raid

Thank you Ol.a!

I added all textures in Blender, but I will try to reassign them, because I remember some were indeed called ´tex´.

The dress looks fine in texture mode, but I will try shiftT to see if it makes a difference.

I wish I could say I made it, but I didn´t.
It´s a Tekken 6 model. Those are quite buggy in general, but I managed to fix many bugs already...
So the inner dress was already in this place, I didn´t manipulate it (except for bone weights).

Thanks for your advice.
I will be back later because I will need help with adding new bones to the armature.

Edit:

Okay, I checked with Shift T, both meshes (dress and inner dress), and there are no errors visible. Then I thought I could make a test render, so I did. It looked not right. T_T
But the renders of the dress alone and inner dress alone looked fine!

I think I need to move the inner dress further away from the outer dress, because that seems to be the problem. But please, tell me how the solidify selection tool can help out!

Will it mess up the textures?

Last edited by Love2Raid; 15-01-11 at 16:13.
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 16:21   #1420
$AtlantiB$

that shine error happens often when you use new mesh, or import obj and made it poseable
the only solution i know:
loa model inro XNALara. press F11 export it. import just exported file into blender. export it from bleder. convert to mesh. FIXED =)
$AtlantiB$ is offline   Reply With Quote